Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,781 Posts
If the Commonwealth of Virginia recognizes the validity of online "certification", and they may, then shame on them. I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor who conducts CCW classes once or twice a month. According to the laws of Ohio that instruction must involve at least 10 hours of class time with a passing score on the exam and 2 hours of range time. To pass our range test the shooter has to score at least 80 percent hits within a 9 inch circle at distances of 7, 14, and 21 feet. Although a minority, some students can and do fail the class. Personally, I want nothing to do with putting people on the street who are not competent in the safe and effective use of handguns.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I dunno it seems a bit over the top. All you have to do in VA is take a safety course and fire 25 rounds safely. Watching streaming video? and then a multiple choice test? Seems cheesy. I'd rather just have an NRA instructor talk to me (us). If you're in Norfolk go to Bob's Gun Shop. Or Superior Pawn and Gun in either Va Beach or Norfolk. You'll like it better I think.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I dunno it seems a bit over the top. All you have to do in VA is take a safety course and fire 25 rounds safely. Watching streaming video? and then a multiple choice test? Seems cheesy. I'd rather just have an NRA instructor talk to me (us). If you're in Norfolk go to Bob's Gun Shop. Or Superior Pawn and Gun in either Va Beach or Norfolk. You'll like it better I think.
That's where I did mine, at Bob's. Pretty good class. Cheap and easy compared to TN's requirements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Legit, I grew up around guns and don't have my weekends open to take a class so I took it online and the courts accepted it. I got my CCW about three weeks later.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If VA accepts it, you don't have much time free AND are VERY proficient with firearms, may as well go for it. All I needed in FL (back in the 80s) was a copy of my DD214 to not take a class, but the classes are enjoyable, I get exposure to new techniques and I usually end up meeting people to go shooting with later.

If you have the time, taking the "Live" class and doing the range portion is fun now-a-days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So yesterday I posted something here about a certain online class that was advertising you could apply for an out of state VA license that would be accepted in 27 other states just by taking their online course...

I found this to be very innaccurate and reqested an immediate refund 5 questions into it...They refused.
Pay up front policy with no refunds... Of course they left the no refund bit out.

Today I received an email stating that if I removed my post from here they woul issue my refund. So in the interest of my $44.99 I did...but if you read below in grey you can see it and I'm editing it to be reposted so stay tuned...

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Online gun class dot com is a total scam. Not only do you require 10 hrs of class time but without the class time most states except virginia will not honor it. In addition they have a pay up front feature. When confronted with the fact that texas wont recognize it and their website is miss advertising they refused to issue a refund. Just some guy trying to scam a loophole in the virginia law. Should be shutdown! Waste of $44.99
Also worth mentioning that they advertise "pass or dont pay" and "you can get your license for $44.99" which is completely false since individual states have additional licensing fees.
Don't believe this post? Call you public safety office in your state. Ask if they will honor a concealed weapons license that you took an online CHL class.
Total BS

Welcome to the forum. Interesting first post...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I recently came across this sight when looking for info on CCW in Virginia. The Concealed Carry Institute Has anyone ever heard of it ,used it and/or is it legit?

I live in Virginia and have my conceal carry permit...ONE NO YOU DON'T HAVE A RANGE SESSION...TWO DEPENDING ON YOUR COUNTY DEPENDS ON IF YOU GET PRINTED (I LIVE IN HANOVER AND DIDN'T NEED THEM!!!) THREE GO TO THE LINK BELOW 29.99 YES VA ACCEPTS THIS CERTIFICATE IT'S A 17 MINUTE VIDEO...FOUR IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GUNS SKIP THE VIDEO ANSWER THE 2O QUESTIONS IN LESS THEN A MINUTE (YES IT'S THAT EASY) FIVE PRINT OUT YOUR CERTIFICATE SIX PRINT AND FILL OUT YOUR CCW FORMS SEVEN TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL SHERIFFS OFFICE GET PRINTED IF NECESSARY AND HAND IT OVER WITH YOUR CHECK....Check your local county website to see who you need to make the check out to, and if you need to be printed normally it's 13 or so dollars...Let me know if you need anymore assistance...They're running right around the full 6 weeks to get back to you also...

https://secure.vaguntraining.com/

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2011.pdf

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Great I see VA will soon be loosing it's reciprocity with Florida! Fl now requires live fire...

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
I live in Virginia and have my conceal carry permit...ONE NO YOU DON'T HAVE A RANGE SESSION...TWO DEPENDING ON YOUR COUNTY DEPENDS ON IF YOU GET PRINTED (I LIVE IN HANOVER AND DIDN'T NEED THEM!!!) THREE GO TO THE LINK BELOW 29.99 YES VA ACCEPTS THIS CERTIFICATE IT'S A 17 MINUTE VIDEO...FOUR IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GUNS SKIP THE VIDEO ANSWER THE 2O QUESTIONS IN LESS THEN A MINUTE (YES IT'S THAT EASY) FIVE PRINT OUT YOUR CERTIFICATE SIX PRINT AND FILL OUT YOUR CCW FORMS SEVEN TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL SHERIFFS OFFICE GET PRINTED IF NECESSARY AND HAND IT OVER WITH YOUR CHECK....Check your local county website to see who you need to make the check out to, and if you need to be printed normally it's 13 or so dollars...Let me know if you need anymore assistance...They're running right around the full 6 weeks to get back to you also...

https://secure.vaguntraining.com/

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2011.pdf

Matt
What a horrible way of having a training program. Take a real class you might just learn something.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What a horrible way of having a training program. Take a real class you might just learn something.
I agree it's a horrible program:-?. I used my DD214 from when I was in the military...I know the guys that run the website, and makes easy money off it...It's more or less if you already know gun laws, safety, etc. etc.. He does do an 8 hour class as well...All you have to do is showI don't think VA will lose reciprocity with Florida...I love Virginia gun laws...Next to Alaska, and Montana, I feel we have the best laws for pro-gun owners...
Here's are laws...

NRA-ILA | Virginia

And you can check your states here...

NRA-ILA | State Laws

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok..so lets talk about the power of this forum !
Today I received an email from online gun class that I mentioned in my previous post stating as follows :
"As soon as you remove this post and any others like it, we will immediately refund your $44.99" ... Hmmm, that sounds like blackmail but hey....I want my money back so I will edit my previous post with factual information...
But the best advise I can still give anyone is this.
1) Before taking an online gun class, call your public safety office and specifically ask if they have a class room instruction requirement. Here's what Texas said...

We will honor some states licenses that we have agreements with. Agreements were reached based on same or higher requirements.
So it's a catch 22, I can get a Virginia outta state license with an online course and they will honor it in Texas even though their requirement is 10 hr classroom safety class?
Yeah I was confused too, and everything was going smooth until I mentioned that I took an hour online class to get the Virginia Certification, all of the sudden it wasn't cool anymore.
I'm not denying some people are using this system to skirt the 10 hr class requirement and more power to them!
I kinda wish I had kept my mouth shut and just gotten my license but see, you have to sign an afidavit stating you took the "10 hr classroom safety class". Had they worded it different or not made it mandatory I'd have 10 hrs more on my account. Bottom line is if you are willing to keep your mouth shut, sign an affidavit saying you took the class and present your VA license you're cool, you only run into trouble if you try to do it right. As for me, based on the TPSO reaction and interest in the site I figured they're either going to get rid of the safety class requirement (not likely) I mean why pay $150 plus give up 10 hrs of your day when for 20 min of your time and $44.99 you can get a VA certificate right?
Or ....they're going to come down hard on some people. I'm not taking any chances so I just took the class....
As per certain "online gun class" mentioned in my previous post, buyer beware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So here's my previous post that caused all the ruckuss.... I took the liberty of editing it somewhat so I can get my refund back.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an edited and revised post so that I can get my money back.

"Onlinexxxxxxxx.com is a total xxxx.
Xxx xxxx xxxx my state require 10 hrs of classroom time xxx without some class time xxxx xxxxx states except virginia xxx xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx (they will if you just present your license, don't mention the online part and sign saying you took the classroom class)
In addition they have a pay up front feature and no refund policy, what does that say.

When confronted with the fact that the state of Xxxxx wont recognize the VA license if you xxx xxx xxxx xxxxx xx xxxxxxx requirement and that their website is miss advertising they refused to issue a refund.

In my opinion its xxxx xxxx xxx xxxxxxx xx xxxx a loophole in the virginia and other states reciprocity law.
Also worth mentioning xxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxx "pass or dont pay" and "you can get a xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx for $44.99"

I hope you all think I'm full of it so you'll call your own public safety office in your state. Ask if they will honor a concealed weapons license that you received by presenting a 20 min online Safety class before you take it, but if you just want to burn money send it to me via paypal :) LOL

PS Disclaimer....the online class works great in VA for VA license because apperently the only requirement for them is whether or not you can fork over money to the state and that's just fine by me...I only ran into problems when certain online class claimed that you could legally carry a concealed weapon in 27 other states if you just get an out of state VA license because of the reciprocity law, and that was not necessaraly accurate...completely wrong in my state but I only know what my own state said.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
I agree it's a horrible program:-?. I used my DD214 from when I was in the military...I know the guys that run the website, and makes easy money off it...It's more or less if you already know gun laws, safety, etc. etc.. He does do an 8 hour class as well...All you have to do is showI don't think VA will lose reciprocity with Florida...I love Virginia gun laws...Next to Alaska, and Montana, I feel we have the best laws for pro-gun owners...
Here's are laws...

NRA-ILA | Virginia

NRA-ILA | State Laws

Matt
Florida now requires live fire, and no this online thing is the same as the real thing. I have no problem with the DD214, I know the law of my state, I can carry into a restaurant that serves beer or hard liquor, I can even have a drink. We have castle law any place we have a right to be. We have a great stand your ground law. We have OC when fishing, hunting or camping. Can carry at church and damn near anywhere else. No need to inform LEO's. Fl CCW permit cover more than just your gun as well. I love Florida!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I should change my name on here to "sirbitchalot" but i don't want to be miss understood. I'm pissed because I wasted my time and don't want someone else making my mistakes.
I support the online class system and hope it's adopted by every state. Until then its a grey area I don't care to explore further until I know for sure. Bottom line is this post is about "are they a scam or legit" my opinion is that TODAY it's an issue aboutbstates not regulating the online courses the way they do classroom courses or updating their policy fast enough.
All I am saying is call your safety office, be specific and ask before you commit to some fly by night online instruction system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this website is for real, but they do not issue the license. They offer the "Documentation of Competence with a Handgun" portion of the application process. After which you will still be required to submit additinal paperwork to the Virginia State police along with THIER application fee of $100.

Below information taken from Virginia State Police website
Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

Application Check List

Completed, signed, and notarized application. The application is available at the Virginia State Police Forms page.
Money order or cashier’s check in the amount of $100.00 made payable to the Virginia State Police.
Two photographs meeting required specifications.
Completed fingerprint card signed by the applicant and the law enforcement individual taking the prints, and including the telephone number of the law enforcement individual taking the prints to facilitate validation of authenticity.
Documentation of competence with a handgun (except upon renewal).
Photocopy of a valid photo-ID issued by a governmental agency.
Place return address on the envelope.
Apply appropriate postage.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Here's are laws...

NRA-ILA | Virginia

NRA-ILA | State Laws

Matt
Don't forget about AZ!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts