Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a SA 1911 Loaded and am a big fan but decided it was time to get something in a smaller caliber - mostly because I can't afford to shoot 45 ACP as much as I'd like. After doing some research, I was sold on the HK P30 but went to the range to try a few guns out.

Sig 229 - everything about this gun was really nice. Felt solid but my grouping was all over the place.

P30 - also felt like a solid gun except when I pulled the trigger my finger rubbed against the trigger guard. after a few rounds it was just too uncomfortable.

SW M&P - just didn't feel that well made but to be fair it was a rental show who knows what kind of shape its in. my biggest complaint was the front sight being small and with no white dot made it was difficult to aim.

XDm9 - WOW. Not only did it feel great but I was able to shoot a nice 4" group with the first mag. As a novice, I don't usually shoot that consistently.

I'm sure with practice, I could get accurate on any gun but the XDm9 was hands down the winner. I may get the sig some day if I run into some cash and want to expand the collection.

So I immediately started pricing out the 4.5" 9mm and am confused on why there is such variation in price. The gun shop had one for $680. At gunbroker.com I have seen them listed factory new from $500 to $650. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just buy the gun at the best price.

Have you concidered buying a 1911 in 9MM?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
...So I immediately started pricing out the 4.5" 9mm and am confused on why there is such variation in price. The gun shop had one for $680. At gunbroker.com I have seen them listed factory new from $500 to $650. Am I missing something?
No. Many gun shops have a lot of overhead and low volume sales. They have to charge more than online venues. They can get away with having higher prices because some people like to buy in a store where they can ask questions and physically inspect the guns before buying. If the law permits, they can buy the gun on the spot and go home with it right away. So, people are willing to pay more for that. Also, you have newbies who pay more at a gun shop because they don't know where to look for better prices.

If you know what you want, and don't mind waiting to get it, then shopping online is probably going to be your best bet. Because the online source is going to have to ship the gun to a dealer with an FFL permit, you will have to make arrangements with your local gun shop to accept the shipment and process the paperwork. They will charge you for that, but the cost adder is often nowhere near what you will pay if you bought in a gun shop and paid sales tax on it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Why not just start reloading. .45acp with that big mouth and low pressures is a easy starting point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
not sure how all the states are, but we've got a ten dollar ffl fee here, and usually the online shipping charge is about $30-$40, putting your cost up nearly fifty dollars on top of whats listed. If the price is right, that's tough to beat, but if it's close, it's a good thing to support your local gun stores. I'd hate to see them go...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts