Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
Good deal! Dont mess with texas, beeeeatch!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
The man’s gun was checked out by police and given back to him.
Checked out how? Why?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Checked out how? Why?

Prob to make sure it wasn't stolen or something. But overall good on that guy for helping that lady. Only part that would scare me if I myself were in that situation were the moment the cops rolled up and I'm there over these people with a gun in my hand. Would hate to get shot by some cop who's running on adrenaline and excited. Would def want to make sure to get the gun away from me and my hands visible in short order once I saw flashing lights.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 for the good guys.

If you notice, in the first video, it shows for only a second or so, the "Good Samarian" was ordered to go face-down on the concrete just like the criminals. This has to stop. Cops better stop treating honest people like common criminals until they do their so called "investigation".

I hope honest citizens start suing, and winning lawsuits for this type of behavior. And don't respond that they have to be cautious, because I ain't buying it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If you notice, in the first video, it shows for only a second or so, the "Good Samarian" was ordered to go face-down on the concrete just like the criminals. This has to stop. Cops better stop treating honest people like common criminals until they do their so called "investigation".

I hope honest citizens start suing, and winning lawsuits for this type of behavior. And don't respond that they have to be cautious, because I ain't buying it.

I understand what you're saying but remember to look at it from their perspective. They only know what dispatch tells them, who in turn had only the info of whomever calls it in. So operating off of perhaps incomplete information but knowing there's someone standing in a parking lot holding two people at gunpoint, how is the cop to know as he pulls up and gets out of the car whether that person is a Good Samaritan or the original criminal? Hard to do, and until they know they're gonna make someone like that lay down until they figure out who's who. At the end of the day the cop wants to go home to his family too. I mean would you just casually mosey on up to someone holding two people at gunpoint like its no big deal, or might you take control of the situation temporarily and sort things out?

The carrier was only briefly detained, was given back his gun and allowed to leave. No doubt people told there told the cops what happened, the victim herself and the security cameras all backed the carrier's story so no problem. It's not like the cop beat or tazed the carrier, and they didn't arrest him so I don't see a huge issue here.

Cops do need to respect our rights ad we do need to hold them accountable when they fail to do so, but that doesn't seem to be what happened here. I see nothing that indicates his rights were violated, nor was he harmed nor arrested.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I understand what you're saying but remember to look at it from their perspective. They only know what dispatch tells them, who in turn had only the info of whomever calls it in. So operating off of perhaps incomplete information but knowing there's someone standing in a parking lot holding two people at gunpoint, how is the cop to know as he pulls up and gets out of the car whether that person is a Good Samaritan or the original criminal? Hard to do, and until they know they're gonna make someone like that lay down until they figure out who's who. At the end of the day the cop wants to go home to his family too. I mean would you just casually mosey on up to someone holding two people at gunpoint like its no big deal, or might you take control of the situation temporarily and sort things out?

The carrier was only briefly detained, was given back his gun and allowed to leave. No doubt people told there told the cops what happened, the victim herself and the security cameras all backed the carrier's story so no problem. It's not like the cop beat or tazed the carrier, and they didn't arrest him so I don't see a huge issue here.

Cops do need to respect our rights ad we do need to hold them accountable when they fail to do so, but that doesn't seem to be what happened here. I see nothing that indicates his rights were violated, nor was he harmed nor arrested.
This. The police need to sort out the good guys from the bad.

Just good thing they didn't shoot first and ask questions later like in CA. :cool:

·
Registered
341 Posts

I somewhat agree with what you are saying. My point is, carriers and good Samaritans aren't going to subject themselves to that type of treatment, and simply will ignore a person in need. If I saved someone, and was forced to drop my weapon on the concrete and do a spread-eagle face-down, I'd be pretty miffed. There has to be a better way to handle this type of situation.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I somewhat agree with what you are saying. My point is, carriers and good Samaritans aren't going to subject themselves to that type of treatment, and simply will ignore a person in need. If I saved someone, and was forced to drop my weapon on the concrete and do a spread-eagle face-down, I'd be pretty miffed. There has to be a better way to handle this type of situation.
This.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Well I'm not sure what that "better way" is, but I'd be interested in hearing what you think it may be.

I get where you're coming from, and wouldn't really be thrilled about the idea of having to go through that after I did the right thing in saving myself or someone else, but it's another part of the swallowing of pride that one has to go through when we carry. I once read an article from Clint Smith where he talks about this, and he's said much to this effect.

To me the important thing is how it's done. If the cops don't go overboard (i.e. tazing, pepper spraying or beating me if I'm complying with their request), take my side of the story, and release me and my weapon once it's determined that I was in the right, I'm not going to fault them too much.

Again, it wouldn't be a fun thing to go through and may even feel unjust after doing the right thing, but when the cops arrive they have no way of knowing that you're the good guy or that you did the right thing. It takes a bit of time to sort that out and they're going to ensure their safety and that of others until they do. Like I said, if they do it properly and not in an overzealous fashion I can live with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I'm not sure what that "better way" is, but I'd be interested in hearing what you think it may be.

I get where you're coming from, and wouldn't really be thrilled about the idea of having to go through that after I did the right thing in saving myself or someone else, but it's another part of the swallowing of pride that one has to go through when we carry. I once read an article from Clint Smith where he talks about this, and he's said much to this effect.

To me the important thing is how it's done. If the cops don't go overboard (i.e. tazing, pepper spraying or beating me if I'm complying with their request), take my side of the story, and release me and my weapon once it's determined that I was in the right, I'm not going to fault them too much.

Again, it wouldn't be a fun thing to go through and may even feel unjust after doing the right thing, but when the cops arrive they have no way of knowing that you're the good guy or that you did the right thing. It takes a bit of time to sort that out and they're going to ensure their safety and that of others until they do. Like I said, if they do it properly and not in an overzealous fashion I can live with it.
THIS! I wouldn't expect anything less than an officer coming on site with bare minimum info,and all he can see is a guy holding two other people at gun point. Hell if I was the officer EVERYONE would be down on the ground until i figured out who was who. Like others have said, Just as long as i'm not getting my face beat and pepper sprayed I would be OK with it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Could always do this... :lol:

(and no, I'm not a proponent for doing this)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts