Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the competition extended mag release sold by XD-HS2000.com?

How do you like it?

If you notice, the release is shorter on the non-button side. I assume the release on the short side is standard length, or is it longer? ...I may want to also release the mag from the non-button side.

Thanks,
Darren

Etxended Magazine Release
Can be installed on any model XD or HS2000.
Checkered end for positive non slip grip.
Can be set for left or right hand shooters.
Price: $30.00 each extended magazine release in Stock.
For competition use only

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
With all the number crunchers around here, I'm still trying to find somone who will grab their calipers and do some measurements like overall length, offset sizes, etc on the stock release, the "Canyon Creek" one, and the one that James sells.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you are the Area 5 guy. We haven't met but I'm sure we know some of the same people. I belong to the Arnold Club in St. Louis and a lot of our guys went to your area championships. ...anyways, since you are a USPSA guy, do you happen to know if this button release is allowed in Production?

Thanks,
Darren

ampleworks said:
With all the number crunchers around here, I'm still trying to find somone who will grab their calipers and do some measurements like overall length, offset sizes, etc on the stock release, the "Canyon Creek" one, and the one that James sells.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I dont know why it wouldnt, ive seen extended mag realeases on Glocks that are used in production and some of the group that I shoot with has extended releases on their XD's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not up to speed on the rules yet and it's pretty obvious that the big button is not stock.

Thx.
DkM

ichy_trigger said:
I dont know why it wouldnt, ive seen extended mag realeases on Glocks that are used in production and some of the group that I shoot with has extended releases on their XD's.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm too lazy to get the rulebook out now but I will state that the Bar-Sto release is illegal because its too long. The one that Rich @ Canyon-Creek modifies internally, just shifting the cuts to the side thus its the same part just modified internally, its legal.

I'm not even sure if it'd matter because its an external modification, look at the edge of the button versus the stock one, this one looks like its checkered with a primer in the middle, the button is bigger than the release itself, thus from what my conception of "external modifications", this would be considered one and not legal for Production.

The Glockers can switch mag releases because its legal for you to put a factory part from one gun onto another factory gun. A good example is the mag and slide releases from a G34/35 to a G17/19.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The short answer is no it is not legal, as it is considered an "external modification". The extended mag releases on Glocks are the ones offered on the G-34/35 pistol and those are legal. If Springfield would produce an XD with the extended mag release as a standard feature then you could install that on any XD for Production use. The Canyon Creek mag release is modified internally and therefore legal, IMO.

Gary

·
Registered
688 Posts
ampleworks said:
I'm too lazy to get the rulebook out now but I will state that the Bar-Sto release is illegal because its too long.
Hi Jeff, Please list the specs on what is too long. It's not in my book.

I know I discussed this with MrOverlay in Indiana but according to the RO forum rulings:

***US Appendix D9 Production Division 21.5 "External modifications other than sights not allowed." This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun. Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria. The following original manufacturer parts may be exchanged: Extended mag release, extended slide stop and external safeties including ambidextrous, provided they stay within the intent of the division. No added weights, no mag well attachments, no thumb rest or external devices used to help reduce recoil and/or muzzle flip may be exchanged.***

I do have a Bar-Sto Ext Release and the way I read the ruling is that SA uses the Bar-Sto Ext Mag Release in their custom shop. It is available if you send in your XD or order an XD already customized for Production. That makes it an original manufacturer part and in my humble opinion OK.

I hope my RO instructor doesn't revoke my RO card. HA-HA

Hi Gary

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well let me say up front that I am talking out my butt here as I don't have to make these decisions officially, thank goodness :)

The difference I see is when you buy a G-34/35 gun the extended mag release is there on the gun when you pay for it. You don't have to send it back to the factory or special order it to get it. NROI has therefore ruled, and I believe correctly, that if it is factory produced on one gun you can retro fit it to another model. If your Bar-Sto mag release was just re-cut on the inside to move it out, and no additional material was added to it, and it didn't also have a button attached to it, it would be fine, IMO.

I really don't know what NROI wil say if asked about the issue of sending it in to the custom shop for installation.

You can keep your card. I like harassing you too much 8)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Well I guess I will hold out buying an extended mag release until I know for sure...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hey Bob, measure how far from the frame the release is (flat part where the magazine release protrudes). If I remember correctly, it extends past the grip, correct? If you don't have a caliper, let me know if you'll be in Circleville on the 5th, I'll bring mine! :)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
This is a tuff one. Initially I was inclined to say yup it is offered by the Custom Shop so its cool beans man. However, if one dissects the NROI Ruling, I have to reconsider:

This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun.
The only XD model the extended mag release is offered on is the XD Custom Pro from the Custom Shop, which is not an approved model.

…providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria
The extended mag release offered by the custom shop is a Bar-Sto mag release therefore does not meet this criterion. I checked the custom shop page and the Bar-Sto release is listed as a service under “Frame Modifications”.

or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria
No current “Approved” model of the XD on the Production list has an extended mag release.

I had already eliminated it from the IDPA bag since the factory mag release is right at the .2" limit from the frame.
So, I recken I either remove it from consideration and have a $20 spare part, or make one of my XDs a L10 gun now. Oh what the heck, might as well add a Bar-Sto mag well and mags extensions and have fun! :) :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
R Dub said:
This is a tuff one. Initially I was inclined to say yup it is offered by the Custom Shop so its cool beans man. However, if one dissects the NROI Ruling, I have to reconsider:

This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun.
The only XD model the extended mag release is offered on is the XD Custom Pro from the Custom Shop, which is not an approved model.

…providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria
The extended mag release offered by the custom shop is a Bar-Sto mag release therefore does not meet this criterion. I checked the custom shop page and the Bar-Sto release is listed as a service under “Frame Modifications”.

or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria
No current “Approved” model of the XD on the Production list has an extended mag release.
Very Good points Bob but....................

I can order an approved model from Springfield and have the Custom Shop do the 'XD Tacticle Package' prior to delivery and it would be OK. After all that package includes the same magic that Rich will do on your XD.

Even though it is a Bar-Sto part it is still used by Springfield. I would guess not every part of your XD is truely made by Springfield. I bet a vendor supplies the Mag base pads and there maybe others. Even the 'Canyon Creek' I don't think is just a modified stock mag release since it is actually 10% longer on BOTH sides. Not just installed to one side for easier activation. True it is listed under "Frame Modifications" but we have already established that Ext Mag Releases are OK in some cases and aren't they all part of the frame ?

And I guess one of the other reasons I thought it was OK is if Rich who is a Production GM uses an Ext Mag Release on His XD I thought I could.

So in conclusion. Who the HELL knows???????????????????

I have always known just enough to stay out of trouble, until now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Here is a pic of the Bar-Sto Ext Mag Release. No Button. Hey - Hey !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do you agree that if I call up SA, tell them I want a fully tricked out XD, magwell, bar-sto mag release, weighted slide, stippled grip, etc etc then it should be allowed in Production since it "came from the factory configured as such"?

Anyways

Stock release:
Overall Length: 1.140"
Diameter: 0.274"

Release from Rich @ Canyon-Creek (modified stock)
Overall Length: 1.141"
Diameter: 0.269"

(I assume the difference is either tolerances from my caliper or SA's lack thereof)

Information needed:
Bar-Sto measurements
"Big Button" release measurements

1 - 20 of 21 Posts