Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a random query...

I have a lot of range ammo, but not a lot of carry ammo. By "a lot", I mean I buy 300-500 rds of the range ammo at a time at Walmart down the way to practice with at the range, and by "not a lot" I mean I have two 25 rd boxes of the Remington Golden Sabre (I keep one mag loaded with the RGS and take that out when I head to the range with the WWB)

Anyway, setup above is probabaly not needed, but are there studies/analysis of the differences between 'range' FMJ cheap ammo and the more expensive HP RGSs? And by differences I mean stopping power, etc., etc.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well, for starters hollow point ammo is going to work better as far as stopping an attacker goes, that's what the bullet was designed to do, the FMJ was never designed to kill, it was meant to wound during war time because it took more men to care for the wounded then it did for the dead.
As far as for shooting at the range, you are there to get to know your gun, and how it works, and to practice hitting your target, and to make sure that your gun works every time it's needed, so shoot all the cheap ammo you want at the range for practice, and enough of the ammo you are going to carry in your gun to make sure that it is reliable, and is hitting to the same point of aim as your practice ammo is.
As far as for how much carry ammo to go through, I like to shoot at the very least 100 rounds, some times more. I know it's alot of money, but aren't you worth it? I was lucky enough to find a place near me that sells self defense ammo like Fedral Hydra-Shocks in 50 round boxes for $18.00 for 40S&W, and $19.00 for 45ACP.
I hope that answers some of your questions.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Well, for starters hollow point ammo is going to work better as far as stopping an attacker goes, that's what the bullet was designed to do, the FMJ was never designed to kill, it was meant to wound during war time because it took more men to care for the wounded then it did for the dead.

where did you get this incorrect information from?

please do not passoff hearsay as fact.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Some WalMarts carry the Remington UMC JHP value packs. Pick up some of those. Good prices and as I recall a post on this forum quite a few months ago, good expansion as well. Remember that shot placement is what counts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts