Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all... I'm 6'1", 138lbs with a waist size of 30. I'm thinking an IWB holster will be the way to go, but any specific input on what would be my best option is welcome.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Whatever you are comfortable with. Dressing is the chalkenge. Dress for the gun.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Iwb can be an option, or owb with the FBI or forward cant might work too.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
An important detail ^ we forgot to ask and you forgot to mention. Bigger guys can easily conceal larger guns for obvious reasons, but us small waisted guys aren't completely incapable of hiding a good sized gun.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I am right there with you. 6'1" 150 lbs 30" waist. I started with an XDsc that I carried IWB about 4:30 to begin with in a Raven Phantom kydex holster and later in an Alien Gear hybrid. I also carried it OWB at 3:00 with a built in 10 degree cant on my Raven under a suit coat. I still carry my XDsc OWB when I can but my normal carry now is an XDs 3.3 9mm about 4:30 in the same Alien Gear holster with the correct shell. I had a lot of trouble with printing on my XDsc IWB. I wore my shirt untucked, 32" waist on my pants with a good solid belt. With my XDs the printing issue dramatically decreased, plus the comfort level increased tremendously.

The biggest pointers I found have been:
1. Get a belt designed for carrying a gun.
2. Get a good holster.
3. If you are carrying IWB get pants on size bigger.
4. Stop worrying about printing most people are oblivious anyway.

Yes I would love to be able to carry a larger gun (XDM 3.8 compact, 4.5 etc.) But those will not work with my body type so I will stick with the two smallest guns in the Springfield line and carry on.

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have been able to get a better deal on an XDS but the 13-round mag of the XD really appeals to me. I think I can sacrifice a little printing for a few more shots.

Thanks for the info spxdsc40, lots of good things for me to look into.

For those asking, I'm rocking an XD9 subcompact. Should be in my signature. Maybe it isn't showing since I'm new here?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm 6'4" but weigh a bit more. Still considered slim, I guess. I'm with ya'. It's difficult. The ONLY holster I find comfortable is SOB (small of back) IWB. It's the most concealed position for me, IMO.

Mine is from Gavin at firearmholster.com. Real nice. I can drive (cage), ride (motorcycle) and it's all good.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I stand just under 6ft and weigh 145. With a runners build. About a 30 inch waist. It's all in technique and practice. I've carried full size 1911's and plenty of large single stacks (p228 and xdm to name a couple.). Key for me has always been quality holster and supportive belt. But if you are new to carry, then no matter what you are gonna feel like everyone is staring. They can't tell, trust me.

For what it's worth, I switch to single stack polymer guns and it has become crazy easy. Great offerings from S&W, SA, Kahr, Beretta, and Glock. I carry a shield now, and it is invisible! And the best part, I can't even tell It's there.

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got my eye on the small-of-back idea. Or maybe something high up at the 4:00 position.

I've heard one of the tricks, in the meantime before I get my CCW, is to just rock the holster and get used to the fact that it's there.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
As far as holsters, sometimes money spent is directly correlated to how well it ticks. Sometimes It's not. Alien gear will probably be the cheapest. It will work incredible. And it has changeable shells for different guns. But on the downside they take a while to ship. 6 weeks typically.

On the more expensive side crossbreed super tuck is an AMAZING holster, but will run you 70 bucks or so. I carry my shield in a Galco leather/kydex and I've liked it a lot. Really your options are limitless.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I may have been able to get a better deal on an XDS but the 13-round mag of the XD really appeals to me. I think I can sacrifice a little printing for a few more shots.
I had a little bit easier time moving from an XDsc to an XDs as I had already given up rounds by starting with a .40 S&W XDsc. I went from 9+1 to 7+1 with the big difference coming in my backup mag 12 vs 7. I know I could get an extended mag for my XDs but the idea is to go as small as possible and another point is that I have heard there are some reliability issues with the XDs extended mags. I know it is mainly the .45 mags but the question still remains for me so I chose not to purchase am extended mag for carry.

As azfirst said you can carry a full size but you have to go to more effort to hide the gun. A single stack polymer gun IWB makes it much easier for me to carry comfortably.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 6-2" 155 lbs and carry a Sccy CPX2, (which is just as wide as the XDm) AIWB in a Crossbreed Appendix just fine.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
6'5" 189 - my recommendation, LC9 or other small frame in a pocket.

·
Registered
48 Posts
XDs 3.3" 9mm flush mount magazine loaded with #8 in the pipe and carry a spare extended magazine in a good appendix holster and magazine holster.

·
Registered
799 Posts

Thanks for the info spxdsc40, lots of good things for me to look into.

For those asking, I'm rocking an XD9 subcompact. Should be in my signature. Maybe it isn't showing since I'm new here?
I carry an XDsc 9mm in the winter.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia. Lots of knowledgeable folks here that can share their experience. I'm sure some of them are also "super skinny dudes" but I ain't one of them - 6'1" 210 pounds but I am able to completely conceal my XDm 4.5 with the Crossbreed Supertuck holster.

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
I've got my eye on the small-of-back idea.
As a firearms instructor of many years, I don't recommend SOB. It a dangerous position from which to draw. You will sweep your own body, as well as anyone behind you or to your strong side, with the muzzle.

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a firearms instructor of many years, I don't recommend SOB. It a dangerous position from which to draw. You will sweep your own body, as well as anyone behind you or to your strong side, with the muzzle.
Hmmm. Good point.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts