Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep bouncing around in my head between the Hellcat, Ruger Max-9, Shield Plus and the 365. I've held all four in the gun store and liked the feel of the Max-9 the best. But it is a rattle trap when you shake it. Does that mean it's no good? Probably not. The 365 just feels too small to for me. (I'm a medium sized guy) From the reviews I've seen, the Shield Plus seems to be the better pistol. But for some unexplainable reason I have a hard time warming up to S&W pistols. Keep in mind that I haven't shot any of these guns yet.

Then there is the Hellcat. I have an XDm that I've had for probably 10 years that I like very much. Well built with zero issues so far. Currently when I do carry, it is my Xde which is also well built and trouble free. So I'm familiar with Springfield and respect their products. I'm looking for something smaller than the XDe for summer carry. But as you all are aware, the Hellcat, at least according to most video reviews, has a reputation for being somewhat snappy. (There's that 'S' word.) So I'm sure that some of you folks find it to be that way and some don't. I realize that a pistol that small and light will not be as comfortable to shoot as a larger heavier gun. My question is, have any of you tried a grip sleeve, like a Hogue? If so did that change the amount of felt recoil? I have Pachmeyr sleeves on a few pistols and they have a slight palm swell which I really like.

Out of that group of four pistols mentioned above, I want to like the Hellcat the most. I guess what I need to do is go and rent the Hellcat and maybe the Ruger or Shield to experience the perceived recoil.

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
Long time collector
4 Posts
Just bought a Hellcat 3 days ago with manual thumb safety and I put a Swampfox Sentinel optic on it. Its a handful at the range but hits the target with ease. rapid fire is a controllable and I didn't have not one misfire or jam. 200rds fired and it was flawless. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I spent a good deal of time looking into the same thing. If size is a concern and you can't see all of them together at your local gun-store, this might help: Springfield XD-E 3.3" vs Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield Plus size comparison | Handgun Hero

I was disappointed with the P365 at the gun-store especially holding it next to the Hellcat. It didn't seem to be better than the Hellcat in anyway. I've heard that the Shield followed by the Hellcat are the least snappy, so if recoil is a concern, you probably should rent those too.

The Shield seemed too big for the micro-compact class to me, but I'm really tall and skinny (the grip-wise height is actually greater than an XDM Compact).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I keep bouncing around in my head between the Hellcat, Ruger Max-9, Shield Plus and the 365. I've held all four in the gun store and liked the feel of the Max-9 the best. But it is a rattle trap when you shake it. Does that mean it's no good? Probably not. The 365 just feels too small to for me. (I'm a medium sized guy) From the reviews I've seen, the Shield Plus seems to be the better pistol. But for some unexplainable reason I have a hard time warming up to S&W pistols. Keep in mind that I haven't shot any of these guns yet.

Then there is the Hellcat. I have an XDm that I've had for probably 10 years that I like very much. Well built with zero issues so far. Currently when I do carry, it is my Xde which is also well built and trouble-free. So I'm familiar with Springfield and respect their products. I'm looking for something smaller than the XDe for summer carry. But as you all are aware, the Hellcat, at least according to most video reviews, has a reputation for being somewhat snappy. (There's that 'S' word.) So I'm sure that some of you folks find it to be that way and some don't. I realize that a pistol that small and light will not be as comfortable to shoot as a larger heavier gun. My question is, have any of you tried a grip sleeve, like a Hogue? If so did that change the amount of felt recoil? I have Pachmeyr sleeves on a few pistols and they have a slight palm swell which I really like.

Out of that group of four pistols mentioned above, I want to like the Hellcat the most. I guess what I need to do is go and rent the Hellcat and maybe the Ruger or Shield to experience the perceived recoil.

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
You want trouble-free peace of mind then I think the Springfield Hell Cat is the way to go when considering the High Capacity Micro Compact firearms. I must say Like mine so much I purchased a used one for my Son it came with the Swampfox Sentinel red dot optic installed on it,I was so impressed with the accuracy of the SwampFox Sentinel I purchased one for my Hell Cat but I chose a Green Dot over the Red and I must say I can see green a lot better during the daylight. I Purchased a secure locking paddle Holster that accommodates the Green Dot SWAMP FOX it has good Locking retention preventing a snatched handgun. I carry the 9mm ARX round for close-quarters engagements. Now Springfield has 15 round Magazines for the Hell Cat I purchased two of them . I carry 4 mags with all my semi-auto Handguns. I installed the Hogue Grip Sleeve to help tame the recoil but the 65 Grain ARX Rounds the recoil is not as stout and factory ball ammo. It's the perfect self-defense handgun.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Automotive design Bag Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just bought a Hellcat 3 days ago with manual thumb safety and I put a Swampfox Sentinel optic on it. Its a handful at the range but hits the target with ease. rapid fire is a controllable and I didn't have not one misfire or jam. 200rds fired and it was flawless. Highly recommend it.
outstanding!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the Hogue Grip Sleeve to help tame the recoil but the 65 Grain ARX Rounds the recoil is not as stout and factory ball ammo. It's the perfect self-defense handgun.

View attachment 847032 View attachment 847033
Black Rifle - did you find that the added Hogue grip helped at all with recoil?

The one thing that always gets mentioned with the Hellcat is the recoil. It bothers some people but doesn't seem to bother others. I'm sure that I could deal with it two handed, but in an emergency situation, how bad would a one handed grip be?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Goodness, we are talking about a 9mm here not a 44 magnum, suck it up Personally I am hoping for a 45 acp Hellcat.

Padraig
I use to think the same way but my ruger lcrx changed my mind. It's not gonna jump out of your hand but after a few cylinders the palm of your hand will start to feel it. To all the Hellcat owners how would you compare the recoil to the Xd sc?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I have been a little concerned about the recoil. If I don't enjoy the gun then I won't practice with it much.

I watch a lot of video reviews of guns on YT. One of the best in my opinion is Honest Outlaw. He does 1000 round reviews of some of his pistols and the Hellcat was one of them. He apologized for taking almost a year to get to 1000 rounds with the Hellcat. He said it took him so long because it was no fun to shoot. And that fellow is a lot bigger and younger than I am.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm a fan of honest outlaw. I can't imagine there being a big difference between all the new micro 9's. I love my XD sc's but they are little pigs. I truthfully would have no problem carrying a 22lr pistol. I know I can dump a full mag out of my Phoenix Arms hp22 on to a torso sized target. I'm sure with today's high end modern 22lr ammo. A good modern pistol should be able to run 100% with good ammo. A Ruger sr22 I think would great candidate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you looked at the Taurus TX22? I've got two of them. Not a single problem so far. A very fun gun.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Online reviews and videos. I'm in california so if it's not on the california handgun rooster it's not legal. Here in california we are very limited on pistol choices. It's ridiculous filthy corrupt politicians determine what guns are safe and which aren't 😆. Mean while criminals can have what ever they can get there hands on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had just about all the "big name" micro 9s except for the new Ruger and S&W. The only pistol that remains is the Hellcat. The recoil is no where near as bad as some portray. I'd rather shoot it than my LCP or airweight as those things are like holding a mousetrap going off. I admit to never shooting more than 200-250rds at a time, but don't feel the need as it has had ZERO malfunctions and not a range gun. I have looked for reasons to get a new micro, but there is not a micro that can technically beat the HC.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Please check out the Sig Sauer P238. Yes it is a .380 but VERY accurate and comfortable.
Low capacity to boot! I have a Mustang XSP and a Springfield 911 so I do like the platform, but they have less than half the capacity of a normal Hellcat 9 MM.

Reactions: Black Rifle Reviews

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Low capacity to boot! I have a Mustang XSP and a Springfield 911 so I do like the platform, but they have less than half the capacity of a normal Hellcat 9 MM.
Carry extra mags…slim, light, and essentially eliminate one key pistol malfunction variable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Padraig
1 - 20 of 34 Posts