Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum as well... reposting here to get more opinions...

Okay, I am looking to buy a compact for carry soon...

I really want to keep it under $400... but will go higher if needed.

I have been looking at Taurus Mil Pro or 24/7 Pro but see lots of conflicting reports about their reliabilty...

I also saw a lightly used CZ Rami .40 at my local shop today for only $370 and it came with 3 mags... That sounds like a steal to me but i've also seen people say the .40 version of the Rami is not reliable...

I've also looked at the Kahr CW series and am undecided on those as well...

Looking for any advice you guys might have on those 3 guns or maybe there is a gem out there I am overlooking!

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would spend the little extra and go with an XD, Glock or M&P. I know for a fact you can get a NIB XD in the $450 range. Ask how I know:wink:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This is something that I have been interested in also. Especially the Kahr CW series. Initially I was looking for an xd9 sc but every gunshop in my local area is completely out. And in any case I feel that the glock/xd/m&p is a different class because it is a double stack vs. the Kahr which is a VERY slim single stack.

·
Registered
855 Posts
This is something that I have been interested in also. Especially the Kahr CW series. Initially I was looking for an xd9 sc but every gunshop in my local area is completely out. And in any case I feel that the glock/xd/m&p is a different class because it is a double stack vs. the Kahr which is a VERY slim single stack.
I've checked out the Kahr CW9 a couple times now, including today. I like it and I've heard great things about it, at least after a break-in period of 200 rounds. New, it's kind of stiff, but that could be my carry gun when I'm ready to buy one.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I would spend the little extra and go with an XD, Glock or M&P. I know for a fact you can get a NIB XD in the $450 range. Ask how I know:wink:
+1
why put a price on your life?

and genesis... how do you know?

·
Registered
203 Posts
+1
why put a price on your life?

and genesis... how do you know?

I know because I have one listed in classifieds.
I love XD's and I've been buying them impulsively. I need to stop before my wife sees the inside of the safe.
the nice thing about it is, they all look the "same" so they come and go with less problem than if I were to buy any other gun.
All of mine have been 100% from day one, except when I've forced a failure on my 45's (limp wristing) with HST.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Taurus 24/7 is crap, I owned one for about a day.

CZ makes great products, but there are reliability issues with the RAMI. You can search the CZ forums for more info, but I wouldn't buy one. I do own two other CZ's and love them, just not a RAMI.

I own 3 Kahr's, carry one while off-duty and as a backup,,, also bought my mother one. Their CW9 is a perfect CCW piece. Light as a feather, under 400 bucks, a tack driver, holsters available, and the best DAO trigger in the market bar none! Nuff said :mrgreen:

Yes, this is an XD forum and I wouldn't sell mine for anything. But it is heavy and thicker/bulky compared to a single stack anything, let alone a Kahr.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a Kahr CW9 for carry when clothes don't allow for the XD45. The Kahr CW9 is very acurate and I love it. I've put about 600 rounds through it. I've not have any problems with it even in the 200 round break in period.
The pros are:
small, compact
accurate
feels good
like the stainless for carrying

The cons are:
recoil is snappier that most 9mm
magazines run around $40 (you can find them at cheaper than dirt and Bud's for around $28)
the slide should be locked back when inserting a magazine and then use slide release to chamber a round. if you try to chamber a round by inserting the magazine and then racking the slide, sometimes it will jam. (book explains this) not a big deal since I always carry with a round chambered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Myk9noseknows I read on the CZ Forums about the Rami and 99% of the posts are old like from 2007 or even older... Anyone know if CZ has worked out those issues? I really like the Rami and my dealer has a very lightly used one at a hell of a price! ($369 with 2 reg mags and 1 extended mag)

Ive also been looking at the Walther PPS or Beretta PX4 SC if I decide to spend some more money...

JUST for the record I will in no way consider a Glock. I have nothing against them as far as reliability and craftsmanship go they are superb weapons... I just personally do not like them.

And I already own a XD9 Service model and love it, but I like to branch out and vary my purchases (variety is the spice of life) and for that same reason I am not real interested in a S&W M&P since i think the 2 are very closely related.

THanks for all the replies! And keep the opinions coming

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sold my XD 45 cal to purchase the Kahr CW9. I don't regret the decision because I needed a ccw. Loved the XD, love the Kahr more - great trigger and although light weight - very easy to control.
I hope to have an XDm in my future.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I have the PM9....even smaller than the CW9, but still a 9mm rather than a .380. I really do like the PM9....very lite, very thin, and for a small weapon, accurate. The price is a little higher than you wanted to go, but I found it was worth it. I just like have the small size to carry, especially during the summer months.

Normal carry holster is a Desantis Superfly pocket holster, but am still looking for a nice, small paddle holster.

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
69 Posts
I switched from an XD40sc to a Kahr K9 for concealed carry, and I'm happy. The slim single stack is very easy to conceal, and it shoots anything I feed it....

Walker

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I owned a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 caliber and fired 14,000 rounds through it without a single hiccup of any type! I traded it for another firearm and the guy I sold it too says it still has never missed a beat...

There are nothing wrong with the Taurus Auto-Loaders, however, I do know of several people having problems with their revolvers.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
I owned a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 caliber and fired 14,000 rounds through it without a single hiccup of any type! I traded it for another firearm and the guy I sold it too says it still has never missed a beat...

There are nothing wrong with the Taurus Auto-Loaders, however, I do know of several people having problems with their revolvers.
Strange, every auto loading Taurus I've had has been crap, but never had an issue w/ their revolvers. Most Taurus issues I've seen/heard of have been with their polymer pistols, they're just crap. Seems like a company that makes it's living off of copying other gun manufacturer designs should at least make them as reliable as what they are copying.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
CZ s are great and so is the RAMI but I would look for one in 9mm . I have a CZ-83 in .380 and a CZ-75B in 9mm . Both work great . I want a RAMI in 9mm .

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Dad has a Taurus 24/7 pro in .45acp and its been nothing but garbage for him.... many, many FTF and FTE. My little PT111 Millinium in 9mm has never skipped a beat, but the trigger pull is horrendous. Never had a problem with their revolvers. My opinion, is just pay a tad extra and get an XD. Just my 2 cents...

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
CZ s are great and so is the RAMI but I would look for one in 9mm . I have a CZ-83 in .380 and a CZ-75B in 9mm . Both work great . I want a RAMI in 9mm .

About a year or so ago the RAMI was plagued with function problems. You might want to look it up on the CZ boards and see if they were resolved. I know they had mag and FT Feed issues.

Other than that, CZ is GTG, I love my 75B in SS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts