Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I both attended. She was the only woman... except for the instructor - WHO ROCKED!

Started off shooting, she chickened out on shooting with her XD(M)-C, so I got that while she got my 22.

First round, instructor says, ok mr. showoff, we're going to make the 2nd round a lot harder for you. Did good on round 2-5, until 6th round. this scenario had lights flashing, BG rushing, stopping, leaving, etc. I missed at least three shots, maybe more, don't know. Also ran out of ammo by the time he made one last rush :(

SWMBO, really stepped up round 6. All the noise and commotion made her focus more :( So, if a BG shows up at our house, she's getting the gun, I'm taking the phone, LOL. Just need for her to get more comfortable with her gun.

Really enjoyed the class, have a much better understanding of conceal carry responsibilities. Some pretty heavy responsibilities!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wife and I both attended. She was the only woman... except for the instructor - WHO ROCKED!

Started off shooting, she chickened out on shooting with her XD(M)-C, so I got that while she got my 22.

First round, instructor says, ok mr. showoff, we're going to make the 2nd round a lot harder for you. Did good on round 2-5, until 6th round. this scenario had lights flashing, BG rushing, stopping, leaving, etc. I missed at least three shots, maybe more, don't know. Also ran out of ammo by the time he made one last rush :(

SWMBO, really stepped up round 6. All the noise and commotion made her focus more :( So, if a BG shows up at our house, she's getting the gun, I'm taking the phone, LOL. Just need for her to get more comfortable with her gun.

Really enjoyed the class, have a much better understanding of conceal carry responsibilities. Some pretty heavy responsibilities!
Nice! I was pretty happy when I took mine and the instructor put up 3 targets and made me move and shoot and not stop shooting until I ran out of rounds then I had to reload and keep shooting.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
First round, instructor says, ok mr. showoff, we're going to make the 2nd round a lot harder for you. Did good on round 2-5, until 6th round. this scenario had lights flashing, BG rushing, stopping, leaving, etc. I missed at least three shots, maybe more, don't know. Also ran out of ammo by the time he made one last rush
Where the heck do you live that a simple Concealed Carry course has all that? In SC, you shoot 50 rounds from varying distances at a stationary target, and the instructor can not alter the course from the SLED-prescribed format.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rounds = scenarios, not rounds of ammunition :)

Full magazines for each round

1. two hands steady stance relatively close target (12'?)
  2. Simulated BG holding a hostage, can't hit the hostage. This where she made it much tougher on me because I had such a small initial grouping. And I managed to miss the GG and still only hit the BG :)
  3. single hand, strong side, same target distance
  4. single hand, weak side, same target distance
  5. both hands target further away (21'?)
  6. Target starting 21' away running towards you, stopping, running away, running towards you, stopping, running towards you again. All while sirens are going off, other people are shooting, it was dark in the range, and flashing lights are going. This scenario was an eye opener for me, because my shooting got sloppy. When I say I missed the target, I still hit the target, but outside the "center of mass". Couple of nice head shots, but that was nowhere near where I was aiming
So considering I used two mags of 19 and 13 rounds, I got in a lot of shooting.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
In Iowa no range time is even required for the CCW class, but the instructor I went to had his own requirement for some very basic range time. Only went through 10 rounds.

I would definitely like to have a class like this for me and the wife.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty cool that the wife could qualify with a 22. Minimum caliber for the Texas class is 32.
Since the class, she has gotten extremely accurate with her 9mm, and I stand mouth agape at her accuracy with her brand new Browning. Her hand to eye coordination is amazing, and while she started off a bit sloppy, she's far far exceeded my ability. She was putting her 22 shots in about 1.5" diameter tonight at 21'

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took my class at Close Quarters Tactical in Shelby Twp MI and our shooting portion required 150 rnds of ammo. And we also has to shoot at moving targets while the range lights were being unexpectedly messed with lol. It was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would love to go to a course like this.. Flashing lights, sirens and so forth. No were around in my area I think that is even offered.. The most excitment I could get is if i hooked up the dogs tail to the ceiling light somehow...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts