Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem an absurd question since I am just now preparing to buy my first handgun. I have all but decided on the 9mm xdm 3.8 compact. It seems to have the best of both worlds with the shorter grip for concealment, yet has the option for the full size mag (19+1) for range shooting, etc.

On the chance that I might develop into a proficient shooter, I am thinking that maybe down the road a piece I would like to consider competitive shooting. I am a very competitive person anyway and it would be a natural step for me. Would the xdm 3.8 compact suffice for competitive shooting or would I have to go to a larger gun to seriously compete?

I am just trying to cover all my bases to reduce any chance of buyers remorse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The xdm 3.8 would qualify for USPSA Production division. If you shoot it well then that's fine. I shoot USPSA at a local club and there are a few guys who use their carry pieces for competition.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't do competitive shooting (yet), but I have both the XDm 9mm 4.5 and the Compact. I've only had the Compact for a few weeks, and I don't know why, but I consistantly shoot it slightly better than my full size and its been that way since the first time I took it out to the range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see lots of people shooting compacts in IDPA, you will be fine. You dont have to wait til your an ace shooter to compete. Once you do it you will be hooked and standing still shooting at the same target over and over and over will seem silly.

I shoot IDPA with my 9mm Tactical and 9mm SC and out shot a lot of people with the SC surprisingly .I go mostly to compete with myself and for the practice. Im somewhere in the top 10 most accurate every month so thats kinda cool :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. Ironically, I looked at the xdm 9mm 4.5 in a store today and it was not near as large as I thought it would be. It felt great in my hand as well. If anything, it actually felt a tad lighter than the 3.8 compact. Is that possible, or just my imagination? Anyway, you guys have helped me with my decisions. Whichever way I go, I don't think there will be any buyer's remorse. The Springfield xdm's are the only ones I have felt comfortable with since I have small hands. I tried the Beretta's and Glock's, but did not like their feel. Hopefully, I will be making my purchase the next few days. Thanks again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With small hands you should enjoy the ability to change out the grip panels to suit you. In the store I think the XDM probably had the #2 panel on it and you might even like the #1 better with small hands. Good luck with your choice. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't have the weights handy, but the the 4.5" and the 3.8" are near identical in weight. The barrel and slide on the 3.8" are a bit beefier, and the captive guide rod in the 3.8" weighs more than the guide rod/spring in the 4.5" At least that's what I recall. I dug out my little digital scale a couple weeks ago and played around with my disassembled handguns while I was cleaning them up.

You will do fine with either the 4.5" or the 3.8" for beginner competition in a competitive shooting sport. There are plenty of guys who shoot them regularly at the matches I attend. In fact my first match I ever shot I used my XD 9 Sub Compact. As you progress in skill and speed you will want the full size. Simply for the simple fact that it HURTS like crazy if you pinch the web of your shooting hand between the magazine extension when you're sliding it in. Just a fair warning. =) And don't be ashamed, I've done it plenty of times myself.

And like Northern Gal said, I shoot my 3.8" compact more accurately than my 4.5" I'm not sure if it's the gun, barrel, me... or what. But the 3.8 just shoots smaller groups for me. Of course I stopped counting around 6k rounds thru it. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm over 10 or 12k now. I shoot at least 1000 rounds a month thru it.

Overall for a fast/smooth draw, and more positive recoil management, I use the 4.5" 9mm for shooting sports. At least until I can find a way to pickup a Trojan that is... =)

·
Registered
232 Posts
You may not know it, but the odds are very great that you will end up with more than one gun. Get the 3.8 if concealment is your greater priority right now. If you really get into shooting as a hobbie, then you can look at the 4.5 or even the 5.25 in the future. There is a world of pistols out there. Don't limit yourself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You may not know it, but the odds are very great that you will end up with more than one gun.
Boy isn't that the truth! I spent weeks researching before I bought my XDm 4.5 because it was going to be my only gun and I wanted to make sure I did it right. That was in May - In July I bought my compact - Now I'm researching a 1911 - And I'm sure once I have that I'll be looking for another one (because I understand you can't buy just one 1911, either) Once you have one gun and start shooting, you're going to have another...and another....and another. It's just the way of the world, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Boy isn't that the truth! I spent weeks researching before I bought my XDm 4.5 because it was going to be my only gun and I wanted to make sure I did it right. That was in May - In July I bought my compact - Now I'm researching a 1911 - And I'm sure once I have that I'll be looking for another one (because I understand you can't buy just one 1911, either) Once you have one gun and start shooting, you're going to have another...and another....and another. It's just the way of the world, I guess. ;)
They're like potato chips!

I keep telling myself, 'no more'. I've got all I need and can't shoot all that I've got. Then I end up buying another. :shock:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Not to change your mind or anything, but if you try to shoot IDPA the XDm is going to fall under ESP. That is why I didn't go with the XD line, not that I dont like XD's but because I wanted a SSP gun of course now I'm starting to drool over a M&P 40 Pro to compete in Limited 10 with lol.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
It doesn't make a lot of difference what division XD's and XDm's get shoved into. You still have to shoot the gun. ESP is full of Glock's and 1911's but the XD will and can compete in this division.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you guys are right. My wife is interested in shooting as well. So, there will definitely be at least two pistols in our family. Probably, as suggested, I will go with the 4.5 AND 3.8 compact. It's just a matter of which one first as I'm on a tight budget. If I go with the two guns mentioned, do you think all things will be equal as my wife and I will probably compete against each other?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Buy the 4.5 or even the new 5.25 as it has a longer sight radius. You and your wife will have to adapt to which ever gun you buy.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It doesn't make a lot of difference what division XD's and XDm's get shoved into. You still have to shoot the gun. ESP is full of Glock's and 1911's but the XD will and can compete in this division.
I agree, I shoot an XDTAC in 45acp in ESP, just download off the 165PF I use for CDP. I don't really see why anyone WANTS to shoot SSP, it's almost exclusively held up by the GLock shooters. So CDP & ESP for me, throw in ESR, lots of fun there.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't really see why anyone WANTS to shoot SSP, it's almost exclusively held up by the GLock shooters.
while the glocks do have a large following in SSP it doesn't mean other pistols like CZ's and M&P's can't compete. I think SSP is the ideal division for people who want to get more experience with their carry guns. Also since all targets are scored minor in SSP it gives no advantage to 40's or 45's.

Now if i wanted to compete in ESP i'd get a M&P 40 pro and use it in L10 also, I don't like ESP because of the modifications allowed like mag wells.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't really see why anyone WANTS to shoot SSP, it's almost exclusively held up by the GLock shooters.
Oh, I don't know about that. I used to shoot in SSP with my Para TAC FOUR LDA and did rather well against the Glocks. I'm not a serious competitor (SS class) and shoot to improve my SD skills but, I would be in the high middle of the pack with lots of Glocks below me. :cool:

·
Registered
477 Posts
while the glocks do have a large following in SSP it doesn't mean other pistols like CZ's and M&P's can't compete. I think SSP is the ideal division for people who want to get more experience with their carry guns. Also since all targets are scored minor in SSP it gives no advantage to 40's or 45's.

Now if i wanted to compete in ESP i'd get a M&P 40 pro and use it in L10 also, I don't like ESP because of the modifications allowed like mag wells.
I think you are getting IDPA and IPSC/USPSA mixed up a little...

SSP and ESP divisions is IDPA and there is no Minor/Major difference in scoring.

Production and L10 divisions is IPSC/USPSA, there is a difference in Minor/Major scoring but XD's can run in Production and all Production scoring is done in Minor.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I think you are getting IDPA and IPSC/USPSA mixed up a little...

SSP and ESP divisions is IDPA and there is no Minor/Major difference in scoring.

Production and L10 divisions is IPSC/USPSA, there is a difference in Minor/Major scoring but XD's can run in Production and all Production scoring is done in Minor.
Your right sorry about that.

My point was more about not being able to run the xd in SSP rather than the scoring.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Your right sorry about that.

My point was more about not being able to run the xd in SSP rather than the scoring.
The XD is not allowed in SSP, that is my understanding of the rules. IT must be shot in ESP. Most guys I see in SSP are shooting Glocks of some type, a few M92, the occasional Sig or S&W. As already noted, the scoring is the same regardless of caliber, but a PF has to be met. Moving to ESP allows some mods like checkering or stippling the grip frame, not allowed in SSP, so you'll see the XD quite a bit there. The 45cal loaded down close to minor is pleasent to shoot, makes bigger holes & there is no mag cap advantage. SO I can shoot my XDTAC in CDP & ESP w/ just an ammo download from 170PF to 140PF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts