Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some have reported that their warranty claims were denied because of an aftermarket finish. The first email was sent on or about December 9, I forward it to two others in the company today (the second email) and was sent the third email, which was a very prompt reply. I hope this will set the record straight.

I am the owner of an XD and was curious about something I read. As you are aware we often talk on xdtalk.com about warranty work, mainly with the finish. It is no secret within the shooting world that the XD has a flawed finish. Rust and other types of premature finish failure with respect to the XD are commonplace on sites like AR15.com and xdtalk.com (just to name a few).

My concern is that I read a post from an individual who claims to have failure to feed and failure to eject problems with this gun. It was posted that he contacted Springfield and was told that no warranty work could be performed because someone other than Springfield had refinished the firearm. Is this true? Would Springfield sell a firearm (knowing that there is a substantially higher number of cases that involve a failed finish on this gun than others) and then deny the owner the warranty because it was refinished by someone other than themselves?

This concerns me because I have an XD that has been refinished with Duracoat. Does this mean that my warranty is void? I am also concerned because when I buy my next XD I will have it refinished in Duracoat soon after.

I like the XD allot, but to spend $450 to $500 on a gun that needs a better finish ($50) is bad enough, to spend all of that money and then have the warranty voided would make it more sensible to spend $500-$575 on a Glock, which has one of the best finished on the market and a comparable warranty.

I do not wish to argue the point, I simply feel that XD owners should be on the same page with Springfield. We love the guns and love putting different sights and finishes on them, but if what one individual has said is true, we need to know for future purchases.

Thanks,

I recently sent this email to your custom shop. I have since had no reply and many people are anxiously awaiting a response.

With the soon to be popular 45 ACP coming out it is more important than ever to set the record straight on the XD warranty.

After all, to blame a broken firing pin or extractor on a slide that has been refinished on the outside with duracoat would be unfortunate.

Thanks,

Greg White

(Quoted the above email)

Greg:

Thank you for your support of Springfield Armory. I cannot comment about the case you are referring to, as I don’t know of such a case. I can however say that if you have an aftermarket finish placed on your pistol, there is no way we would not warranty an extraction problem without something being drastically wrong with the finish process. This goes for any problems the pistol may encounter. Please do not hesitate to have your pistols duracoated as I am sure that this will not cause function problems with your firearm.

Thanks,

Drew Herbst

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully others read it too. This whole thing regarding Springfield's parts policy and warranty policy has been blown completely out of proportion. The company stands behind it's products - it took me 2 emails and a phone call to learn that.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
135 Posts
darkfire said:
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully others read it too. This whole thing regarding Springfield's parts policy and warranty policy has been blown completely out of proportion. The company stands behind it's products - it took me 2 emails and a phone call to learn that.

Thanks again!
So can I buy an extra extractor for my 40 service?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
The whole idea of an aftermarket finish voiding a blanket warranty didn't make any sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
149 Posts
gaspipes said:
darkfire said:

Thanks again!
No. You can depend on the one you have. If it fails, send it in for repair, free of charge, shipping paid. If you don't like that, I'll be happy to take the 40 off of your hands.

·
Registered
135 Posts
darkfire said:
gaspipes said:
darkfire said:

Thanks again!
No. You can depend on the one you have. If it fails, send it in for repair, free of charge, shipping paid. If you don't like that, I'll be happy to take the 40 off of your hands.
I've got a better idea. Springfield should SELL me a spare so WHEN not IF it fails I can spend 10 minutes changing out the part. I may send them back my slide minus the extractor and tell them I'm having failure to extract so can get a spare. I bought the gun used so I didn't know the extractor was missing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand their parts warranty process... EXCEPT for an extractor. The parts list is acceptable - as those parts really are non-wear items.. except the extractor. I'm new to guns and I've seen and heard of 3 people (in person.. not counting the forum even) that have had normal wear/tear extractor issues.

Hell, my shells are hitting me in the head. I'd like to be able to try a new extractor - but I can't.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does Drew Herbst have any authority over whoever you get on the phone? Or is he in the same group as whoever you might get on the phone, and is just putting out an answer (like the lady who said they wouldn't warantee a refinished pistol).

-=Whittey=-

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
gaspipes said:
darkfire said:

Thanks again!
Yea, call them up and get me an extractor for my 9 service since it failed on me. Thanks, if you can get it in a couple days to me Darkfire I'd appreciate that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.

I recently sent an email expressing my concerns about the availability of parts for my xd. But i'm waiting over a week now for a reply :cry: :x :cry: :x

If i get a reply, I too will post it.

thanx again

Does SA have a FAQ page? Let me check...I don't see one. GET IT DONE SA!...freakin losers :roll:

·
Registered
149 Posts
nightraider said:
gaspipes said:
darkfire said:

Thanks again!
Yea, call them up and get me an extractor for my 9 service since it failed on me. Thanks, if you can get it in a couple days to me Darkfire I'd appreciate that.
Perhaps you should make the phone call yourself. I have no problem with this policy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts