Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few months ago I bought the pre-customized XD9 Tactical from Canyon Creek. Since I shoot IDPA, I went for a stainless steel guide rod (instead of the IDPA-illegal tungsten rod), 3# trigger and green fiber optic front site.

Have shot in three IDPA competitions with it so far, and have yet to place below 2nd. The gun is GREAT. Comes out of the holster and up on target as natural as can be. Easy to acquire that fiber optic green dot. Love the Bo-Mar adjustable rear site (Rich's work melding that into the slide is pure artistry). Only complaint is that I prefer a three-dot site arrangement for quick target acquistion, and that Bo-Mar is just basic black. Takes a while to get used to.

When I first fired it at the range, I remember thinking that the recoil was more than expected. Not bad, just more. But in the most recent competition I put six rounds in three targets while retreating in a little more than 3-1/2 seconds. Not bad considering that I started from a sitting position with the gun holstered underneath my vest. The gun can so out-perform me when I relax and let it do its job.

I probably have 1500 rounds through the gun, without a single malfunction. Granted, I shoot mostly Winchester White Box, but I have put a few other brands through the gun.

If you have a high-speed Internet connection, you can laugh at me by going here (you need Apple Quicktime installed in your system):

http://jim.griffiths.home.comcast.net/shooting.html

Shooting in CA State Championships in two weeks, and I know that there will be at least one other Canyon Creek XD at the match. Need to overcome the mind-farts and try to match the potential of the gun. And need to talk IDPA Headquarters into re-classifying the gun as Stock Service Pistol division so that I can compete against Glock 34s.

Best,

Jim
Castro Valley, CA

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jim,

What a great report on your new XD.

Did you shoot another XD before you got your custom?

I've also just bought an XD-9 Tactical, but mine is stock. I've only put a few hundred rounds of, yep, you guessed it, WWB through it and haven't had a single problem yet.

By the way, I grew up in Castro Valley but now live in Richmond. I'd like to get involved in some of the local IPSC stuff going on up here at the local Richmond range. Do you Chabot sometimes?

Best of luck ahead in your upcoming competitions.

Mark

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
markinho said:
What a great report on your new XD.

Did you shoot another XD before you got your custom?

By the way, I grew up in Castro Valley but now live in Richmond. I'd like to get involved in some of the local IPSC stuff going on up here at the local Richmond range. Do you Chabot sometimes?
Thanks!

No, I had handled the XD, but never fired it. After talking to other competitors, I heard nothing but praise for the way it shot. And all the gun mags also raved about the gun. So, I jumped in with both feet. I knew it was going to be a competition-only gun, so I spent the extra $$$ to get one from Canyon Creek. I figured that quality 1911s START at $1000, so the price for CC's custom XD didn't seem so bad.

The Richmond range is a great bunch of guys. I haven't shot IPSC there, but I do shoot IDPA at their every other month matches (November is next match). The funny thing is that since it is a hard-core IPSC range, they always set the IDPA matches up with a strong IPSC flavor. Last month, I burned through 225 rounds before match's end. Most IDPA matches that I have shot required 90-120 rounds. They love their multiple strings on the plate rack!

Their website has their full calendar:

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/

Yes, I do shoot at Chabot sometimes. Prettiest environment surrounding a range that I've ever seen. I actually started my IDPA shooting at their matches until they killed them off for political reasons last year. I toy with the idea of trying to get it started their again, but I've heard that someone is trying to get IDPA started in Concord/Walnut Creek. Want to see how that turns out before I start a Chabot effort.

Best,

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motengator said:
That was pretty cool shooting. :)
Thank you! But I wish I hadn't mind-farted on stage one. I shot the targets to the right of the wall, but then started to do a magazine change well before it was wise to do so. Right after starting the mag change, I realized my mistake, which screwed me further and caused me to drop the mag entirely.

I figure that one mental error cost me 10 seconds total, since it also forced an extra reload just to fire my last shot on the stage.

But that is the great thing about IDPA. It teaches you to shoot AND think. Can't get that at the standard shooting range firing line.

Best,

Jim

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ivan A. Makarova said:
You mentioned a 3# trigger-- I'd like to get my trigger pull a little lighter; what did you do to get your 3#?
Unfortunately, I cannot claim credit for the trigger. When I bought the gun pre-customized from Canyon Creek, they had me specify the trigger weight I desired.

Should have gone to 2#, but I have never competed with a trigger that light, so I went a little conservative. Trigger work is superb, though. I highly recommend them.

Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jim,

It looks like you had fun in that video.

You said that you didn't shoot an XD before you bought your current XD custom. But have you shot a stock XD yet to see how yours compares?

I like my XD just fine, but I would be interested in hearing how a few mods here or there can affect the design.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
markinho said:
It looks like you had fun in that video.

You said that you didn't shoot an XD before you bought your current XD custom. But have you shot a stock XD yet to see how yours compares?

I like my XD just fine, but I would be interested in hearing how a few mods here or there can affect the design.
I have shot a service model in 9mm, but only briefly. Thinking back, I was very impressed with the way it feels in the hand as it fires (better than my Glock 17).

Triggers didn't compare, though. If I had a service model, the two things I would do would be 1) trigger job, and 2) either a fiber optic front sights or night sights. For the trigger, I would probably go with a 4# weight as the minimum, since hair triggers are not good in a stress situation.

I may eventually buy another Tactical XD9 as a backup competition gun. I doubt if I can afford another full-blown Canyon Creek pre-customized model, but a stock Tactical with a CC trigger job and fiber optic front sight should work well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
canyon creek is mr. xd had my tactical trigger done very satisfying. Now need the bo-mars. Rich does great work.
Gryff said:
Few months ago I bought the pre-customized XD9 Tactical from Canyon Creek. Since I shoot IDPA, I went for a stainless steel guide rod (instead of the IDPA-illegal tungsten rod), 3# trigger and green fiber optic front site.

Have shot in three IDPA competitions with it so far, and have yet to place below 2nd. The gun is GREAT. Comes out of the holster and up on target as natural as can be. Easy to acquire that fiber optic green dot. Love the Bo-Mar adjustable rear site (Rich's work melding that into the slide is pure artistry). Only complaint is that I prefer a three-dot site arrangement for quick target acquistion, and that Bo-Mar is just basic black. Takes a while to get used to.

When I first fired it at the range, I remember thinking that the recoil was more than expected. Not bad, just more. But in the most recent competition I put six rounds in three targets while retreating in a little more than 3-1/2 seconds. Not bad considering that I started from a sitting position with the gun holstered underneath my vest. The gun can so out-perform me when I relax and let it do its job.

I probably have 1500 rounds through the gun, without a single malfunction. Granted, I shoot mostly Winchester White Box, but I have put a few other brands through the gun.

If you have a high-speed Internet connection, you can laugh at me by going here (you need Apple Quicktime installed in your system):

http://jim.griffiths.home.comcast.net/shooting.html

Shooting in CA State Championships in two weeks, and I know that there will be at least one other Canyon Creek XD at the match. Need to overcome the mind-farts and try to match the potential of the gun. And need to talk IDPA Headquarters into re-classifying the gun as Stock Service Pistol division so that I can compete against Glock 34s.

Best,

Jim
Castro Valley, CA
:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts