Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help!!!! Please help me, I am 5' 9" about 175# and cant conceal my XD-40 4" service model. Right now I am using an Uncle Mikes nylon holster {IWB/OWB}. But every time i put it on you can clearly see a bulge. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again LOST

·
Registered
643 Posts
which holster? Mike's makes several nylon holsters. Have you tried poitioning behind your hip? Have you gone to your local gun shop and tried other kinds of holsters? Alot of people end up using a IWB holster that is comfortable to them, and conceals well on their frame. I would shop around.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Maybe you need to wear looser shirts? I am about your size and I don't have much trouble concealing my 4" XD9.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good concealment requires a good holster and belt. I suggest an inside the waistband holster, and highly endorse the Comp-Tac CTAC. I carry a Sig P229 which is the same size as your XD, and was on the verge of giving up on concealed carry with it when I found the CTAC. The holster is adjustable so you can find just the right cant and depth for the best comfort and concealment.

The regular clips work superbly but are visible. I didn't like the C-clips but the XD is lighter and maybe the c-clips would be ok. (You can heat the c-clips in hot water and bend them to make them work a bit better). The V-clips get very good reviews but you'll have to get a good leather belt and have velcro sewn in, or buy a belt from tucker http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/1bube.html. The more cant the holster has the easier the gun conceals in general. Also, sliding the holster forward or rearward on your belt slightly can make a big difference. For a belt I really like the Wilderness brand both for appearance and for their utility. You don't need to get the stiffener version, the regular version works great. I also have a decent leather belt that I use sometimes. Don't underestimate the importance of a good belt! You will also need a cover garment. A dark shirt with an irregular pattern works very well. Something like a Hawaiian shirt. Light colors and small regular patterns tend to show bulges. With an outside the waistband type holster you will need a longer cover garment, and it will be harder to conceal. Also, don't be too paranoid about slight bulges. Everybody carries cellphones these days and nobody gets upset about a slight bulge. Besides, nobody even pays attention and so they wouldn't see a bulge if it were there! I understand that concealed means concealed, but that doesn't mean invisible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
"You cannot be a slave to fashion and carry serious hardware."

I don't remember who said it, but I think it was John Farnam. To some extend, you are going to have to dress around this gun. That means pants 2" larger than your waist size, if you go IWB, and it means stiff cover garments (That don't bulge) like leather, or quilted cloth. It means patterned material for lighter cover garments (patterned cloth like plaid or paisley or whatnot hides bulges much better). And it means shelling out bucks for a holster that pulls close to the body. Nylon holsters generally don't, but some pancake style nylons do.

My suggestion would be to experiment with holsters of different configurations. Buy the cheap versions to experiment, and if you feel they still need to be improved, really spend for a nice one of whatever configuration you go with. Also, re-evaluate your wardrobe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Comp-Tac holsters conceal really well. Nylon holsters tend to be a little thicker than a Kydex holster. I have a pro-undercover and you can't tell that I'm packing when I carry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the help. Right now my holster is and uncle mikes sidekick size 16. Like i stated earlier it doesnt conceal so well i will have to try the c-tac it looks like it will work. Just one more ?. Right now i am a size 32 in the waist. What size pants sould i buy?.i dont want to look like a rap star with my pants off my but. Once again THANKS LOST

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unless your pants are skin tite I would just stick with the same size or get a pair of 33's. The best would be to just try out the holster when you get it and then take it to the store when you try on pants.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I have a FIST #8 and carry my HS2000 under a loose fitting shirt just fine.
I suspect that if your Uncle Mikes nylon is their basic model, that may be your problem. They are great range holsters, but not so good for concealed carry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If any of you have photos of yourself with and without packing so i can get an idea of what it should look like I would greatly thank you I am trying to show my wife what it is suppose to look like. Thanks again LOST

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
LOST said:
Thanks guys for all the help. Right now my holster is and uncle mikes sidekick size 16. Like i stated earlier it doesnt conceal so well i will have to try the c-tac it looks like it will work. Just one more ?. Right now i am a size 32 in the waist. What size pants should i buy?.i don't want to look like a rap star with my pants off my but. Once again THANKS LOST
I still wear my same size right behind the hip .only tightens them a little and helps support the gun.if you plan right on the hip add an inch or two.I am to bony for that. :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lost, I don't have any pictures but it doesn't matter. When ccw there should be no difference in appearance. If you look really really closely you might notice that my right hip sticks a bit further out from centerline but you might not notice. When bending over the butt of the gun might make a slight bulge in my shirt.

The tell tale give aways are belt loops from the holster with a tuckable holster. Other than that the differences are really imperceptable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been carrying for a little over 2 months now. When I first started carrying my XD sub I was concerned that everyone would know. I've sent the sub out for a refinish job and have been carrying a G17 (about the same size or larger as a service). I made a mistake, picked up my little girl to put her in the shopping cart and my shirt pulled up on the butt of the gun at the grocery store, nobody said a thing except for my wife when we were walking to the car. I'm looking forward to getting my subbie back soon, i've grown so use to hiding the Glock, my XD will probably feel like a kel-tec.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people are for the most part, clueless. I never really checked out to see if anyone was packing until I started carrying myself. Not to sound like a homophobe, but I usually don't check out men around the waist area.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I had a similar incident when I was trying on shoes and a lady seem it and split.I am always to busy looking for bad guy's to even pay any attention to look for others carrying legally.If I seen someone suspicious with it stuck in the front of their pants I might notice :shock:

·
Registered
725 Posts
LOST said:
I need some help!!!! Please help me, I am 5' 9" about 175# and cant conceal my XD-40 4" service model. Right now I am using an Uncle Mikes nylon holster {IWB/OWB}. But every time i put it on you can clearly see a bulge. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again LOST

learn to live with it cowboy..
ive been trying to hide my bulge since i hit puberty..
it aint gonna happen..
i cant wear shorts either.. sucks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts