Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shot my new XD9 for the first time today. I put 500 rounds throught it and was relatively consistent. Tonight I was spending a little time with it and noticed there is a lot more movement of the slide on the frame than
I would expect for a brand new gun. I have a S&W 3914 that I have put over 5000 rounds and it has little if any play in the slide. I'm a little bummed out because this was the first new gun I've purchased in several years and now I'm wondering if it's faulty or just cheap. Any thoughts :?:

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
This weapon is used by a few army's around the world. It is designed to be used in dirty field conditions, hence the looser tolerances are there to accommodate the dirt and grim. If I recall right, there are a few places that can tighten the slide for you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Most combat type pistols don't have a tight frame to slide fit to improve reliability. Guns with tight frame to slide fits are for the most part designed more for accuracy, over reliability.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It has a little bit of play so it can function even if dirt or sand is in the action. Even the original ww II 1911's were really loose. They were not fitted as tight as the modern ones are (which are more desinged toward range accuracy). The new model 1911's wont cycle through dirt like the old ones would. Guns and ammo did the glock test on the xd -9 and it passed with flying colors 20,000 and not one jam. When they did the glock test on the glock they started with a brand new glock then proceded with the 1,000 round , mud, dirt, sand, water, and freeze test. With the xd-9 they first shot 17,500 rounds through it THEN did the glock test and passed.

So trust me you bought a hell of a firearm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts