Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.8 Compact in 9mm and .45 ACP.
Gave up a few chances over the past year at a couple of their brother in .40 S&W. I know .40 is not in and most people hate it, I have a couple in Glocks and I shoot it well. To me the XDm is built better for that round. Do I need one, no. Do I want one, sure. Got one last chance at completing the 3.8 Compact trifecta. I am sure after this one sells, no more. BTW, new gun, not used. So my question is, any of y'all have it in .40 and how do you like it compared to the 9 and 45? They heavy slide and recoil spring used should make it better than the Glock 23.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
If I had the chance at one and even remotely wanted one, I would get it. Even though the .40 is not the "in" caliber atm, it is still a viable round with a decent following.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have one and I think it’s the ideal gun for concealed carry and home defense. I think the 40 is a very capable round and that the XDM compact 3.8 handles it excellently. If I were you I’d get it! I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have carried that round on and off for 15+ years. Don't want to stir up the caliber wars, but it has it's place. It really is not an in between caliber. It is hard to shoot well for some. A local PD just improved their qualifying first time pass rate by 40% after switching to 9mm. I compiled the attached chart based on Speer Gold Dots. Each person must decide about felt recoil, how they perform with the round, do they use +P, and so on.
The round does perform. Do you need all of that power, you decide.
Screenshot_20200618-200309.jpg

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
^ Exactly - try to be as objective as possible in your assessment, if you're going to pursue the purchase via that "justification."

Set a standard via a scored time/distance metric. Objectively measure performance based on the scoring.

"Recoil feel" is problematic in that it is by-definition subjective. As a car-person, we are fond of "bench-racing," but we all know that when we get our cars out there on the track, that bar-side brag may or may not hold up to real-world measures, and this is very much the same with our personal performance with firearms, and handguns in-particular.

With the .40 S&W, the best and most honest assessment I've ever heard came from an SME-level individual as-quoted by DocGKR, citing the core question as whether "the juice is worth the squeeze." There's some things that the .40 S&W does unquestionably well (intermediate barrier penetration, off the top of my head), but there's never a free lunch, and the price to be paid for this is recoil that is harder to control. As we shrink the gun (with all other factors held equal), it becomes progressively harder to effect good recoil control - hence the question: is the juice worth the squeeze?

For the SME (an armed professional) interviewed by DocGKR, it was his - and that of his colleagues' - expert opinion(s) that things started to get a bit too much to handle with the .40 S&W with pistols whose frames are much smaller than that of the Glock 23 - that, for example, the G27 is just too much. The XDM 3.8 Compact is in that weird realm of being larger than the 27, but smaller than the 23....

Attacking the question from a different perspective, I'd say that if you're looking to complete the set, the question instead becomes "why not?" ;)

There's a lot of subjective reasons one could give, but something objective that helps is the idea of ammunition diversity.

We saw in now the last 3 iterations of "ammo crazes" that the first to go off the shelves are the common/popular cartridges. 9x19 disappears virtually overnight as demand can easily outstrip the short-term supply chain, so having something in one's stable that's less common can be of-help in this kind of situation. Typically, the ability of modern pistols chambered in .40 S&W to be able to interchange with .357 SIG via drop-in barrel conversions gives these twins even more utility in such a scenario.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I have an earlier generation 4.5" XDM .40, and am very, very happy with it.

A bit more recoil... sure.... as TSI above says, it's all subjective.... but the larger frame / barrel on the 4.5" seems to handle it just fine. Until just recently I didn't have a good holster for it to carry, so it's been my home defense gun with a Streamlight TLR-1-HL mounted on it. Great for that purpose. ..... and a range toy when I get a chance to get out there.

(Safariland just helped me get a good holster to carry with the mounted light, so while not a concealment gun for me, it can be carried now!!!).

With I have no idea how many rounds through it at this point.... well over a couple of thousand.... there have been zero failures of any type that were not instructor initiated for training/drills. Love the gun, very happy with it and recommend it to anyone..... and the .40 round? absolutely a good match for that frame IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I find the 40 very controllable in the XDM 3.8 Compact frame. It might be fun to have all three calibers just to compare and contrast them, but I am of the opinion that you can’t go wrong in a 3.8” barrel with any of the choices. Ammo capacity vs power will never go away as a discussion but if you look at it objectively it seems that all three choices (.45ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm) are great for personal protection. You can even debate bullet weight vs velocity in each caliber, when considering getting sufficient velocity for hollow point expansion. No matter what choice though, it’s going to poke holes in bad guys.

Yes the short grip with the flush mags gives less to hang on to BUT for me that pays off in making the gun easier to conceal, which means it won’t stay at home!! For home defense scenarios you can use the extended mags which add capacity and grip area, negating any concerns about controllability. This for me was a huge selling point in favor of the XDM 3.8 Compact, no matter which caliber you’re talking about. As a platform, I think it’s genius. I was actually surprised when they cancelled it, but then again I can’t track sales trends so I have no way to know what others like beyond forums.

Ultimately, you can justify getting it in 40 to complete the set, AND for comparisons of all 3 rounds in fairly identical guns (which would make an interesting article!) AND because you want to have the option of 40S&W available to you in a platform you are very familiar with. Let us know what you choose! (If you thought we’d talk you OUT of it I’m sorry. We’re ENABLERS here haha!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great feedback here guys!
So, in order to buy something I must sell something. The whole want vs. need thing is a bummer, LOL.
I want to share the website with y'all, since this forum may have someone really desiring one. Note: I do not know the person selling, I saw it on GunAuction and contacted him after it ended with no bids.
I need to sell a Glock 23 locally before I can order and pay shipping and the FFL transfer fee at my LGS. So, no go for now.
I was told it is new. I will not share the price, just contact the seller, he will get back with you very quickly.
Smokepole06

1 - 8 of 8 Posts