Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a service model XD-9 in a two slot pancake holster. I am about to buy a Comp-Tac TCAC IWB holster. Before I add to the collection of holsters I would like to hear from TCAC holster users. Good and bad news about this holster would help me make up my mind. I wear jeans and slacks with the shirt tucked in two or three days a week.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You'll find nothing but goodness here. I have one but haven't been able to carry my complete pistol in it yet (slide is away receiving some TLC). With the receiver and a full mag inserted, it was very comfortable, stable and kept the grip in tight. Adjustability is awesome, quality is first rate.

Do yourself a favor and order one from www.gunnersalley.com. You be glad for it!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've got one too, for my Sub. It's nice, I like it. Plus the gun "snaps" in rather than just sliding in. Kinda locks it in place.

However, I like my Tucker "The Answer" better. It's also adjustable, but the gun sits lower and hides better. Also, it has a leather pad that keeps the kydex from chafing you. It's just more comfortable! I got the c-tac from gunners alley, and the Tucker from Pistol-Gear. Both great services!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I shoot with several friends on a weekly schedule when weather allows. It is evenly divided between 1911s' and Glocks' here in Tulsa. I have two fellow shooters that now shoot XDs'. So we are making progress. Kidding aside they are all fun to shoot. I like them all. But the XD-9 is a great gun. My CCW goal is to be able to carry this service model every day for every occasion. I need to add a good comfortable IWB to wear without a jacket or pull over to cover the gun. I think the CTAC might be it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I carry my service 95% of the time. The C-Tac in my opinion is great. I have nothing to compare it to, but it's secure, comfortable, and 100% concealable. Even when people look for it they can't see it. Not sure about you body build, I'm packing on few pounds in the waist area, I would think that would help conceal easier. Works great for me!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have two Don Hume holsters. Both from Gunners' Alley. I will checkout Pistol Gear.

-- Richard

·
Registered
449 Posts
Love my c-tacs. I have one for my P99 and one for my XD9 sub. Very comfortable for me. They lock the pistols in place firmly, but can still draw quickly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I didn't have much luck with my c-tac. I think my main problem is that I ordered C clips. It might work better with the standard clips, but I haven't made the effort to find out.

Good luck.

jonas

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I got mine with c-clips as well, and I rather like them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
sjp2452 said:
Apparently my body shape disagrees with them or something. The top of the front clip slides down between me and my belt. :\

jonas

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I Love my c-tac and am planning to get in extra just in case.
I also tried the answer but due to my thin build .The leather sweat shield made it stick out alot more.Plus zero retention.

Ctac for the service fits all modles.Service,sub or even the tac. will hide in it :shock:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
JHA XD40 said:
sjp2452 said:
Apparently my body shape disagrees with them or something. The top of the front clip slides down between me and my belt. :\

jonas
AAAHHH...well, that's an easy one. Just start firin' down twinkies, snickers & pie till that space fills in. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is a great holster. Mucho Adjustable.

·
Registered
603 Posts
JHA XD40 said:
sjp2452 said:

jonas
My c-clips do this sometimes too. Well, it's the one in the rear that does it for me. I seem to be able to avoid it by adjusting slightly where it rides... if I put it on closer to my hip, it doesn't seem to be a problem. What I mean by this is around 8:30 as opposed to 8 / 7:30 (yes I am a lefty).

I've considered ordering the normal clips from Comp-TAC to replace the c-clips with, but even when the clip has slipped, my rig seems to hold pretty steady. Only the top of the C slips off, the bottom stays around my belt. If it becomes more of a problem I won't hesistate to call Comp-TAC about it... they have great customer service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Love mine. Ordered it straight from CompTac. Just like many holsters, choose if you want the slide version that sill hold 3,4,5" or the regular holster that is size specific.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the feed back and other holster ideas. Plus I will always try to get the letters in the correct order. Lefty you know. C-TAC. By the way I order holsters from Gunnersalley and think they are a great place to buy gear for guns. I have looked at the C-TAC slide and it seems to be right hand only. While the covered holster is both left and right for the XD.

-- Richard

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
RKirk said:
Thanks again for the feed back and other holster ideas. Plus I will always try to get the letters in the correct order. Lefty you know. C-TAC. By the way I order holsters from Gunnersalley and think they are a great place to buy gear for guns. I have looked at the C-TAC slide and it seems to be right hand only. While the covered holster is both left and right for the XD.

-- Richard
If you buy factory direct you can chose the left hand model. They are good people..
www.comp-tac.com

·
Registered
242 Posts
I love my CTAC. The C-clips don't work so great for me. I've seen pictures where a guy heated them up in hot water and reshaped them so they are in fact C shaped. From the factory they are like a C with the top curl 50% cut off - not quite a J clip but not really a C clip either.

The regular clips are fantastic for my normal use. It is very easy to put the holster on or take it off. But the clips are visible, so if you need moderate stealth I would bend the C clips, and for deep cover I'd get the V clips. FWIW, I regularly tuck the shirt in with my regular clips showing, and with a black Wilderness belt they really aren't noticable unless you look. With an untucked shirt or other cover garment I would recommend the standard clip.

One great feature is that the depth and cant of the holster can be adjusted to fit your preferences.

As my budget allows, I'll be getting a CTAC for each of my pistols.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just ordered one with the V-clips. Have been using my modified Uncle Mikes, that I made tuckable, when I am away from PRMD and can carry. It has been working OK, and the C-TAC can only be an improvement.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fly-Sig said:
I love my CTAC. The C-clips don't work so great for me. I've seen pictures where a guy heated them up in hot water and reshaped them so they are in fact C shaped. From the factory they are like a C with the top curl 50% cut off - not quite a J clip but not really a C clip either.
I just emailed CTAC with a link to this thread and asking if they would possibly be able to produce a clip exactly as you have described. This suggested clip would fit between the "standard clip" and the "c-clip" in their current line of clips. (providing more stability with only a minor compromise in stealthliness)

I will report back with whatever response I receive.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts