Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went around to the normal outdoorsy places the last few days to check prices on components I use. I have noticed a pretty good jump in reloading gear recently. Scheels use to have primers in 1k bricks for $29 even when they were getting hard to find still $29, now $35-49 depending on the flavor.I dont even want to tell you what Bass Pro wants for primers. Powder is the same about a $2-4 hike per pound luckily I have a small gunshop remotely close that beats them all but it's about a 35 min drive. Is the raise in prices just local or are others seeing a jump?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You don't want to know what the stores in my city charge. I would never even consider buying any components from them.

Great deals are to be had on the good 'ol internet.

10k primers and 10 pounds of powder and you're set for a while.
They even deliver to right to your door and no tax to boot;)

I think Grafs is having a discount on hazmat right now if you don't want to order in such large quantities it would help.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well you probably have noticed milk & bread prices going up too. The falling $$ + high fuel prices is going to push mat'l costs up. It pays to shop the net for good deals. I just got some primers & powder in from Graf's on their reduced HM fee. I saved at least $10/K & $5/# on my powder & primers vs buying local & paying 8% sales tax.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Local supplies are sporadic (primers) and powder is still cheap enough. The folks at Graf's put on a sale every few months and often have the reduced hazmat fee to. They have become my source for primers and order 10k at a time. Even with full hazmat it's cheaper than buying local. Bullet prices are up a little as well but buying in bulk saves you there as well.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Yeah I have noticed prices up about what the OP stated. I am driving distance to Grafs, and MidwayUSA, both about 30 minutes, save shipping/haz but have to pay tax.

Sometimes I just want to buy a #1 of Winchester 231 local gun shop, used to be $18.50, now they want $22.50, primers are around $38, used to get them for $27, kind of sucks but I still love reloading, loaded 400 rounds this weekend. Buying in bulk seems to be the answer, soon I will be needing bullets, down to 5K primers and a few pounds of powder, so I think I am going to get a #8 of powder next time. I am going to stick to FMJ 124 grain for my 9mm, thought about going to lead from Missouri Bullet, but from my research takes a little more work to make lead load work.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm going to have to take a trip to my Gunshop soon found my primer supply to be lacking even with what I got today. Luckily he has the best prices on H335 he's $18/lb BassP was $28.99 Sportsmans and Scheels were pretty close at about $21.99. Thought about ordering from Graf's but didn't have enough cash to order as much as I wanted and having that shop close helps. Plus if you buy 4 or 8lb containers of the powder he keeps in large quantities he will refill your jug and give you $6-10 off.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Copper prices are down; lead prices are down. At least in terms of brass and bullets, there should be downward pressure on prices.

Lead is down 25 percent in the last five weeks (Kitco - Spot Lead Historical Charts and Graphs - Lead charts - Industrial metals)

Copper is down roughly the same since July (Kitco - Spot Copper Historical Charts and Graphs - Copper charts - Industrial metals)

Of course, that has only limited influence on primer and powder costs, but at least some things are coming down.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Some people think metals are coming down to the real prices but manufactures are probably not going to lower prices for their product right away. Because they bought at the higher price and are worried that the prices for metals are going back up.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Copper prices are down; lead prices are down. At least in terms of brass and bullets, there should be downward pressure on prices.

Lead is down 25 percent in the last five weeks (Kitco - Spot Lead Historical Charts and Graphs - Lead charts - Industrial metals)

Copper is down roughly the same since July (Kitco - Spot Copper Historical Charts and Graphs - Copper charts - Industrial metals)

Of course, that has only limited influence on primer and powder costs, but at least some things are coming down.
Only if prices stay down for say 6m. Most manuf are working w/ raw mat'l. bought 6-12m ago, so the current spot price isn't going to change pricing much IMO. Now if the economy continues to slide & comodity prices w/ it, then you might see a small price drop in components as manuf start trying to move inventory. The continuing slide in the $$ is not likely to end anytime soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts