Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question... assuming it is legal in your park of choice... anyone have any suggestions for CC while hiking with a heavy pack?

I'm thinking the waistbelt of the pack would really hurt if you went with any kind of waistband rig. Anything inside the pack would be secure and concealed but hard to get to if you got into trouble. Open carry is an option but would prefer to be concealed but easily accessible.

Thoughts? Rigs? Pictures?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I'd open carry, however if you really don't want to do that, put it cross front draw, inside water bottle pouch or something (with a holster in there) Basically inside a holster (serpas, because if you push the button easy to get out, won't pull the holster out with it) inside a canteen pouch in front of your left hip on the seatbelt.

I've also seen them in pouches on the outside strong arm of the pack if your flexible enough to reach back andn grab it (which I am and do) But some packs won't let your shoulder rotate that far back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Assuming it is legal to carry in the park where you intend to go hiking...
Depending on what you are carrying, you might try dropping a holstered gun into the thigh pocket on cargo shorts/cargo pants. It might flop around a bit and be uncomfortable. Stating the obvious: please do not put an unholstered gun in your pocket.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Up here I Open carry. In some parts I go in heavily armed depending one what time of year.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Bersa Thunder .380 / galco shoulder holster but open carry. I'm assuming this is for 2 leged threats since you wouldn't need to conceal from a animal. I know any type of waist carry is out cause of the waist strap. I defnitely wouldn't go anchle. Shoulder rig but you can't wear anything over it and still access it with pack shoulder straps.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I have a CamelBack Goblin fanny pack. It looks totally benign. Some packs scream "GUN IN HERE" but this one really doesn't. Excellent concealment, comfortable to wear and the gun compartment is practically invisible. Plus it holds water to drink on your hike.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Even with a pack on, I just carry with my Serpa a little bit more forward on my hip then normal. I did 8 miles with it on Saturday, it was a perfect setup.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I go backpacking about every 2 weeks and I always carry my xd9sc.

I wear thin hiking pants and I just put it in my right front pocket. I tried to carry open, but no matter how I arranged things I couldn't get a holster to work very well.

My gf and I where on our way back from a ridge Sunday and ran into a couple of people we know (man and woman). They had another woman with them. They where headed up so we stopped and had lunch with them. The two women brought up the subject of carrying a gun. They where saying that they had been thinking of carrying one. I don't advertise the fact that I carry guns so they had no idea I was packing. I decided to mess with them.

I looked at them funny and asked why they would need a gun. They replied that they want one for protection. I said, "That is scary... People packing guns on the trails scare me." I then sort of looked away and said, "Now I don't really know if I want to go out in the woods anymore." They both started ripping into me until I laughed and pulled my gun out.

·
Premium Member
24,766 Posts
I have a CamelBack Goblin fanny pack. It looks totally benign. Some packs scream "GUN IN HERE" but this one really doesn't. Excellent concealment, comfortable to wear and the gun compartment is practically invisible. Plus it holds water to drink on your hike.
+1 for a fanny pack, that is what I use.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I use a pocket holster for my Kahr PM9....

Works well in Dockers, Cargo Pants and the Cargo type shorts....

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
For a nice, light weight pack, I have two that are working well.

A 5.11 Moab-10 : Go Bag 5.11 Tactical RUSH MOAB 10 Backpack - Official Site
and a Cabelas Red Rock sling pack: Cabela s Online Store - Quality Hunting Fishing Camping and Outdoor Gear

The Moab is pretty nice, has a pouch to conceal with an interior holster which is velcro fastened. A larger pack, and it definitely will not be the most "covert" thing in the world. Good for hiking and biking. Doesn't bounce or move too much and can be snugged down tightly if needed.

The Red Rock pack is not as heavy, and significantly smaller. Work well for just carrying some stuff I don't want in my pockets. Only thing I didn't like is the strap was a bit rough on a sweaty neck, so a third-party pad strap was put on and that fixes the issue.

For me, I don't like the weight of a pistol in my leg thigh pocket or front cargo short pocket. Can do it, but not my favorite feeling as I put on the miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts