Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my completed first build guys. Some of you know that this has been a work in progress for a while. There are still a few little "extras" that I want to add but as of now it is fire ready. I had lots of questions and got lots of answers from you all on here. In the end I made up my own mind on lots of things and think I ended up with a better quality rifle than I could have bought already assembled...

I went with a complete Spikes Tactical Lower, then stripped the trigger out and put the parts in a parts bin for spares for my S&W MP15. Kept the buffer spring, buffer, butt stock...etc (all the other parts). I added an RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger to the lower and am going to be adding an Ambidextrious Safety as well. I also removed/replaced the standard grip with the Hogue Rubber grip, and added some color to the lower.

The upper also came complete but ditched the BCG that came with it and went with the RRA Chrome bolt and carrier group. (The original went into the parts bin with the trigger from the lower). This is a 22" 416 SS Bull Barrel with 1:9 twist, and 11 deg. target crown, M4 feed ramps and chrome chamber. Added a Stag Arms Charging Handle also. Had to drill out the free float tube for the mounting of sling stud to get the Harris Bipod on. I am going to be changing the Gas Block as well but wanted to keep that free for "accessories" other than the bipod. Added SWFA S.S.A.L.T. scope mount and a fourth generation 4-16x50 Millet Tactical TRS-1 Illuminated reticle mildot scope.

Heres the pics, let me know what you think...keep in mind this is my first build and like I said there are some more little things that I am going to be doing as time on but for now it is range ready...plz be gentle lol...

$SAM_1231.jpg $SAM_1233.jpg $SAM_1234.jpg $SAM_1235.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys, don't know why this only lets me upload 5 at a time...

$SAM_1241.jpg $SAM_1246.jpg $SAM_1244.jpg $SAM_1249.jpg $SAM_1250.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks great. It's not my style, I prefer more of the CQB look with shorter barrel and 1x sight, but I like your build for a long gun.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great. It's not my style, I prefer more of the CQB look with shorter barrel and 1x sight, but I like your build for a long gun.
Thanks. My goal with this one was to put together a gun that would be a good "long" range varmint gun.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like a nice, long range piece. What trigger did you put into it?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a nice, long range piece. What trigger did you put into it?
Thanks. Trigger that I put in was a Rock River Arms National Match 2 Stage...think it's going to make a difference on the accuracy over the single stage that I have in my SW MP15...really like the feel of the 2 stage! When I get this out to the range I will post back with how it shoots. I'm going to try to get out today but wether is kind of rough this morning...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you swap out the BCM just because you wanted chrome? I am still learning with ARs but I thought BCM was top of the line. Is there an advantage to the chrome?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you swap out the BCM just because you wanted chrome? I am still learning with ARs but I thought BCM was top of the line. Is there an advantage to the chrome?
What I swapped was the BCG, the one that was in it was just a run of the mill stock bolt carrier group. I was looking at several "better" ones and for the money decided on the chrome. IMO the chrome runs smoother than the standard and provieds more reliable opperation, and is not as expensive as my original plan of the Fail Zero. The chrome BCG that I went with is not the best of the best but I did not pay $250.00 bucks for it nor did I have to wait 3-4 months to get it....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Looks like a great build...Congrats...:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hot Damn! Glad you got it all worked out.
Good looking rifle man!
May I make a suggestion...?
If you like the RRA 2 stage National Match trigger. Then you'll love it after adding a Superior Shooting Systems National Match trigger and hammer spring set. I tried it both ways and the springs smooth out the trigger really nice.
Here is a link to SSS National Match springs set AR-15 Natl Match CS Trig/Hamr spring set - AR15 Trigger Springs by Superior Shooting Systems

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I like it.
Looks like it could be a nice 500yrd gopher getter, only some range time will tell.
Look forward to seeing some quarter sized ragged holes at 100yrds.

One thing, it looks like it is going to be way too front heavy, I'd recommend a heavier stock. And I think something like a Magpul UBR or PRS would be perfect.
All the best attributes of a fixed stock and a adjustable in one.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hot Damn! Glad you got it all worked out.
Good looking rifle man!
May I make a suggestion...?
If you like the RRA 2 stage National Match trigger. Then you'll love it after adding a Superior Shooting Systems National Match trigger and hammer spring set. I tried it both ways and the springs smooth out the trigger really nice.
Here is a link to SSS National Match springs set AR-15 Natl Match CS Trig/Hamr spring set - AR15 Trigger Springs by Superior Shooting Systems
Thanks jn_fsu! Has taken a while to get my mind made up but it all came together very nicely! I love the RRA 2 stage trigger, I will look at this one too tho, if it is improvable I am game! lol

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Damn that looks sweet! Great choices for all of your parts. Can't go wrong with Spike's and RRA. I plan on doing a build at some point as I own 2 prebuilt AR's already but the next one will probably be a .308. I really want something that can reach out and touch targets at that long range.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like it.
Looks like it could be a nice 500yrd gopher getter, only some range time will tell.
Look forward to seeing some quarter sized ragged holes at 100yrds.

One thing, it looks like it is going to be way too front heavy, I'd recommend a heavier stock. And I think something like a Magpul UBR or PRS would be perfect.
All the best attributes of a fixed stock and a adjustable in one.
Buddy, let me tell you....500yds is not going to be a problem with this gun. Had it out for the first time this morning (just got home) and I was hitting softball size rocks at 400+ with 55gr Horn. V-Max bullets over 22.0gr of H335 with no problem at all. Was hittin rocks that far cuz I am too damn lazy today to walk the distance in the desert today...but just the same this gun is the sh** for me. I was in such a hurry to get out that I left my damn targets sitting on the kitchen table when I left so had to make due with what was out in the desert. As soon as I can I will be going back out and will be sure to take the targets with me, but can already say with 100% certainty that there will be no disappointment with this gun.

As for the balance, it is perfect. I think the bipod is mounted far enough forward that it offsets the difference pretty good, very comfortable to shoot...in fact the back is still a little heavier than the front so you have to tuck the butt stock into your shoulder just a little to keep the muzzle from wanting to rock upwards...balance is good tho, I think the 2 pound scope helps...lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 43 Posts