Springfield XD Forum banner

Competitive Shooting for a 'Novice'

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mbrando 
#1 ·
I recently have been very interested in shooting IDPA or something very similar. I understand it does not require any extra or expensive equipment and I think it'll be much more fun and beneficial compared to shooting at an indoor range.

I am a little hesitant because I'm no bulls-eye shooter. I have been shooting for 10 years and hit the range maybe once a month. I have taken two classes over the years - one when I first started and one when I introduced my wife to shooting. They were basic courses. I am familiar with safe firearm handling, maintenance (at least on what I own) and basic field stripping. I understand sight alignment and sight picture, but still tend to shoot a little low and left. I am fully capable of hitting an 8" circle at 10 yards while taking my time. I do not often rapid fire but when I do that 8" circle is doable at more like 7 yards.

My goal to competitive shooting is:
To be more comfortable under pressure
Acquiring new skills as a shooter
And to have fun
I am not expecting to put up any good times for the course.

What do you guys think? Am I 'good enough'?

See less See more
#6 ·
I completed my first IDPA style shoot today. I was a lot of fun and while I didn't do as good as expected - it was a blast and discovered some weak points of mine.

My local club has this style shooting once a month and I plan on participating in more events.

#8 ·
Hello all.

Joined idpa about a month ago. Done three local club matches.

Doing a club match at bend in the river near niles, mich. signed up to shoot cdp with my XDE 45.

I’m thinking I will alternate matches doing ssp with my walther ppq 9mm.

It’s interesting the way the divisions are defined. I can use my walther only in ssp or esp if I wanted even though I have no mods. As far as ic am tell from reading the rule book and talking to more experienced idpa-ers I can use my xde for ssp, esp, cdp, ccp, and even bug!

I cc the 45, so the ccp or cdp make the most sense to me. I don’t think it’s practical or comfortable to carry my full frame walther measuring out at over 8”. Anyway, just seems curious.

I’ll let you know how I do.

Anybody else shooting this weekend?

Crab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Did a club match again at bend in the river. warm and muggy. Tougher stages than last time.

Shot my xde 45 in cdp. It’s a really good piece. Not one malfunction since it came out of the box. I’m over 1000 rds. The trigger needs some tightening. Will do at some point when it becomes the limiting factor relative to my skill.

I took a procedural in one stage today. Failure to engage target from cover. I clearly got the shot off before the cardboard did, but whatever. [emoji12] Shot middling. Had fun. Idpa is definitely like golf. It comes and goes!

We had a guy in our squad get dqd. He tripped on a raised position marker, stumbled, the muzzle broke 180, then he dropped his gun.

Anybody else shoot this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Hello,

Yes, do it. Find a local match IDPA or USPSA. You'll find people are friendly and more than willing to help yo with critique or suggestions if you let them know you are new to the sport and open to suggestions.

#11 ·
Good match on Saturday at Berrien County Sportsman’s Club. One stage was four targets adjacent to four no shoots in a pinwheel at 100 feet. Damn. Not a shot Ive practiced. Needless to say, didn’t do well. Very humbling. However, it definitely makes me think about my skill level and related tactics and judgements past 30 feet.

Anybody else shoot this weekend?

#12 ·
Hello,

I was at a USPSA match at Oak Park Sportsmen's club. I did well the first 6 stages then the wheels fell off on the last stage. Three misses I thought I had two hits on. More than two hits on some targets I thought had misses. It was a mess. I got lost.

Plan on hitting 3gun at BORCC next Saturday. Should be fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.