Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new xdm and wanted your allls comments and help me try to make a decision.. i currently own my first and only pistol which is a xd9, i was wanting to get a xdm before the first of the year but not real sure which one to buy. i want somehting to carry eventually so i was thinking a 40 but then also thought about the xdm9 so i was wondering what you all thought about it... i know 40 will be more expensive to shoot but i am goint to start reloading soon so that will help on the cost of shooting and so realistically reloading 9 and 40 will be about the same (cheaper than buying new) so that being said wat do you all think. should i stick with a 9 or go bigger.. and obviously i will want to just shoot some lead in the ground so it wont be just a SD gun.. and more than likely when the time comes and if i can still get it after obama gets in maybe get a subcompact for CCW so:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I say get the .40. The .40 will add something different to your collection and introduce you to another caliber.

I was in a similar situation. I already have an XD9 and a Kimber 1911. I really liked the XDM but debated over caliber. I eventually purchased the XDM 40 because I already had a 9mm and .45 and wanted to add something different. Additionally, I like the XDM in 40 because that is the caliber the gun was designed around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The XDm is a large gun with some heft, so it handles the recoil of a .40 very well, better than most for sure. Get the .40 so you have both to choose from.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I 've had everything from .32 to a 44 mag as my primary carry weapon.I am carrying a .40SW now and think it the best combination of power and controllability.You can't go wrong with an XD either.

·
Registered
815 Posts
ill be the odd man out and say get the 9. you already have a 9 so u wont have to buy another caliber. plus 19+1 is pretty sweet. and since it will double as a HD and range gun, even if u reload, 9 is still cheaper. just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill be the odd man out and say get the 9. you already have a 9 so u wont have to buy another caliber. plus 19+1 is pretty sweet. and since it will double as a HD and range gun, even if u reload, 9 is still cheaper. just my 2 cents.
that is kind of wat kept me going back to the xdm 9 cause i would already have ammo for it but then my other thought was, if i got the 9 i wouldn't shoot my regular xd because i would have the xdm..

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Buy both. That's what I'm going to do. Bought the 40 now it's time for the 9. I cant wait for income tax time:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
while I like the balistics of the .40 I dont care for it much in regards to shooting it. I prefer a .45. But its just personal preference. I like the XDM in 9mm.

I say get what you shoot best. If you should both as well the get the
40. Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Get Both. Thats what I did.... sort of! I bought the XDM .40, the 9mm conv barrel 2 9mm mags, dons guide rod, and lighter spring. Now I can switch by simply swapping barrel, spring and mag.

·
Registered
208 Posts
.40 all the way...more stopping power, and still is a smooth shooting gun (XDm-40).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Get Both. Thats what I did.... sort of! I bought the XDM .40, the 9mm conv barrel 2 9mm mags, dons guide rod, and lighter spring. Now I can switch by simply swapping barrel, spring and mag.
How's that conversion working out? I'm thinking about doing the same thing but I've heard alot of people talke about FTF's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How's that conversion working out? I'm thinking about doing the same thing but I've heard alot of people talke about FTF's.
Well had a few issues with FTF, so I ordered 2 9mm mags, I'll post as soon as they come in. Adjusting the .40 mags to work, just didn't do the trick. The lighter recoil spring did help, and hopefully with the new mags everything will be good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Doesn't .357 sig lend itself easier to a swap? Same diameter casing so same mags, but basically superior ballistics in a 9mm projectile than the 9x19? Still have to swap barrel and spring like on other brands.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
get the 40.

it is one of the best SD rounds IMO

·
Registered
174 Posts
Shot placement is more critical than caliber. A 9mm in the head is more effective than a 44 Magnum is to the chest. I went with the XD(M)-9 for the higher capacity, cheaper ammo, and lighter recoil for faster follow-up shots.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The stopping power of 9mm v. .40 v. .45 is trivial at best. And if there is a concern over personal defense with the limited ballistic statistics between the three-- bullets are cheap so give them a few.

I have been shooting .45 for years. Now I am back to 9mm with my recent purchase of a XD(M) 9mm a few days ago. I wanted it for it's capacity and lower cost to shoot. Plus I figured Obama is going to make a firearm like this difficult, if not impossible, to purchase in the near future.

I have no justification really, but I am not a .40 fan. My only excuse may be that I have a Dillon and it is easy to tell the difference between 9mm and .45. Adding a .40 to the mix would just make reloading more error prone with the slight size difference between the three.

Off the cuff, I'd say stick with 9mm.

/tg

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shot placement is more critical than caliber. A 9mm in the head is more effective than a 44 Magnum is to the chest. I went with the XD(M)-9 for the higher capacity, cheaper ammo, and lighter recoil for faster follow-up shots.
These are the exact reasons I am buying the 9mm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts