Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be overlooking an existing thread of this nature (if so feel free to delete), but I haven't come across anything comparing all of the different coating options available for XD's taking both the polymer and metal into consideration. For example, an excel sheet that compares each coating based on important variables (determined by people that have experience with these mediums) would be great. This could include avg. price, coating thickness, durability, visibility etc (we'll let the pros determine these)... I've seen options such as duracoat, cerakote, nickle, and hard chrome. I know there are others and it would be cool to gather info on those as well. A grading system might even be applicable here. Any thoughts or info on the subject are welcome here and appreciated. The thought is to create a thread worthy of sticky status if one doesn't already exist. Thanks.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Are you trying to find out which coating is the best ? :confused:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
There are some beretta 92's I've been eyeballin. If I was to getone I may send it for an ionbond. Or ceracote. Thinking a dark "sniper grey" frame and black slide. Both seem pretty good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you trying to find out which coating is the best ? :confused:
In a sense yeah, but I know that the options are subjective to what people are using their weapon for. For example, some people will be more or less likely to apply something based on how difficult the application process is, or price, or durability etc... Having a quick chart of some type would save everyone a lot of time in comparing whats available.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are some beretta 92's I've been eyeballin. If I was to getone I may send it for an ionbond. Or ceracote. Thinking a dark "sniper grey" frame and black slide. Both seem pretty good.
From what I've been seein, I agree... Molly resin seems to be another decent option as well.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
In a sense yeah, but I know that the options are subjective to what people are using their weapon for. For example, some people will be more or less likely to apply something based on how difficult the application process is, or price, or durability etc... Having a quick chart of some type would save everyone a lot of time in comparing whats available.
I think it's really gonna depend on what someone is after in a finish ... Some will hold up much better than others, but those finishes won't be what everyone wants.

Is there a particular finish you actually want to know about ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's really gonna depend on what someone is after in a finish ... Some will hold up much better than others, but those finishes won't be what everyone wants.

Is there a particular finish you actually want to know about ?
All of them. That's my point, a place to compare so I can make a decision based on my preferences. Other folks might have diff. needs as well, but they would be able to use the same resource to make a decision based on their needs... It could even be 2 separate projects, one for the polymer parts and one for the metal (esp the slide).

Separate from that though AZXD, it would be nice to get a quick answer on the most durable method of coloring the polymer. I've checked out duracoat's flat grey and liked how it looked. If there's something that will last longer I'd like to know though... Thanks

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The main variable will be the prep. You do a bad job or only some steps in the prep and the finish no matter how good it is will be crap.

Something as simple as shaking the can of coating material to mix the pigment, carrier, hardener etc. When they tell you to shake the can to mix it shake it for the full time recommended its an easy step to skip or cheat on.

Duracoat on a frame is very durable if done right. The epoxy hardener will chemically fuse into the plastic. But so will other finishes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main variable will be the prep. You do a bad job or only some steps in the prep and the finish no matter how good it is will be crap.

Something as simple as shaking the can of coating material to mix the pigment, carrier, hardener etc. When they tell you to shake the can to mix it shake it for the full time recommended its an easy step to skip or cheat on.

Duracoat on a frame is very durable if done right. The epoxy hardener will chemically fuse into the plastic. But so will other finishes.
Thanks for the info ajamesp51. What are the other finishes you're talking about?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Read somewhere from a gunsmith about cerakote vs. moly resin (google search) and he said they both held up the same on their shop machine guns but cerakote is harder to apply and is usually more expensive because of this. Good idea for a consolidated list!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts