Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new XD sub and a new 4" service which came with the 15 round magazines.Looking at don's guide rod it shows one rod and one spring.The new 4" XD service has a dual recoil spring set up like the sub.I thought only the sub came with the dual spring set up.Both are 9mm.Both shoot like a champ with any ammo and no failures at all.Both are a captive set up.The spring assembly on the sub is much bigger but shorter because of barrel length.

Ed

·
Registered
347 Posts
That is correct. TASF Overkill did a GREAT video and pictoral instruction set on installing the Don's Guide Rod (posted on Pistol-Gear.com I believe as well), and that should help you understand it better. Basically you are changing from a captive spring and dual spring system, to a non-captive single spring. IMHO, the less than can fail, the better. So far I think I've only seen one user on here that had a failure of the stock guide rod/spring assembly, but I figured for the money why not replace it with a one piece that I know won't fail? :)

Matthew

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
msidner said:
That is correct. TASF Overkill did a GREAT video and pictoral instruction set on installing the Don's Guide Rod (posted on Pistol-Gear.com I believe as well), and that should help you understand it better. Basically you are changing from a captive spring and dual spring system, to a non-captive single spring. IMHO, the less than can fail, the better. So far I think I've only seen one user on here that had a failure of the stock guide rod/spring assembly, but I figured for the money why not replace it with a one piece that I know won't fail? :)

Matthew
Thanks Matthew

I have been kind of screwed up the last few days.I had traded a CZ75B 9mm for my sons 75B .40.I had polished the chamber on my 75B 9mm to a mirrow finish and put a 24lb spring in it to compensate for the polished chamber.He had trouble pulling the slide back so we replaced it with an 18lb.Shot the 4" service XD with some white box and some federal 9BPLE +P+ this morning.It has a very tight chamber so the white box throws the cases 8' and the super hot federal 9mm +P+ 9PBLE 4' because of the very tight chamber causes a delayed ejection.So I will leave every thing original on it.I usualy polish the feed ramp and chamber on all my pistols before shooting and never have a fte or ftf on any.I have settled on XD,CZ and Rugers as the only pistols I own.I gave my son my H&K's because he likes them so much.My son was totally against any pistol with a light trigger like the XD, but he kept going on how much he liked the service and the sub.I think I feel a conversion to at least one XD coming.He is like me.We both have more pistols that any one person needs.I think it is called firearms OCD.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts