Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently dry firing my carry guns 3 to 4 times weekly. This requires that I unchamber, rechamber my carry rounds frequently and raises my concerns of bullet setback.

My previous practice, as I have always carried 45acp was to keep a target round in the chamber with hollowpoints, carry ammo in the magazines. I would chamber, unchamber this taget round until my next range trip when I would swap it out for a new target round. This worked well for me as 45acp was designed as a stopper in its 230 grain, round nosed design that we use for target, and rarely overpenetrates with significant energy.

Now, arrises my issue. My bug is in 9mm, and I will not carry fmj in this caliber. I need advise from others that frequently dry fire thier carry guns. I don't want to beat up my carry rounds and build additional presure in them, already +P. How many times can a round be chambered before it becomes a danger? Please decribe your own means of keeping track of carry ammo dirng this process. Any and all advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ken

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first two rounds in my carry mag switch places several times a week. This is a complete non-issue...for me.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
How many times can a round be chambered before it becomes a danger? Please decribe your own means of keeping track of carry ammo dirng this process. Any and all advise is appreciated.
There is no magic number. The best way to determine is to compare it to a fresh round and, if you can see the difference and if falls close to the min OAL for that round then pull it for range duty. I assume that at some point you are shooting a mag or two of your SD rounds so pop it in that box.

As to preventing setback, every time I unchamber I rotate the chambered round and then chamber a different round. Every 3-4 months I then shoot those two mags and load fresh rounds. I only dry fire or do drills once or twice a week but even at four times, with all the rounds in a primary and backup mag that's a lot of chambering before you should see setback.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did this with my SR9c a lot before. I noticed that the round would start to get a few lines along the outside, so I just shoot the round at the range. Sometimes I would load the mag and the round under the top would may get an indentation so I go ahead and fire those too. I'm just as curious as you are about the danger component.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I believe that I will just start shooting up carry ammo once, maybe twice yearly.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
There is no number of times, either the bullet is setting back or it is not. Compare to the fresh factory rounds, if the bullet has setback more than 1/16", then you run the risk of an over pressrue event. It's really easy to see 1/16" setback. In a 45acp, not as much of a problem as a 9mm or 40 or 357sig. Catch tem early, before that much setback & you can relegate them to practice ammo. Catch tem late, I would hesitate to shoot them, pulling htem & slavaging the case, bullet & primer is one way to get something out of it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can always use snap caps for dry fire practice. They work fine, allow you to verify functions safely.
I also cycle my carry rounds monthly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I believe that I will just start shooting up carry ammo once, maybe twice yearly.
I CC the XD9sc. I use the Speer Gold Dot 124gr hollow point ammo for my SD, and American Eagle 115gr for the range. I dry fire my weapon multiple times a week, and have never had a problem with my SD rounds. I shoot them every 6 months, and buy a new box. This way I get used to firing my SD ammo, and have "fresh" rounds in my magazine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can always use snap caps for dry fire practice. They work fine, allow you to verify functions safely.
I also cycle my carry rounds monthly.
LOL! I just re read my op and can see how you might think I was hand cycling my carry rounds. I use snap caps, but upon reloading after dry fire session worry about the life span of my carry round(s) that contact the feed ramp so frequently. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
747 Posts
One thing you could do is to take an ultra fine tip sharpie and draw a line on the base of your bullet at the joint of your case rim . When that small thin black line gets smaller or disappears you know your bullet has set back and may need to be fired or removed from the rotation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts