Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking for some help. I already have an XDm .45 and I just got my concealed carry permit. I would like to buy a small gun that is easy to conceal and that will go with me pretty much everywhere. I have narrowed it down to a couple different choices... Ruger LCP, LC9 or walther PK380. Out of these 3 I am really leaning towards an LCP with CT. Can anyone vouch for this decision? Is there anything else I should consider before making my purchase this week?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Of the 3 you listed, I would go with the LC9. It is is just a bit larger than the LCP, but you have full 9mm firepower onboard. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Out of the choices you listed I would go with the LC9. I am thinking about getting either the LC9 or stepping up the budget alittle bit and getting a SOLO.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have an LCP with a crimson trsce laser in a Nemesis pocket holster as a backup piece. I can empty the handgun as fast as I can pull the trigger into a paper plate at 10 yards.

Very reliable, very accurate. Maybe deadly, but it's just the backup

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Get a good belt, a good holster, and learn how to dress around your XDm.
I agree. Carry a gun you can fight with and make it a lifestyle change. I can carry any size pistol I choose and still wear shorts. Its all in the belt and what kind of shirt and how you wear it that conceals.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I borrowed my friends supertuck and tried carrying my xdm in my house for a few days and i didnt like it it was uncomfortable and i printed really bad. i dont really want to change the way i dress. I want something small that i can slip in my pocket or not notice is there and take anywhere. I know that if it feels even a little bit uncomfortable then i will start saying "oh i will just run up the street real quick" which will be the time that i need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to carry a XD40sc in a Supertuck then I decided I wanted to try something different. I traded for a full size PX4 40 and a Supertuck style holster. Believe it or not, the bigger PX4 carries more comfortably than the XD sc. I once heard your carry choice should be comforting not necessarily comfortable. I decided I will carry the biggest gun I can carry and still be somewhat comfortable. The set up I have now I can carry all day and just have to adjust the way I sit and bend. Other than that it is pretty comfortable. I also must admit that 15 rounds of .40 without a reload is pretty comforting.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I carry a compact 1911 MOST of the time but I carry a P3AT ALL of the time. With a gun so small, you dont have to dress aroound it. I got a rear pocket holster for it and I hope to hell no one asks me to hand over my wallet.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Get a good belt, a good holster, and learn how to dress around your XDm.
I agree with Cudda most of the time, but not on this. I refuse to dress around a gun. There too many choices to have to do this.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just got a Kahr PM40 a little while back. To carry when I need to a little more concealment. I carry it in a Theis or Remora holster, it just disappears with both. I would take a look at the Kahr line up. It's a really nice gun.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree with Cudda most of the time, but not on this. I refuse to dress around a gun. There too many choices to have to do this.
I never agree with Cudda, but thst is always my advice. Why spend several hundred of bucks on something you THINK might work, when you've already spent hundreds on a handgun already. All you need is a fifty dollar belt, & maybe a different holster.

Too many people buy a $20 Fobus, Uncle M Kydex, etc and find cocealment difficult. They don't realize leather or IWB will actually fix their issue. Buy a Kahr and stick it in a Fobus, it will still stick & print far out.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Some people want to carry just for the notion of having a gun. If that is so then that is fine. Carry what ever makes the minimum level for you as far as reliable and firepower.
Me I want a gun I can fight with and enough ammo that it really could pull my fat out of the fire in the worst case scenario. Maybe it is my background of having worked in construction and the physical requirements that make a little (very little) discomfort a daily thing all my adult life that 30 oz on my hip in a good wide holster with good belt and another two full mags on the other hip, not such a big deal.

I think people get sucked in to the romance of carrying a gun just so they can say they carry a gun. Me, I take it a bit more serious. To each his own.

Ask yourself, what hand gun would I want to have if I were caught in an active shooter scenario?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I agree with Cuda on this one,

if you want to carry a backup gun, go ahead, but don't let that gun be your primary, there are too many options of guns / holsters that can fit the bill, without the discomfort, or printing, I would bet money the only person that actually "sees" the gun is you.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I carry a XDM.45 in a supertuck everyday and have not had any issues with discomfort or printing. If someone has noticed they have never said anything to me. Not disagreeing with those who carry smaller guns/calibers, but I prefer a little meat with my potatoes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While I do still carry my xd9sc or my new Glock 26 sometimes it's just not practical. Do you guys carry a xd wearing basketball shorts? It's nice to have some options.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a 45 XD Tactical that I carry anytime I can wear at least a light jacket. I just bought an LCP yesterday and this thing is sweet. I can carry it in my front pocket of my shorts during the summer and it doesn't print at all. I was debating between the LCP and a Sig Sauer P238. The Sig is really nice, but almost twice as expensive. Also, I figured if I was buying a gun specifically to be very concealable, a lighter weight gun would be better. The LCP is 9 ounces, compared to 15 for the Sig.

·
Registered
515 Posts
While I do still carry my xd9sc or my new Glock 26 sometimes it's just not practical. Do you guys carry a xd wearing basketball shorts? It's nice to have some options.
If I'm wearing basketball shorts, I use a smart carry holster. No waistband or belt needed. The one size smart carry I have can fit either my xd9sub, Kimber ultra covert, PPS, EMP, or LCP if I'm so inclined.

I have an LCP with crimson trace grips and it hardly ever gets carried....Why? Because I can just as easily conceal another pistol with more capacity and stopping power.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts