Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the redundancy, but I'm not convinced I've gotten a full answer on my other post. I posted about failure to extract in two XD-9s, hoping they just weren't broken in. One only had about 125-150 rounds, the other about 35 when the FTEs happened. First using UMC yellow box, second Win. white box.

One response was that FTEs are common in XDs, and that you need to find an ammo it likes. Is this true, or are people just switching ammo during break in, and once broken in, whatever they are using at that time works, and they are thinking it is the different ammo that made it work rather than having shot it enough? Are XD springs heavy in anticipation of people using hotter loads, causing FTEs with mild ammo?

I don't think I could keep a gun if I had to use a particular ammo.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
XD9's don't usually have much for FTE. Limp wrist is a common cause for FTE in 9MM. If your new to shooting a tighter grip on the gun might help. Shoot a few hundred rounds and see if things get better for you. I shoot CCI Blazer and WWB with no problems. You control the gun. Don't let the gun control you. And take a training course.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I should have specified that I've been shooting for over 20 years, currently have XD and Sigs, have shot Glocks, Berettas, S&Ws, Rugers, CZs, many 1911s, etc. Even had an HK P9S once.

I tried limp wristing after the FTEs, and although I only tried a few times, it didn't happen again. I just read someone else's post about an article recommending leaving the slide locked back a few days, anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
If your not going to use the gun for a few days lock the slide back, it ain't gonna hurt nothing. Keep your mags loaded as well. Oh, the guy who told you XD9's have lots of FTE's has no idea what he's talking about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to hear the "no idea what he's talking about". I love the feel of the XD, and it shoots great. I was brainwashed into thinking the finish was an issue, so I got rid of my first one and bought one with a stainless slide.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I found to have quite a few FTEs with UMC yellow box and the remginton greenbox but WWB has worked for more boxes than I can count.

(not to mention how damn god awful dirty remington stuff is not to be wolf or surplus)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have atleast 3500 rounds through my XD9 and had one failure and that was when it was really really dirty and at the time i was putting too much oil on it. after that one time, things have been smooth as silk and I bet my life on it....literally.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My XD9 had over 2000 rds. of WWB through it before I had a FTE. It was just dirty around the extractor and with a good cleaning and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have about 1700 rounds through my XD9, and I have not experienced even one FTE/FTF. Not one. I have been experimenting with lot's of different rounds... UMC, Remington, Winchester, etc.. no problems. I have found that I have better results with better ammo, but I haven't found that the thing wont fire when fed the least expensive ammo.

I have had some surface rust show up.. the funny thing about that is that I have removed the finish from parts (the visible portion of the barrel, and the grip safety) and those have never showed any signs of rust.. but on the finished slide, I get some really light surface rust. It's no big deal, I can literally wipe it off with a cloth.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
9mm lover said:
Are XD springs heavy in anticipation of people using hotter loads, causing FTEs with mild ammo?
The factory springs are not heavy, you can judge that by how far the empties fly. You can usually shoot the 9mm with up to a 22# spring vs the factory 18#.

I think the extractor is still a problem for the FTEs that are happening.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Don said:
9mm lover said:
Are XD springs heavy in anticipation of people using hotter loads, causing FTEs with mild ammo?
The factory springs are not heavy, you can judge that by how far the empties fly. You can usually shoot the 9mm with up to a 22# spring vs the factory 18#.

I swear someone here once said a weak spring will throw the brass farther away fron the gun. :?:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one-eyed-fatman said:
Don said:
9mm lover said:

I swear someone here once said a weak spring will throw the brass farther away fron the gun. :?:
The weaker the spring, the faster the slide moves. The faster the slide moves the faster the empty brass is moving when it hits the ejector. The faster the brass is moving when it hits the ejector the farther it will fly. Therefore, the weaker the spring, the farther the brass will fly.

By the way Don, what kind of problem do you think there is with the extractor?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The weaker the spring, the faster the slide moves. The faster the slide moves the faster the empty brass is moving when it hits the ejector. The faster the brass is moving when it hits the ejector the farther it will fly. Therefore, the weaker the spring, the farther the brass will fly.
All true. Ideally, your brass should fly 6-8 feet from your shooting position. If necessary, adjust the spring (replace with one of different poundage) to get this distance if you have a Don's Guide Rod, and all should be good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts