Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The extra weight of the comp generally makes it a little more effective. With a thread protector, it also gives you the option of removing the comp and carrying it if you have to. You also don't have to machine the slide so you can convert it back if you ever decide to drop the original barrel in and sell it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If this is a race gun then your compensation solutions make some sense. If this gun is for "social" purposes they do not. Consider what it will be like if you have to touch one off with the pistol held close to the body. It will not be a pleasant experience for you, and you had better hope it ends the fight in the other person, because your ability to fight on may be impaired by the blast to your face.

CX

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, I didn't ask about a softer shooting weapon, now did I?

The question I pose is: Ported barrel or compensator?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go ported, it looks cooler when firing.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If this is a race gun then your compensation solutions make some sense. If this gun is for "social" purposes they do not. Consider what it will be like if you have to touch one off with the pistol held close to the body. It will not be a pleasant experience for you, and you had better hope it ends the fight in the other person, because your ability to fight on may be impaired by the blast to your face.

CX
This^^^ . Also couldn't the flash in a low light SD situation cause some visual problems. Just a thought.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't ask whether or not porting is a good idea in a HD gun...I asked opinions on ported barrel vs compensator.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Question is mostly useless and unanswerable until you manage to define at a minimum: the reason for wanting or not wanting the modification (or replacement), your circumstances of intended use, and what you expect as an end result. Probably caliber and model of firearm may be informative to anyone attempting an answer. How much you can or want to spend. Any special ancillary requirements. Permanent or temporary? (in framed context of the preceding questions)

Or do you just enjoy 20 questions games so you can say wrong after someone tries to assist you with a response?

Sort of like asking "Yes or No" without any defining parameters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question is mostly useless and unanswerable until you manage to define at a minimum: the reason for wanting or not wanting the modification (or replacement), your circumstances of intended use, and what you expect as an end result. Probably caliber and model of firearm may be informative to anyone attempting an answer. How much you can or want to spend. Any special ancillary requirements. Permanent or temporary? (in framed context of the preceding questions)

Or do you just enjoy 20 questions games so you can say wrong after someone tries to assist you with a response?

Sort of like asking "Yes or No" without any defining parameters.
I don't enjoy asking a question about ported barrels vs compensators and having everyone tell me that I don't want a comp. So I simplified it to ported barrel vs comp, since reading comprehension seems a bit lacking here.

Or do you enjoy firing off questions to show how much time you're spent reading gun forums?

================

This thread turned to feces fast. All I asked was opinions on a ported barrel vs compensator for my xd45, and I get parroted spew about ports being bad for HD.

Sort of like the illiterates that work at the car parts houses.

"Hi, I'd like to order a solid cam, a Comp Cams 290-degree solid, and the lifter kit."
" You wanna run a solid? You know you'll have to set valve lash."
"Yes, I know, can I order it?"
"You running on the street?"
"Yes."
"Why you run a solid cam on the street? You need a hydraulic cam for the street."
*I consider a lecture on the merits of solid cam design vs hydraulic in regards to lifter ramp angle, opening/closing velocities,rpm limits,etc, and decide it would be a waste of time*
"Can I order the goddam cam or not?"

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Thing is seeing a aftermarket comp/ported barrel just screams competition..... or mall ninja, not the first thing I would want for a HD. Some just perfer the KISS method for a gun that they trust their life to.

So I say.... ask your question at Brian enos forum also since they are more oriented to competition and can answer you question about the advantages and disadvantages of ported vs comp.

As for me a comp seems more fesiable as I understand the hotter load you shoot through it the better use it makes of the comp. Also it depends on how much venting you have, softer loads require less hotter would need more. I'm no expert, but the guys at Brian enos will help, best advice .

It's not the lacking of reading, it's the fact that you stated that's it's use is for HD and for some that would be a no-no. If you ever shoot someone with you comp/port pray that the lawyer does not use it in a way that makes you look like a killer.

This thread turned to feces fast. All I asked was opinions on a ported barrel vs compensator for my xd45, and I get parroted spew about ports being bad for HD.

Sort of like the illiterates that work at the car parts houses.

"Hi, I'd like to order a solid cam, a Comp Cams 290-degree solid, and the lifter kit."
" You wanna run a solid? You know you'll have to set valve lash."
"Yes, I know, can I order it?"
"You running on the street?"
"Yes."
"Why you run a solid cam on the street? You need a hydraulic cam for the street."
*I consider a lecture on the merits of solid cam design vs hydraulic in regards to lifter ramp angle, opening/closing velocities,rpm limits,etc, and decide it would be a waste of time*
"Can I order the goddam cam or not?"
Also thats a piss poor comparison unless you plan on using your car for HD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thing is seeing a aftermarket comp/ported barrel just screams competition..... or mall ninja, not the first thing I would want for a HD. Some just perfer the KISS method for a gun that they trust their life to.

So I say.... ask your question at Brian enos forum also since they are more oriented to competition and can answer you question about the advantages and disadvantages of ported vs comp.

As for me a comp seems more fesiable as I understand the hotter load you shoot through it the better use it makes of the comp. Also it depends on how much venting you have, softer loads require less hotter would need more. I'm no expert, but the guys at Brian enos will help, best advice .

It's not the lacking of reading, it's the fact that you stated that's it's use is for HD and for some that would be a no-no. If you ever shoot someone with you comp/port pray that the lawyer does not use it in a way that makes you look like a killer.

Also thats a piss poor comparison unless you plan on using your car for HD
LMAO

You are right though- I asked teh question on the wrong forum. The big Springfield banner at the top led me to believe discussion of this make of handgun was welcome here.....

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
But yes seriously consider checking out Brian enos, not alot of guys here have as much experience with comp/ported barrels as you do. Yes I was being serious dude....not joking about the lawyer stuff either, go to HEB pick up combat handgun (aug 2011 ed) and read the self defense section.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But yes seriously consider checking out Brian enos, not alot of guys here have as much experience with comp/ported barrels as you do. Yes I was being serious dude....not joking about the lawyer stuff either, go to HEB pick up combat handgun (aug 2011 ed) and read the self defense section.
The lawyers and prosecutors here don't care about ported barrels and such. Jeff County, Texas, SD shootings get no-billed all the time. This isn't NJ or Cally. :D

You all have been a big help.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The lawyers and prosecutors here don't care about ported barrels and such. Jeff County, Texas, SD shootings get no-billed all the time. This isn't NJ or Cally. :D

You all have been a big help.
Doesn't hurt.....or you can get a XD40 V10

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Instead of being a tool and not giving a reason to the question and then getting pissed at people for giving you opinions, how about you just tell us why you are asking the question or for what use it will serve. Is it a HD gun? Is it a Comp gun? Is it just going to be a gun you shot for nothing more than for fun and then sits in a safe until the next range trip? Seriously, don't come in here asking a VERY VAGUE question and expect to get information about something other than what you are truly looking for. Its insulting of you to just ask that question and continue to post, the question after someone took the time to try and help you out. Its a waste of everyones time trying to help and a waste of your time. If you are only going looking for an answer for either or, then get a comp. There, there is your answer. How about that? You're welcome, I answered your question just as vaguely as you asked it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
^^^^ well before he edited his posts, he said it was for HD so that's why some people are saying no for it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
^^^^ well before he edited his posts, he said it was for HD so that's why some people are saying no for it.
Ok, even more reason for him to not be so [email protected] insulting to the people of this forum for trying to help him out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.