Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am avowed Glock fan and the locals call me the Glock Guy for all the work I do on triggers and frames. I work on other pistols/revolvers and some long guns. One of my friends just returned from Iraq and he had his XD service with him as his carry gun. This is the first time I really truly went over the XD other than having grabbed one here and there at gunshops. I love that XD grip geometry and I love the XD (M)'s grip even more, but it doesn't come in Service (4") size so am not interested. The XD grip needs just a little minor tweaking in my mind to make it great. I have done some radical things to Glock grips to make them good and my thoughts on the XD grip tweaking are minor.

My questions:
1. What parts break on an XD?
2. How is the availability and price on spare parts?
3. What would a spare parts kit consist of and at what price?
4. How "fiddly" are the XD internals. I can completely dis and reassemble a Glock pretty fast. Can an XD be completely disassembled quickly without special tools?
5. Can the XD triggers be improved by smart stoning - without having to buy aftermarket parts?
6. Although I like the XD grip I am not crazy about the comparatively high bore axis. For XD guys who also have or shoot Glocks (a lot), what are your thoughts on this?

I see Raven Holsters makes the Ghost for XD's so I know where to get a great holster.

Just for the fun of it I am going to look around for a used XD Service 9mm to trade for my spare G19 or trade the 19 on a new XD.

Craig in Clarksville, TN

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk Craig!

1 - There aren't any common failures really. There have been some reports of striker retainer pins breaking, but that is still pretty rare and only really occurs with excessive dry firing on an empty chamber. (In general, dry firing the XD is just fine. If you are worried, just use a snap cap.) Way back in the day there were some small issues due to locking block design, but that has been resolved for some time.

2 - Spare parts availability is good, and getting better all the time. You can buy most parts from some of our forum sponsors including PistolGear and XD Guys.

3 - There is no spare parts "package", but you can easily build your own.

4 - The XD is very easy to break down. I do mine with just punches, and no other tools at all.

5 - Most of us aren't gunsmiths, so when we do our trigger jobs it is via aftermarket parts. If you know what you are doing, then sure you can stone and polish the internals, but quality trigger parts (from Springer Precision, or Powder River Precision for example) would be a much better route in my opinion.

6 - I like the XD grip much better than the Glock, mainly due to the angle. I don't feel that the XD bore axis is particularly high at all. Have you shot one yet?

·
Registered
512 Posts
About 10 days ago I was exactly where you are. I was a certified Glockaholic, but I had a G32C with a .40 barrel in it that I had been looking to trade for a G19 as I wanted to go back to 9mm for my carry gun (not trying to start a caliber war, I just shoot the 9mm better). I could completely strip a Glock, knew it inside and out, had swapped lots of parts and had a nice little parts stash. I was happy. Then a buddy of mine offered to trade me a LNIB XD9 Service for my 32C sans the .40 barrel.

I went to his house and looked at the XD, and as soon as I felt it I was in love. It fit my hand perfectly. The slide was the exact same length as the Glock, but the grip was a little longer. The more I sat there and played with it, felt the trigger, we broke it down and looked at the similarities (he's a Glock armorer and HE was telling me how great the XD is) I was sold and made the trade.

Within 4 days all of my other Glocks (G26, G17, G35) were gone and I had an XD9 Tactical and a brand new XD9sc. I'm a convert and I'm very happy :)

As to your questions, we'll have to wait for someone with more expertese on the XD than me, but here's my answers:
1. I don't know
2. From what I've seen, more limited and higher; however keep in mind the Glock has been around forever whereas the XD has not.
3. Didn't have one for my Glocks, doubt I will for this.
4. It's not as simple as the Glock but based on a website I found doesn't look that difficult.
5. Not sure...I've read of others on here doing triggers so I don't know. I like the XD trigger as is, it works better for me.
6. With a proper grip I don't notice it at all.

For a great holster (if you're looking for a carry holster) check out Gun-works/Tennessee Holsters...they are a board sponsor and their stuff is great (I've got one on right now and I love it).

Welcome to XDtalk and let us know how things turn out :D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I am avowed Glock fan and the locals call me the Glock Guy for all the work I do on triggers and frames. I work on other pistols/revolvers and some long guns. One of my friends just returned from Iraq and he had his XD service with him as his carry gun. This is the first time I really truly went over the XD other than having grabbed one here and there at gunshops. I love that XD grip geometry and I love the XD (M)'s grip even more, but it doesn't come in Service (4") size so am not interested. The XD grip needs just a little minor tweaking in my mind to make it great. I have done some radical things to Glock grips to make them good and my thoughts on the XD grip tweaking are minor.

My questions:
1. What parts break on an XD?

There are no parts that commonly break. Competitive shooter usually carry extra Striker retaining pins and spare return springs just to be safe.

2. How is the availability and price on spare parts?

Most parts are readily available from either Springfield or after market suppliers like Springer, Canyon Creek, and Powder River. Springfield has a policy of not selling items that will effect safety or reliability to the public but they will replace those parts free of charge. The only parts that are not available are the trigger assemblies, slides and frames.

3. What would a spare parts kit consist of and at what price?

Because nothing consistently fails there is no such thing as a spare parts kit. You can set up you own but unless you shoot thousands of rounds a week or reload and want to change springs, there is nothing you need.

4. How "fiddly" are the XD internals. I can completely dis and reassemble a Glock pretty fast. Can an XD be completely disassembled quickly without special tools?

I have worked on both XDs and Glocks and neither are difficult to work on, the XD parts are a little more robust.

5. Can the XD triggers be improved by smart stoning - without having to buy aftermarket parts?

The trigger is one of the best kept secrets around. Out of the box the XD trigger has a long pre-travel and reset but is still better than a stock Glock trigger. After 500 rounds the XD really starts to smooth out and with a little polishing you can speed things up. However you can get an absolutely awesome trigger by either changing the sear and trigger bar (Springer Precision) or changing the Safety Lever and adding an over travel stop (Powder River). Both will bring the pre-travel and reset to nearly nothing. You can play with the springs and get the trigger pull to about 3lbs. give or take.

6. Although I like the XD grip I am not crazy about the comparatively high bore axis. For XD guys who also have or shoot Glocks (a lot), what are your thoughts on this?

For me I didn't find the bore axis as much of an issue as the grip angle difference. I traded my last Glock (G35) on an XD(M) 40 and I don't miss it at all.

I see Raven Holsters makes the Ghost for XD's so I know where to get a great holster.

Just for the fun of it I am going to look around for a used XD Service 9mm to trade for my spare G19 or trade the 19 on a new XD.

Craig in Clarksville, TN
Both the XD9 and the XD(M) are great guns but you may find it hard to find a used XD9, I see a lot more used Glock than I do XDs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Both the XD9 and the XD(M) are great guns but you may find it hard to find a used XD9, I see a lot more used Glock than I do XDs.
+1 on that. Check any website and you'll see 25 used Glocks for every used XD you see. I know Glocks are more common, but used XD's are tough to find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts