Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...this is my first post. I tried to see if there was an open thread on this, but didn't see one. I haven't bought an XD yet, but I have shot them, including an XD(M). The problem I'm running into is that the grip on the Compact Service Model is perfect for my hand, but I wish SA offered a shorter barrel like a 3.3 inch.

I love the 3.3 inch for concealment, but the frame is too short and my pinky finger hangs off. Now I know that you can get a magazine with an extension, but I really don't want to go this route if I have to do a tactical re-load, as I can see myself slamming the pinky and damaging my gun hand - if I'm in a situation requiring more than one magazine. I'm curious if anyone else has faced this and what you've done, or can suggest?

I would be training with the pistol, which is why I'm concerned about rapid re-loads and possibly stitches.

What are my options and why doesn't SA offer this frame with a shorter slide...just curious?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at the XDM 3.8 with full size mags.
I do like the XDM 3.8, since it has the slightly shorter slide. This is probably going to be as close to what I really want. I just wish the 3.8 was offered with the slightly shorter Compact Service Model frame. Not too long, but not too short. Will probably end up settling for the XDM 3.8 in .40 cal.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
Should you go with the 3.8 consider the compact model. You basically get 2 guns for the price of 1. While I have both a 3.8 full size and compact model in different calibers I wish I had bought all compacts for the versatility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to go .45, the new MOD.2 looks promising in a 3.3" barrel...
XD MOD.2 3.3 Sub-Compact Model .45ACP Springfield Armory

Not sure how it would fit your hand, but the XD9SC I have is very similar, and my pinky fits just right with the way the magazine fits.

I definitely prefer the .45...went down to hold a .40 the store had, but it had the same grip height as the XDM Compact. Wish I could get SA to tailor fit one to my hand. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi all...this is my first post. I tried to see if there was an open thread on this, but didn't see one. I haven't bought an XD yet, but I have shot them, including an XD(M). The problem I'm running into is that the grip on the Compact Service Model is perfect for my hand, but I wish SA offered a shorter barrel like a 3.3 inch.

What are my options and why doesn't SA offer this frame with a shorter slide...just curious?
In the XD series the design of the various slide parts is such that you can't mix and match between the Service and Subcompact sizes. The closest you can get to what you want is subcompact with extended magazine.

I do not know if this is the case with the XDM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the XD series the design of the various slide parts is such that you can't mix and match between the Service and Subcompact sizes. The closest you can get to what you want is subcompact with extended magazine.

I do not know if this is the case with the XDM.
I really wish SA would offer the short barrel with Compact Service Model frame, but I don't see them ever doing it. The subcompact is just too short and I wouldn't trust doing a tactical reload in an emergency. Right now I'm just holding off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts