Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend recently bought a Glock 22C. This is the first ported pistol I have fired. I was impressed. We were shooting 180gr 40SW and the porting made getting back on target (plates in this case) really fast.

Anybody have comments about their ported XD? I am thinking of an XD40 V-10, or maybe sending my XD Tactical to MagnaPort.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Ask Overkill about his.

Also, you might want to read the thread about 15 below yours about ported 40s. Might give you some insight from those who have or had them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a XD9 V-10 and loved it, yeah 9mm isn't an unbearable cartridge to start with but there is nothing wrong with making a good cartridge better. The porting really kept the muzzle down and made quick follow up shots easier.
I sold it when I got my CHL (CCW) because I don't think a ported gun is a good carry gun. But if your looking for a range/competition gun I'd deffinetly consider it.

ETA: the porting does make it a little harder to clean and it's rough on the front sight.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

Pros: Less muzzle flip. Faster follow-ups. Looks cool.
Cons: More parts get dirty. Front sight gets black (Buy nightsights). Flash can blind you at night. Can't practice firing from retention.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Also remember that if you want to shoot USPSA matches the ported barrel bumps you to the Open class and you will be competing against really fancy gun holding 29 rounds with nifty optical sights and all. Not sure where porting puts you in IDPA matches. That may not be important depending on what your going to use the gun for. If you do get the V-10 and later want to shoot USPSA you can always put a non-ported barrel in it and shoot Limited or Limited-10.

Cool picture [TASF]Overkill.

Rambling
mcb

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Thanks Overkill, I knew you would respond to his thread title and I recalled some of your past comments about your ported gun in other threads. It should certainly help him make his decision.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My desire for a ported gun is just for fun, not for competition or carry. However since money is always an issue buying a ported pistol will not be my first priority.

Year-round, I probably spend an average of 1.5 hour/week on the range. While I like variety, I have found that I shoot the best when I shoot the same gun, same ammo week after week. So it occures to me that shooting a ported gun might spoil one's shooting skill when returning to the full recoil, unported pistols.

Thanks to all for the comments.

BTW, the night photo the gas jets from a poted pistol are cool!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts