Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so pissed...i ordered this DVD and awaited its arrival like a kid. Now that i'm watching it...i'm extremely dissapointed.
Here's the product description from cheaperthandirt.com:

Product Description: DVD Complete Springfield XD Cleaning, Care& Shooting

Firearms DVD's Comprehensive information in standard DVD format, learn about the weapons and their use, history and care. DVD's can not be returned if opened, exchange only. Complete Springfield XD, 90 Minutes, Cleaning, Care, Shooting

ehhhh...BULLSH*T!!! this DVD does not go into anything concerning cleaning or shooting at all. It is only assembly and reassembly.

ok..i guess you could say that dissasembly is part of cleaning, but this DVD does not go over any cleaning products, tips, etc...you know...no specifics...actually I think the word cleaning was only mentioned once during the field strip section of the movie.

And Shooting!!! LOL...when do they ever go over shooting??? this word is not even mentioned during the entire DVD.

IMO if your looking for "Complete Springfield XD Cleaning, Care & Shooting" don't waste your money on this DVD.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There's a couple other reviews of this same DVD floating around the forum. Sorry to hear you wasted your money on it...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmm, thats strange. My Springfield DVD shows girls nude shooting full auto XD's with 100 round mags :shock:

But seriously, I thought there was shooting on it too. I mainly wanted it for the disassembly and reassembly since I'm taking it apart and having everything coated OD Green.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mainly wanted it for the disassembly and reassembly since I'm taking it apart and having everything coated OD Green
Sure...if you knew that it was only dissasembly and reassembly...fine...you got what you paid for...but cheaperthandirts description is only about 35% accurate!

If anyone wants this DVD...i'll sell it to you for $10 plus S&H. Please see Trading post message to reply if you want it!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
glfpunk said:
My question is why do you need to buy a DVD to learn how to clean your gun?
it doesnt matter why, maybe hes a brand new shooter, either way, he is not happy with his purchase and is kind enough to give his personal eveluation on it in order to help others.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep...its my first gun...and wanted some help with which areas to clean...how to clean them properly...what products are used where. What areas you should not clean with certain products etc etc. You may be an expert but I don't think that gun cleaning is as simple as cleaning out the bore and the feed ramp...at least not a thurough one anyway. Besides...the description says

Product Description: DVD Complete Springfield XD Cleaning, Care & Shooting
So I was under the impression it was going to go over shooting techniques as well. For God's sake...the damn description doesn't even mention assembly at all!

There are DVD's out there for cleaning guns...so if there was no need..they would not have made them!

·
Registered
345 Posts
So I know now not to buy that DVD, thanks for your review! Does anyone else reccomend buying something else?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
reesegr said:
yep...its my first gun...and wanted some help with which areas to clean...how to clean them properly...what products are used where. What areas you should not clean with certain products etc etc. You may be an expert but I don't think that gun cleaning is as simple as cleaning out the bore and the feed ramp...at least not a thurough one anyway. Besides...the description says

There are DVD's out there for cleaning guns...so if there was no need..they would not have made them!
Do yourself a favor and have a friend show you how to clean a gun. There are a million products, and everyone has their personal preferences. You can't go wrong with any of the CLP stuff (Clean, Lubricate, Preserve/Protect?)...made by several companies. You can use the one chemical for everything. Down the line you can try different products and figure out what you like. But to start, keep it simple.

Just get a little starter kit...they will come with everything you need... a cleaning rod that will hold a brass bore brush, a patch holder, a bunch of patches, a bottle of CLP, some kits will come with a toothbrush, but they are easy to find in your bathroom, and make sure you get some q-tips. Clean Bore has a nice kit for under $10 including a silicone cloth, and a small bottle of their brand of CLP that will last a long time.

As for shooting, I highly recommend taking a lesson and PAYING for it. You will get someone qualified, and avoid all the confusion you will get if you listen to what everyone tells you. You will get so much conflicting information you'd be better off with trial and error (almost...I have heard of people getting hurt by having the slide come back and hit their "off" hand). A lesson is the best way you can spend $50 (or whatever the rate is where you go to shoot)...I have been shooting for over 35 years including basic training in the Army, and I took a lesson a few months ago and it improved my shooting immensely. It was worth the $50 just to get me to stop shooting my different guns differently. I now hold my .45 and my .22 exactly the same. It's helped in a big way.

The XD is very easy to field strip and easy to clean.

The cleaning kits have an instruction sheet that covers the basics. But having someone show you is worth a million words. It really is quite easy.'

If you have a problem with something specific in cleaning your gun, just ask for advice from the people that sell cleaning supplies. There are some very specific products. But none I can think of for the XD (unless you have a stainless slide).

Peace,
D.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Guys, I REVIEWED this DVD right here in these very forums! In the other threads when you started talking about this DVD like it was about cleaning, I even posted the link.

If after all that stuff you till got ripped off, I have no sympathy. Email them, dont rant here. You were warned here :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
who needs sympathy? I'm not really looking for any sympathy...just using this forum for what its supposed to be used for...information?

Again...the description on the cheaperthandirt.com website says:

Product Description: DVD Complete Springfield XD Cleaning, Care & Shooting

so i don't know...call me stupid for thinking that it actually did have the content that cheaperthandirt said it had. They should actually know what is on the DVD if they are selling it. I'm not sure where they got their info from...but its obviously incorrect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reesegr, I agree. I really don't mind seeing anyone's reaction to products out there. Frankly, that's why I read these.

Rant here all you want. The more ranting and raving I hear - the more insight I have on buying products.

I am in the process of looking for my first XD, and since I have no friends that are expert gun mechanics or even gun owners, I would possibly look into informational videos in the future.

Sorry you got ripped off. It happens to everyone.

P.S. Does springfield make anything like this video you're looking for?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
If anyone wants to get a reall DVD to explain absolute disassembly and reassembly then you should look into the XD DVD from GUNVIDEO
It is very in depth and informative. It was done by Lenny Magill. He is pretty much the only guy that does somewhat decent videos about firearms. I have it and it was OK.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Knight Of Light said:
If anyone wants to get a reall DVD to explain absolute disassembly and reassembly then you should look into the XD DVD from GUNVIDEO
It is very in depth and informative. It was done by Lenny Magill. He is pretty much the only guy that does somewhat decent videos about firearms. I have it and it was OK.
LOL...this is the movie we are talking about....and in fact I have to problem with its content on dissassembly and reassembly....if you read the first post of mine...you'll see why I felt i was ripped off.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Hmmm!...Mine had the New Christy Minstrels retrospect... :roll:

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Yeah I don't like that movie either!!!! UHH Yeah!! It was really kind of UHHH crappy. UUUHHHHHH DDDDUUUHHHHH

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

OOOPS. I actually kind of liked it. I have trouble putting things back together again. I always have stuff left over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts