Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple recent threads got me to thinking .... I know, that's dangerous and I should let the gubmint do my thinkin' fer me. Nonetheless, it occured to me that I've seen a lot of shooters at the range and followed a lot of discussions on forums that demonstrate any number of training mistakes and omissions - if one is training to shoot to defend one's self or one's family and friends.

Here are a few of the more common mistakes that I've seen:

1. Static Shooting - standing in one place and shooting at an immobile target.

2. Bullseye Target Shooting - shooting at bullseye targets rathern than photo-realistic targets with anatomy diagrams.

3. Shooting from an Upright Stance - when the lead starts flying, you'll want to make yourself as small and mobile as possible.

4. Not Shooting from Behind Cover - What's one of the first things you need to do in a gunfight? Get behind cover, that's what!

5. Shooting from "Long" Distances - self-defense is up-close and personal.

6. Not Practicing Weapon Retention - 'nuff said.

7. Not Practicing Hand-to-Hand Methods for Disabled Weapons - 'nuff said.

8. Not Practicing Fix Drills - 'nuff said.

9. Not Practicing Magazine Changes - 'nuff said.

10. Not Practicing Under Stress - on the "two-way range", being cool under fire is the best way to stay alive.

Add your own.

·
Registered
827 Posts
All good points, that is why one needs to practice practice practice....

Until one gets proficient enough to do these other things you have listed, first one must keep practicing at the static targets.

Not everyone has the chance to shoot out in the woods or in the open. Some ranges frown upon fast fire, or any kind of defensive fire.

Also, you forgot the ultimate of clearing a room, or clearing your own home. This must be done with an UNLOADED weapon. Again, practice practice practice...

Yet another one. Bump in the night. during a "planned"(empty weapon) dark night, lay in bed, have wife or partner startle you awake, tell you there is something or someone downstairs (if you have a second story that is) and see how you handle things. weapon, light, glasses, phone, etc... Again, Practice practice practice...

Stress fire. out in woods, have planned area to shoot next to someone in safe direction. as they are shooting, you shoot your weapon, yell in their ears, scream at them, and make as much noise as possible to distract the other person shooting. Load snap caps in his/her weapon for him/her, to teach him to how to clear weapon under a stressful situation.

So for those that can't practice these stress fire drills or a defensive fire drill, they must stick to the static targets.

I have a Great partner, my Wife. We practice a lot. I have taught my children at a young age how to deal with stress fire.
But I am fortunate enough to have an outdoor range in the woods, not to bother anyone else, or to endanger anyone else.

Others have to stick with the static targets, no way around it.

The mistake people make as you mention, are not mistakes, they are unfortunate circumstances that one can not or does not have the opportunity to train adequately.

They must first seek proper training. Some folks don't know how to stand properly, or breath properly, or grip, etc... they must first learn the basic's.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not practicing the draw stroke at all, let alone from concealment. Many shooters leave thier guns laying on the table, counter when reloading mags, then just cycle a round and go.

The problem with practicing realistically for self defense is that ranges have very strict rules that almost forbid it. I got pissed awhile back when my local range wouldn't let me draw from my ankle holster, but do respect that the rules are for everyone's safety. If you were to jump into my stall while still firing at your target ( simulating getting into cover) I could see an issue. Therefore, I dry fire practice alot of these things at home, and become one of the static shooters at the range.:cry:

·
Registered
263 Posts
All of those are very good points. The only problem is a lot of ranges, public and private, frown on many of those things. A good way to get around that would be do join a league such as IDPA. I plan on checking out a match on Saturday with the intention of shooting my first match next month.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand there are restrictions but the information in this thread is intended to help those who have the ability to practice some or all of these things.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Myself, planned house clearing is looking for trouble. What if you leave the gun unloaded for that night to find out you realllllly need it? House clearing is OK at a facility made for it but there is no need to clear a house unless family is in danger. Lock down and call 911 to clear it is the best course of action.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts