Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, WI conceal-carry is going to pass soon. See the "WI carry law" thread and my most recent posts in that thread.

I am pondering which of my pistols I will want to carry. Maybe you guys can chime in with your opinions and experience. I don't want to have to buy an expensive IWB holster for both, hence the reason I ask for all your opinions.

I have two pistols, and no, I will not be buying another anytime soon, so please don't suggest this. I have a SA XD-9 Service Model (4") and a Ruger SR1911 (5"). Each seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, and they seem to be coming out about even. This is the reason I can't decide just yet.

XD-9 Service Model

Pros: Light. Shorter barrel than the 1911. Hi-capacity (16+1). Super reliable (over a thousand rounds through this weapon since I bought it 3 months ago, with many different rounds, and not a single malfunction).

Cons: Thick slide. Thick grip. Not as good a caliber as .45 (Yes, some will disagree, but I think the majority will agree).

Ruger SR1911

Pros: .45 is a better defensive caliber (most will agree). Thin slide. Thin grip.

Cons: Heavy. Lower capacity (8+1). Perhaps not as reliable (1 failure to feed in hundreds of rounds, but I attribute that to the round – weird shaped hollow point).

Right now, the one thing I hate most about the XD-9 is its thickness, and the one thing I hate most about the SR1911 is its weight. I shoot both weapons the same. I am not more accurate or more confident with either. Basically, I shoot both well, and I am confident with each.

I have run my preferred defensive cartridges through each weapon and this is not an issue. I load the Speer Gold Dots 124gr. +P JHP's in the XD-9 and Hornady TAP FPD 230 gr. +P JHP's in the SR1911. I have fired many rounds through each gun without any malfunctions, and they both shoot nice.

If I had to choose right now, I would probably go with the SR1911 because of it's thin dimensions.

But what do you guys think? And like I've already said, please don't suggest buying this or that gun. Buying another gun is out of the questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
the Ruger, only because I think you will find trying to conceal the thicker handle on the 16 capacity 9 difficult, but you may have to play with them to see which works best.
The other factor is which on do you think you can carry the most comfortably for any length of time. If you find one, or the other too uncomfortable you will end up leaving it home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That 16 round magazine is going to be heavy Atleast for me it would be. Try them both out around the house doing daily activities might find they serve different purposes or maybe one is better for the summer and one is better for the winter season.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Russ.

I will add this about the weight of the 1911. It doesn't bother me lugging around 3 pounds. I am 6'6" and 300 lbs. Think NFL offensive lineman. Yeah ... I'm huge. A 3 lb. pistol is an afterthought. It does, however, pull my pants down, even with a stiff nylon 1.75" tactical belt tightened to the point of hurting.

And thanks, Spring.

The thought of one in the winter and one in the summer did occur to me. The thickness of the XD-9 would be easier to conceal and more comfortable in bulkier, winter clothing. Who knows. That may be the final solution, to carry one or the other based on what clothes I am wearing. But I would like to have just one so it's second nature on the draw (safety/no safety, etc...) so I can practice drawing with one pistol.

·
Banned
744 Posts
So, WI conceal-carry is going to pass soon. See the "WI carry law" thread and my most recent posts in that thread.

I am pondering which of my pistols I will want to carry. Maybe you guys can chime in with your opinions and experience. I don't want to have to buy an expensive IWB holster for both, hence the reason I ask for all your opinions.

I have two pistols, and no, I will not be buying another anytime soon, so please don't suggest this. I have a SA XD-9 Service Model (4") and a Ruger SR1911 (5"). Each seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, and they seem to be coming out about even. This is the reason I can't decide just yet.

XD-9 Service Model

Pros: Light. Shorter barrel than the 1911. Hi-capacity (16+1). Super reliable (over a thousand rounds through this weapon since I bought it 3 months ago, with many different rounds, and not a single malfunction).

Cons: Thick slide. Thick grip. Not as good a caliber as .45 (Yes, some will disagree, but I think the majority will agree).

Ruger SR1911

Pros: .45 is a better defensive caliber (most will agree). Thin slide. Thin grip.

Cons: Heavy. Lower capacity (8+1). Perhaps not as reliable (1 failure to feed in hundreds of rounds, but I attribute that to the round – weird shaped hollow point).

Right now, the one thing I hate most about the XD-9 is its thickness, and the one thing I hate most about the SR1911 is its weight. I shoot both weapons the same. I am not more accurate or more confident with either. Basically, I shoot both well, and I am confident with each.

I have run my preferred defensive cartridges through each weapon and this is not an issue. I load the Speer Gold Dots 124gr. +P JHP's in the XD-9 and Hornady TAP FPD 230 gr. +P JHP's in the SR1911. I have fired many rounds through each gun without any malfunctions, and they both shoot nice.

If I had to choose right now, I would probably go with the SR1911 because of it's thin dimensions.

But what do you guys think? And like I've already said, please don't suggest buying this or that gun. Buying another gun is out of the questions. Thanks.
No need to worry about buying TWO expensive IWB holsters. Unlike other companies who take as long as a tax refund check to get you your product, Comp Tac is up to todays standards with speedy service. I ordered one for my compact 40 on a Saturday night at 8pm. I had the holster Thursday afternoon when the mail came.

You get one MTAC Minotaur model holster. Then you change out the kydex for your XD9 or Ruger 1911.

Here, check this out........

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

Mounting Options - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Spare Minotaur Bodies

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
No need to worry about buying TWO expensive IWB holsters. Unlike other companies who take as long as a tax refund check to get you your product, Comp Tac is up to todays standards with speedy service. I ordered one for my compact 40 on a Saturday night at 8pm. I had the holster Thursday afternoon when the mail came.

You get one MTAC Minotaur model holster. Then you change out the kydex for your XD9 or Ruger 1911.

Here, check this out........

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

Mounting Options - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Spare Minotaur Bodies
I'll second the Comp-Tac MTAC.

Also, I'm 6 foot 200 lbs and I can conceal my XD9 in the MTAC without any problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
+1 for Comp-Tac MTAC

Had mine for almost a year now, carry my XD40 in it all the time. No regrets with it, plus it's nice being able to buy the spare kydex bodies for other firearms like Ron said. They're great holsters.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I strongly suggest you visit the SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters website. This quality holster is the best IWB holster on the market.

The large (pocket) will work with both guns. The Smartcarry has an integral mag pouch, belt, and holster. This design will save you a hundred bucks over the more traditional approach.

They are comfortable and totally undetectable even if you're wearing shorts and no shirt.

I have two sizes, the small (XD40SC and Bersa .45 Compact) and the large (SA M1911A1 and the XD .45 Service).

Try it....if you don't like it you will have 60 days to return it for a FULL refund.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

Bottom line: carry what you shoot best.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The one you'll actually carry is the best one to carry, as long as it functions and shoots POA. I used to think I'd carry the XD45 Service because I love .45 and it shoots like a dream, but I never do. I always carry my PT709. WAY more comfortable and concealable.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I think you should buy a............
Oh, wait a minute...:oops:

I'd say the 1911, because it is thinner.
Thinness goes a long way for me..
I prefer shot placement over capacity in my carry guns.
Hopefully stress won't screw that up to much if the situation arises.

I carried my P239 SAS over My P229 SAS and it isn't much thinner.
P239 8 +1
P229 15 +1
But the P239 was indeed thinner (and a tad shorter) and that makes it easier for me to carry.
Keep in mind I only carry OWB, so that might be a factor as well.

Save up for compact 1911 WinterWizard...;)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

Bottom line: carry what you shoot best.
I agree with everything except #2,

It better go BANG 100% of the time if your life is depending on it.

and lastly, regardless of the size of the person, there are numerous holster MFG's that allow for full size weapons to be concealed easily. The only reason I carry a Compact or a subcompact gun is because it is my back up gun, (second gun). I always carry a full size G20, 21, or 37, or XD9 40 or 45.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.