Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I have been considering an XD, or any handgun, for HD and range fun for a few years, just haven't had the motivation to spend the cash. Decided with the possibility that handguns may be harder to get soon, it's time. I'm hoping to find a local gun club with a NRA training course and a CMP program so I can get the M1 I've always wanted as well before it's too late. Anyway, I have my local Springfield dealer ordering me a XD 45ACP Service and I hope to compare it to the 45ACP compact he has. I'm getting my CC but don't really plan to carry, just for ease of transport and that possibility of needing to carry eventually. For some reason I don't like the feeling of the Compact short grip and the extended 13+1 extended mag feels cheap and unstable so I'm probably going with the service model. Is the service model with the 4" barrel still ok for CC? Also are all 45ACP service models 13+1? SA website seems a little confusing, leaves the capacity info out on some of the specs on the 45 ACP. Looking forward to being active here. Go easy on me since I'm a newbie.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome aboard! I've had the XD .45acp Service for a few years and have never regreted purchasing it. Accurate, dependable and has fed every type of ammo I've tried with no problems. Could not ask for more. I carry it concealed and no one has noticed it to my knowledge. You just need the right holster and there are several that will do the job. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
PM me what area you're in... I know a bunch of clubs in my area.

You can also look at joining the GCA to qualify for the CMP. The CMP will take PA Resident License to Carry Firearms Permit as proof of activity in shooting sports.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Welcome from central Missouri. All XD Service .45's are 13 + 1 unless you live in a state that doesn't all the 13 round mag. The service is concealable, but the grip size does make it more of a challenge. Much easier to conceal the service with winter clothing than summer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome from Southern Indiana.

I am a proud owner of an XD45 Service. I can say I can carry it concealed, but I am 6'2", 250 lbs. It is not one that I'd recommend to the average Joe for CC. I, too, had issues with the Compact version, just didn't fell solid in my hands. I have an OWB Blackhawk Serpa Sportster, an Uncle Mikes IWB and am looking at a Crossbreed Supertuck. A buddy of mine said that you'll probably end up with several holsters, each for a different carry need. At this rate, I'll have one for every day of the week, and 2 for Sunday :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
127,099 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you try the 45 compact with a Pearce grip extension?

Springfield Armory XD Series

For example, they are essential on the subcompact model, which also has a short grip obviously.
I didn't get to try it, but I was thinking it might help. I do remember trying the 9mm sc with a grip like the Pearce and it still seemed too small, but I may be a little picky. I'd rather have the 13+1 round mag anyway and like I said the 13+1 extended grip for the compact seemed a little flimsy if you know what I mean. It may make no difference when shooting but just didn't feel right in my hand. I may change my mind after hoilding both on Monday at the shop. Either way I'll have one of them soon enough. Looking forward to shooting it very soon.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was all set to buy the XD 45 ACP Service but my local dealer couldn't get one right now for some reason. It gave me time to think my handgun ownership plan a bit more. My wife may be shooting this hand gun so I decided to get a Sub Compact 9mm first so it would be easier for her to get comfortable with. This will be for HD and some fun target shooting. I'll probably go for the XDm 9mm as a second purchase in the coming months as my main range gun once i get signed up with a local shooting club.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
where r u at in PA?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
im near clarion. if you were close, we could shoot sometime.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts