Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a new XDm Compact 3.8" 9mm, and I noticed a couple of things that don't quite look right. I'm an XD noob, so please bare with me if I'm just paranoid.

First, when the slide is closed, the front disc of the captive recoil spring assembly protrudes from the front face of the gun about 1-2mm. I expected it to be flush
Photography

Second, when a round is chambered, I can see the casing between the back of the barrel and the slide on the right hand side of the gun. Is it normal to have a gap like this between the barrel and the slide?
Yellow Material property Technology Photography Electronics

Are these normal, or am I just paranoid? Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good question. I also got my XDm 3.8 compact 9mm recently and still learning. So your post sent me to my gun room to check it out. Yes front disc of the captive recoil spring assembly protrudes from the front face of the gun about 1-2mm. And when the handgun is in battery I can see a part of the chambered round.

This must be normal. I did a range trip this week and feed my handgun almost 200 rounds without a hitch. No jams and very accurate. Including very old reloads! It held black at 25 yards once I got used to the striker fired system.

I think we're OK. But I must compliment you on being very observant.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Its normal. These are built alittle loose because they are "combat" pistols. I asked the same question when I was new here.

Thumper may come along, he can explain it better than I can.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You can see the brass casing because it serves as a visual loaded chamber indicator. This is so you do not have to press check your weapon to see if you have a round in the chamber.
Unfortunately it (& all loaded chamber indicators for that matter) only show you if a cartridge case is in the barrel. It could be a loaded round or an empty case. But a press check will only show you that unless you press enough to see the bullet is in the case.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The end of the guide rod/recoil spring assembly sticking out the end of the pistol like that serves a purpose. It is a standoff device meant to keep the gun in battery (and thus ready to fire) if it is pressed up against something. Think about a close quarters defensive scenario where the gun is pressed up to the bad guys chest, this feature helps the gun function properly in a such situation. This feature is present on both the XD and XDm lines.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I read your post so I looked at my xdm 3.8c .40 and it is identical to what you discribed, and I have had absolutely no problems with it.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I've decided to not comment on the XD/XDm line of pistols, anymore :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
First, when the slide is closed, the front disc of the captive recoil spring assembly protrudes from the front face of the gun about 1-2mm. I expected it to be flush
View attachment 5751
Shortly after bringing home my new XDm Compact 9mm I stripped it and gave it a thorough cleaning. Upon reassembling I noticed the protrusion and thought "Uh-oh."
So I disassembled, reassembled. Same.
And did it again. Still the same.

Looked around, thinking maybe I dropped/missed something? Wracking my brain trying to figure out what I was missing as everything else looked right. Then I came on the forum to search around and found a few pics that looked identical.

Whew!

An hour and a half wasted but at least I didn't break my new gun.:D

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I've decided to not comment on the XD/XDm line of pistols, anymore :(
Are you going to commit to them any less? ;)
(couldn't resist) :)

Whatcha going to/have you switch(ed) to?
NO ... I'll never give up my primary !!!

But it seems a few people who are pushing a new gun, don't like me asking questions.

So, perhaps talking "any less" is more appropriate :D

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Shortly after bringing home my new XDm Compact 9mm I stripped it and gave it a thorough cleaning. Upon reassembling I noticed the protrusion and thought "Uh-oh."
So I disassembled, reassembled. Same.
And did it again. Still the same.

Looked around, thinking maybe I dropped/missed something? Wracking my brain trying to figure out what I was missing as everything else looked right. Then I came on the forum to search around and found a few pics that looked identical.

Whew!

An hour and a half wasted but at least I didn't break my new gun.:D
I think such things eventually happen to everyone.

Wait till you have a spring disppear, for real, and have to order another one ... I did that with a Browning Buckmark LOL
Never did find that thing.

I also fought a PF9 one evening, can't remember what it was, but the darn slide wouldn't close ... Things happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts