Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You hear it all over the place, "if you want to protect yourself, carry your weapon openly so I can see it and stay clear of you" blah blah blah. Last night I was watching the show "under fire" on court tv and they had a man reported at a gas station with a handgun. Simply the reporting of a man with a gun, nothing else.. no claims of him threatening anyone or anything like that.

Well, they find the car and pull the guy over. They order him out of the car at gunpoint. He gets out and you can clearly see a pistol on his hip in a holster. They handcuff him and he's telling them he hasn't done anything wrong. They ask if he has a concealed weapon. He says he has a concealed weapons permit in his back pocket, but not that he needs it to openly carry in Ohio. Then they ask him if he has any felonies on his record. He tells them no, I can't have any of that stuff if I have a concealed weapons permit, they don't let bad guys get those. You have to prove you have no felonies, violent crimes, etc.. proves you are a good guy.

So for these municipalities who want to ban concealed weapons in parks, and for these stores who want to ban concealed weapons... THIS is why we don't want to carry in the open, because you react like this. If someone has a gun... sure.. I may look at him/her and just be aware of that. But if they do absolutely nothing wrong, don't talk bad to anyone, don't threaten anyone.. then there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.. don't call the cops on people like this!

There are cities in Nebraska who have concealed carry bans in place.. they use the logic of you can just open carry if you feel you need a gun. I really think next time I go through there, I am going to strap my gun onto my hip and see what the reaction is. I realize I may get the cops called on me, but all it will result in is me contacting the news there to tell them my story of how I was reported to police for having a gun, and this is why it's stupid that they ban concealed carry in their city.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,955 Posts
We watched some "COPS" take off video show last night and they had a call about a man with a gun. the did a Felony stop on this guy who had just gotten done pumping gas (i believe). One cop had an AR-15 trained on the guy, they pulled him out and cuffed him. The comentator stated that he not only one gun but TWO!!!! The guy was screaming that they ****ed up, he has his CCW and has not done anything wrong. The commentator did admit he was legally carrying but seemed to make it a big deal that the guy had more than one gun on him... I looked at my wife and said, "big F___ing deal!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
The dash cam video is on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LoXiZO6G6g

Watching the video, it might be helpful for the non-Ohioans here to know that Ohio concealed carry permit holders must A) have their weapon in plain sight in a motor vehicle (unless it is in the glove box or a locked container), and B) immediately inform an officer of their status as a concealed carry holder. The cops in the video are trying to get Dan on SOMETHING, and they try to peg the "failure to inform" on him. But, his defense is that they didn't give him a chance. Plus, they screw up anyway and tell him that they couldn't hear what he was saying when he was still in the car.

The current law is a catch 22. If you are in your car and have a gun on your person, you must have it in plain sight. So, even if you don't intend to carry openly, you take the chance of flashing a gun at somebody every time you get out of your car. Dan chose to just wear them openly pretty much all the time. I think he was a pizza delivery guy at the time, so you can imagine the pain in the butt it would be to constantly conceal and unconceal. (Especially when it is perfectly legal to carry open.)

(These laws are changing in March. It won't be necessary to have the gun in plain sight if it is on your person in a motor vehicle.)

Also, notice how the cop points the AR-15 at passing traffic. Real smart.

My understanding is that the show you watched presented the case in a way that was VERY biased against Dan. The folks on the "Ohioans for Concealed Carry" discussion board are very familiar with the case, and Dan is a regular poster.

http://ohioccwforums.org/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Thank god I live in a place where people are a bit more intelligent. Open carry around here is no big thing. The only people who have a problem with it are California tourists or CA transplants and a quick "It's legal asshat, now shut the **** up or go back to CA" does the trick.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ichy_trigger said:
We watched some "COPS" take off video show last night and they had a call about a man with a gun. the did a Felony stop on this guy who had just gotten done pumping gas (i believe). One cop had an AR-15 trained on the guy, they pulled him out and cuffed him. The comentator stated that he not only one gun but TWO!!!! The guy was screaming that they ****ed up, he has his CCW and has not done anything wrong. The commentator did admit he was legally carrying but seemed to make it a big deal that the guy had more than one gun on him... I looked at my wife and said, "big F___ing deal!"
that was the show I watched, it's called "under fire". exact same video I'm referring to.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D_Fence said:
The dash cam video is on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LoXiZO6G6g

Watching the video, it might be helpful for the non-Ohioans here to know that Ohio concealed carry permit holders must A) have their weapon in plain sight in a motor vehicle (unless it is in the glove box or a locked container), and B) immediately inform an officer of their status as a concealed carry holder. The cops in the video are trying to get Dan on SOMETHING, and they try to peg the "failure to inform" on him. But, his defense is that they didn't give him a chance. Plus, they screw up anyway and tell him that they couldn't hear what he was saying when he was still in the car.

The current law is a catch 22. If you are in your car and have a gun on your person, you must have it in plain sight. So, even if you don't intend to carry openly, you take the chance of flashing a gun at somebody every time you get out of your car. Dan chose to just wear them openly pretty much all the time. I think he was a pizza delivery guy at the time, so you can imagine the pain in the butt it would be to constantly conceal and unconceal. (Especially when it is perfectly legal to carry open.)

(These laws are changing in March. It won't be necessary to have the gun in plain sight if it is on your person in a motor vehicle.)

Also, notice how the cop points the AR-15 at passing traffic. Real smart.

My understanding is that the show you watched presented the case in a way that was VERY biased against Dan. The folks on the "Ohioans for Concealed Carry" discussion board are very familiar with the case, and Dan is a regular poster.

http://ohioccwforums.org/
the show clearly pointed out that he was in compliance with local firearms laws, but mostly said the only thing he was guilty of shooting off.. was his mouth. basically because he was just telling them he did nothing wrong, they had no reason to pull him over, etc. and how he has a ccw permit and is not breaking any laws.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,154 Posts
Verm said:
Thank god I live in a place where people are a bit more intelligent. Open carry around here is no big thing. The only people who have a problem with it are California tourists or CA transplants and a quick "It's legal asshat, now shut the **** up or go back to CA" does the trick.
Northern Nevada's Great isn't it :).


I've never open carried here, but I have a feeling I'd have very little problem if I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Commie cities in TX tried to ban guns from parks even though state law allowe dit, so the legislature passed a law making it very clear that municipalities could NOT ban CCW in parks. Regretfully Dallas and Houston are run, and populated by Comunists. Us conservatives head for the conservative burbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
jednp said:
There are cities in Nebraska who have concealed carry bans in place.. they use the logic of you can just open carry if you feel you need a gun. I really think next time I go through there, I am going to strap my gun onto my hip and see what the reaction is. I realize I may get the cops called on me, but all it will result in is me contacting the news there to tell them my story of how I was reported to police for having a gun, and this is why it's stupid that they ban concealed carry in their city.
Actually, one of the contributing factors in Ohio passing concealed carry legislation a few years ago were "self-defense marches" thoughout the state where people turned out and walked carrying open. Reard more here:

http://www.ohioccw.org/index.php?option=com_kb&page=articles&articleid=29&Itemid=57
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,568 Posts
sermon8r said:
WOW ....

I never open carry ....

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."

Proverbs 15:1 KJV
Now, I'm a Christian, but I don't see how that scripture applies here. :confused:

I have opened carry before, with nothing happening of it. I am VERY pro Open Carry. ANYTHING that inhibits my right to own, posess, carry etc.. etc.. my gun, is in my opinion, a bad thing.

Matt

p.s. If you have time, everyone, check out www.opencarry.org for more info regarding open carry.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
D_Fence said:
Actually, one of the contributing factors in Ohio passing concealed carry legislation a few years ago were "self-defense marches" thoughout the state where people turned out and walked carrying open. Reard more here:

http://www.ohioccw.org/index.php?option=com_kb&page=articles&articleid=29&Itemid=57
interesting.. I had heard about that march, but I had never read anything on it. I like how in one of the stories it says while the consitution may give you the right to keep and bear arms, it does not give you the right to carry concealed weapons. Alright then... show me where in the consitution does it say that they can tell you that you can or cannot carry either way? It doesn't say you have the right to open arms.. and it doesn't say that you cannot conceal your arms. Merely that you have the right to bear arms, which means carry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Once they're informed a guy is carrying a gun, I feel they are obligated to follow up on it. In today's society, I feel someone openly walking around with a firearm may constitute a threat. Not -does- constitute a threat, not -is- a threat, but -may- constitute a threat. For the LEO who is sworn to uphold public safety, this is worthy of investigation. IMO, they should show up, check the situation / credentials, and move on their way once it's clarified.

While within his -rights-, common sense states there may (will?) be certain repercussions to openly carry in today's society. Rights are one thing, the concern of the sheeple is another. I'd hate to think of the legal liability of police -not- investigating "a man with guns at the gas station" claim, only to later find he -was- a criminal, and a robbery / shooting / homicide had occured. Whoops.
Amazing. Attitudes like this are precisely why we needed concealed carry laws in the first place. Many sheeple associate guns with criminal activity immediately. I mean by this rationale, I should be able to call in someone wearing a blue bandana on their head because they might be a gang member. And what would happen if the cops didn't arrest and hassle said "gang-banger" and a crime occurred? Whoops.

Here in Colorado we have open-carry because there is no law banning the practice. But very few people open-carry here because Colorado has a felony menacing law. Basically, if someone is "alarmed" by the sight of your gun, they can call the cops on you and you just may get charged with felony menacing. Felony! For carrying a gun openly and legally.

No one bothered to ask the caller if the person was even touching the gun! They just assumed he was a criminal and did a lovely little felony stop on his ass. I guess I just think someone should have had the brains to ask the caller what crime was being committed.

Anyway, if you have a CCW permit, just conceal your weapon. This is exactly why. Now I know people will make the argument that the more we open-carry the more people will get used to it. But I'm not gonna be the guinea pig. Hence the CCW.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top