Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I know a lot of you have wives/are wives that carry, and I'm curious what you use. Concealed carrying for my wife is difficult because there's not a lot of places a handgun will conceal, so I'm looking at various different options. I'd still like something with a semblence of stopping power, but be small enough to fit in her purse possibly, or if there are any other conceal options that women frequently use. That kind of leads me towards a snub nose revolver, .380 or so, but I would prefer a little semi auto for some reason (I know the snub nose will be more reliable, so I'm not ruling it out at all).

I have an XD9 Subcompact, and it's way too large for her to concealed carry. That thing is only a couple of inches smaller than a full size, and it's double stack anyways.

a friend pointed out this little guy: http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=10&productid=69

but that still seems a bit on the large side to me. Please help!

Rick

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Here's a great place for women to start. It's for women by a woman. She talks about choosing a firearm and holsters as well.

Cornered Cat

·
Registered
120 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT (380) daily, with a belt-clip, or in a rear pocket. It is minimal as a fight-stopper, but with good placement will do the trick. It is 100% reliable (for me). I've had three women shoot it. Two g/fs and my mom...

It's a good one, and cheap.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I am not real fond of women carrying in their purse, after all, BGs steal purses... WIRED has a good idea..

·
Registered
277 Posts
I finally got my wife to go with me to the range this weekend, she try a couple of guns but she fell in love with my P3AT she put by herself 100 rounds through it 0 malfunctions and she liked it, she complaint that the XD40SC, G26, G27 and a snubby .38 recoils were to hard for her, but the P3AT was right for her (without mentioned how many times she said that it was "sooooo cute"), she said that if she is going to carry a gun that would be the one. She already put it on her night stand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the LCP and the Kel-Tec look like good little pieces.

I guess the real question is more around what my wife will like.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
the LCP and the Kel-Tec look like good little pieces.

I guess the real question is more around what my wife will like.
My wife loves the Keltec P32. I like it too -- well enough that I'm seriously considering getting another one. I'm trying to decide between that and the PF9.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My husband has a Keltec 380 which I find easy to manage.
I have an XDSC .40. I love it. It is a larger than the keltec, but I found a concealed carry purse that fits over your shoulder and has a side pouch.
I used to have a 38 special ultralite snub nose revolver which I hated. Way too hard for me to control.
Whatever she ends up with she has to feel like she has a good grip and can control it. That was my prob with the Gloc and a couple others- grips too wide.

·
Registered
353 Posts
wife is LOVING her sig p232 smooth trigger ready to go at a moments notice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The wifey uses a BERSA T380.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question.

There is no one on this board who can tell you what will or will not work for your wife. She has to get her hands on several different guns to see what does and does not work for her. Once you have found a gun that she is comfortable with, move to letting her figure out what the best way for her to carry the gun will be.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question.

There is no one on this board who can tell you what will or will not work for your wife. She has to get her hands on several different guns to see what does and does not work for her. Once you have found a gun that she is comfortable with, move to letting her figure out what the best way for her to carry the gun will be.
+1

I'd say this goes for ANYONE Looking for a CC gun.

Get her out there and shoot a variety of guns, and let HER Pick what she's most comfortable with.

Then worry about how to conceal it.

Just my $0.02 USD

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
+1 on the Bersa 380...But if possible she does need to try them out. Good luck

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wife has a Bersa 380 but normally carries a Charter Arms 22 derringer because she can clip it to her belt above her jean pocket and tie a bandanna around her waist to totally conceal.

We tried the J frame 38s but she hated them, too brutal to shoot.

I would second what others have told you. She needs to handle a bunch, shoot some and pick what works for her. Also, she would never carry in her purse as she was mugged once in New Orleans. It was a grab and run, not hurt and wasn't armed back then but lost her purse as they guy ran into the hood.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts