Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Everyone is so caught up with capacity. Statistics show that gun fights end in 3-4 shots. So I think it's more important to get something you can hit with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I keep bouncing around in my head between the Hellcat, Ruger Max-9, Shield Plus and the 365. I've held all four in the gun store and liked the feel of the Max-9 the best. But it is a rattle trap when you shake it. Does that mean it's no good? Probably not. The 365 just feels too small to for me. (I'm a medium sized guy) From the reviews I've seen, the Shield Plus seems to be the better pistol. But for some unexplainable reason I have a hard time warming up to S&W pistols. Keep in mind that I haven't shot any of these guns yet.

Then there is the Hellcat. I have an XDm that I've had for probably 10 years that I like very much. Well built with zero issues so far. Currently when I do carry, it is my Xde which is also well built and trouble free. So I'm familiar with Springfield and respect their products. I'm looking for something smaller than the XDe for summer carry. But as you all are aware, the Hellcat, at least according to most video reviews, has a reputation for being somewhat snappy. (There's that 'S' word.) So I'm sure that some of you folks find it to be that way and some don't. I realize that a pistol that small and light will not be as comfortable to shoot as a larger heavier gun. My question is, have any of you tried a grip sleeve, like a Hogue? If so did that change the amount of felt recoil? I have Pachmeyr sleeves on a few pistols and they have a slight palm swell which I really like.

Out of that group of four pistols mentioned above, I want to like the Hellcat the most. I guess what I need to do is go and rent the Hellcat and maybe the Ruger or Shield to experience the perceived recoil.

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Hellcar

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think if you went with the Springfield Armory HellCat OSP you would not be disappointed I have the OSP and have the Swamp Fox Sentinel Green Dot mounted on it. I have had my Springfield Hell Cat since it came out on the market. I was impressed with the feel and accuracy of the Hell Cat OSP after returning the Sig 365 3 times because the slide locked forward in the battery position and I could not retract the slide. I was disgusted and sold it when I got it back for the third time. I settled with the Hell Cat OSP.and I am happy with it I have about 1000 rounds thru mine without one malfunction or failure to fire or Jam. I recommend the Hogue Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve it tames the stout recoil of the Hell Cat 9mm. I also recommend some type of security locking holster to prevent your firearm from being snatched. There is a high incidence of Snatch & Grab from both open carry and concealed cwp holders. It just gives you time to recover your firearm and turns the table of the thug doing a Snatch & Grab.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
298 Posts
Black Rifle - did you find that the added Hogue grip helped at all with recoil?

The one thing that always gets mentioned with the Hellcat is the recoil. It bothers some people but doesn't seem to bother others. I'm sure that I could deal with it two handed, but in an emergency situation, how bad would a one handed grip be?

Thanks for your input.

Yes, the Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve helps tame the Stout Recoil of the Hell Cat the recoil is not a problem with the grip sleeve I like it. I even have one on my Ruger LCPII .22 LR Backup.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think if you went with the Springfield Armory HellCat OSP you would not be disappointed I have the OSP and have the Swamp Fox Sentinel Green Dot mounted on it. I have had my Springfield Hell Cat since it came out on the market. I was impressed with the feel and accuracy of the Hell Cat OSP after returning the Sig 365 3 times because the slide locked forward in the battery position and I could not retract the slide. I was disgusted and sold it when I got it back for the third time. I settled with the Hell Cat OSP.and I am happy with it I have about 1000 rounds thru mine without one malfunction or failure to fire or Jam. I recommend the Hogue Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve it tames the stout recoil of the Hell Cat 9mm. I also recommend some type of security locking holster to prevent your firearm from being snatched. There is a high incidence of Snatch & Grab from both open carry and concealed cwp holders. It just gives you time to recover your firearm and turns the table of the thug doing a Snatch & Grab.

View attachment 847308
Hogue grip looks so soft and grippy. They should make tactical pillows pillows. 😴

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For those who may have missed post #16 above, I did purchase a Hellcat on Monday. I also started another thread about it.

I received my CYA holster yesterday and am expecting my Hogue grip on Saturday. I'll post up some pictures soon of that stuff. So far I'm really liking the Hellcat and thinking it will work well as a carry pistol. I was looking at Microws for summer carry instead of my XDe, but see no reason not to carry the Hellcat whatever the season. It's smaller, lighter and holds more than the XDe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For those who may have missed post #16 above, I did purchase a Hellcat on Monday. I also started another thread about it.

I received my CYA holster yesterday and am expecting my Hogue grip on Saturday. I'll post up some pictures soon of that stuff. So far I'm really liking the Hellcat and thinking it will work well as a carry pistol. I was looking at Microws for summer carry instead of my XDe, but see no reason not to carry the Hellcat whatever the season. It's smaller, lighter and holds more than the XDe.
Outstanding I hope you enjoy the HellCat as much as I do. Springfield Armory is my favorite handgun I own the XDE .45 , XDM 4.5" 9mm, XDM Elite 5.25" 9mm, XD .45 Tactical 5.25", HellCat OSP 9mm.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
For the line-up you mention, I just can't really get warmed up to the Rugers..... not sure what it is, but never seem to "do it" for me.

Any of the other three I think are excellent choices. The S&W, Hellcat and 365 are all very good choices IMO.

I think the only really good way to make that decision is to spend some time on the range with each and see what works best for you. If you want an optic on one, the Hellcat and 365 are ready. I don't know about the S&W.

When all cards are on the table, I think the Hellcat still has the highest round capacity, and so would probably lean that way. Heck, it carries more than my XDMc with the flush mag, in a smaller, lighter package!! :oops:

(oops..... just saw your update... congrats on the purchase! great decision).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you looked at the Taurus TX22? I've got two of them. Not a single problem so far. A very fun gun.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

I love mine! I've Instructed two shooting classes shooting 1000 Rounds of CCI 40 Grain Round Nose Target ammo without a jamb or failure to fire, not one malfunction this is a great trainer pistol and a perfect pistol for dispatching Coyotes and Hogs Caught in traps. Not to mention the 16 + 1 .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
View attachment 847311

I love mine! I've Instructed two shooting classes shooting 1000 Rounds of CCI 40 Grain Round Nose Target ammo without a jamb or failure to fire, not one malfunction this is a great trainer pistol and a perfect pistol for dispatching Coyotes and Hogs Caught in traps. Not to mention the 16 + 1 .
I've got that exact one and my original one in the black. No trouble with either. Love them.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Carry extra mags…slim, light, and essentially eliminate one key pistol malfunction variable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I carry a 911 (380) and two spare mags at home out and about it is 357 Sig or more likely a 40 S&W with capacity.

Reactions: JMag

·
Registered
61 Posts
Everyone is so caught up with capacity. Statistics show that gun fights end in 3-4 shots. So I think it's more important to get something you can hit with.
I was robbed by three persons and after that I care a little more about capacity. They were lucky that day. I was carrying a Glock 20 at that time and got lazy and left it home that day to run some mid-day errands. I do have an XDS Mod2 in 45 and most of my stuff is 45s, but man this Hellcat is such a well done pistol that I'm learning to love 9mm again for daily carry. A 13rd Springfield 5" Tactical 45 remains on the night stand but I'm starting think about putting an XDM Elite there due its crazy capacity.

·
Registered
Long time collector
8 Posts
Took my Hellcat out today for the first time with the Swampfox and 2nd time firing it and I can't say enough good things about this little powerhouse. Earned a top spot on my EDC rotation. Ordered 3-13rd mags for it and have a Mitch Rosen holster on the way. Might get me another one just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Took my Hellcat out today for the first time with the Swampfox and 2nd time firing it and I can't say enough good things about this little powerhouse. Earned a top spot on my EDC rotation. Ordered 3-13rd mags for it and have a Mitch Rosen holster on the way. Might get me another one just for the hell of it.
OUTSTANDING I Love my Hell Cat Swampfox Sentinel combo not sure what Mitch Rosen Holster is, I prefer a more secure holster with either a thumb break or a Push button or lever release to prevent a snatch and grab and secure the firearm. Firearm security and retention are important and many who carry never think about that. In a struggle with an attacker, you can lose the firearm due the no retention security ie a thumb break or a push button or lever release. Some attackers bump into their victims and feel them for a firearm and then strike.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was robbed by three persons and after that I care a little more about capacity. They were lucky that day. I was carrying a Glock 20 at that time and got lazy and left it home that day to run some mid-day errands. I do have an XDS Mod2 in 45 and most of my stuff is 45s, but man this Hellcat is such a well done pistol that I'm learning to love 9mm again for daily carry. A 13rd Springfield 5" Tactical 45 remains on the night stand but I'm starting think about putting an XDM Elite there due its crazy capacity.
I love my XD .45 Tactical 5.25 " and the 13 round mags but the Hell Cat is my everyday carry with the SwampFox Sentinel Green Dot optic. Loaded with the ARX 65 grain rounds they leave the muzzle well over 1600 FPS and they are deadly.

·
Registered
Long time collector
8 Posts
OUTSTANDING I Love my Hell Cat Swampfox Sentinel combo not sure what Mitch Rosen Holster is, I prefer a more secure holster with either a thumb break or a Push button or lever release to prevent a snatch and grab and secure the firearm. Firearm security and retention are important and many who carry never think about that. In a struggle with an attacker, you can lose the firearm due the no retention security ie a thumb break or a push button or lever release. Some attackers bump into their victims and feel them for a firearm and then strike.
Mitch Rosen makes high quality leather goods. I ordered a 5JR model and they have one with a thumb break if thats your preference. I have a couple for my 1911 .45's and they are really comfortable. Not the cheapest holster around but I prefer leather over Kydex or nylon. Check em out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mitch Rosen makes high quality leather goods. I ordered a 5JR model and they have one with a thumb break if thats your preference. I have a couple for my 1911 .45's and they are really comfortable. Not the cheapest holster around but I prefer leather over Kydex or nylon. Check em out.
I will google it, I am old school I like Leather holsters with some type of security & retention!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts