Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from FS. I was the only XD on my range (40 people). There were about 20 Glocks. I put at least 700 rounds through the gun without a hiccup. This included night shooting (one handed), clearing malfunctions (they were set up), and competition. Awesome handgun! I saw many jams and a few breakdowns...Glocks do break (the instructor told us about his frame cracking).

At check in there is a weapons inspection. The guy checking my bi-tone XD said he hadn't seen one like mine. I told him that he must be kidding, he said, "not this pretty." From then on the two guys I was with said I had the pretty gun.

Those of you who have been to FS know the time you spend chamber checking. When they said chamber check I said done while everyone else was messing with their gun. The instructor said that my gun was cool but I should learn to chamber check the way they were teaching.

Lots of people were asking about the XD, it may be the way to break the ice for conversation but these are the comments.
It was called pretty.
It was called cool.
The trigger pull was called, "way better than any stock Glock".
The magazines were called very nice compared to Glock (drop free was an advantage in emergency reloads).
Ambi release gave me an "unfair" advantage for tactical reloads and clearing malfunctions.
One guy said he got a Glock because it was what everyone else had but he wanted an XD, but when his Glock broke they fixed it there for him (they would not be able to fix and xd).
One guy called accused me of shooting so well because of my "expensive" gun. ???? maybe he was teasing.

I must say that this XD worked flawless and seems to be the ideal handgun for the four day course at FS. I would not want to have my first shot in a controlled pair to have a different trigger pull than my second shot (like sig) or mess with the safety on the 1911 (there were many however).
The one disadvantage is that if you have a Glock and you have a problem, it can be handled at FS while they would not be able to fix your XD (just bring another XD as the back up).

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Nice report and good representation of the XD crowd.

Glad to see you had a fine time...and probably sold a couple of XD's.

bd

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hmm, seems about normal. Glock snobs hate to have their immage of their "invincible gun" shattered by the XD. Glad you had a good time and gave the XD soem positive exposure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to FS in June and I'm still trying to decide if I want to take the Practical Rifle course or the Defensive Handgun course. I'll be taking my XD though. That's good to get a report from someone that has actually used an XD at Front Sight. Hopefully mine works as well as yours did.

My biggest concern is that I only have one handgun, so I'd be concerned that something would happen to my XD and I'd have no back up, and as you mentioned, they can't fix it. Guess I'd just have to rent something.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I did the 4 day Defensive Handgun... waste of time.

I would go back and do the rifle or shotgun. We had too many newbies to shooting in our handgun class. I was covered twice, my friend, at least 3 times.

Numerous AD's...........

If the groups were smaller and they had more instructors it would be better. I think i only fired 450 rounds out of the 1200 that i brought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts