Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just recently found out about combination shotguns and rifles. Apparently I've been living under a rock.

Anyway, I'm looking for information on the combo's. What can you tell me about 'em?

Here's what I know (or think):
A combo shotgun rifle sounds awesome in a survival situation. Granted you have more types of ammo to carry, but you only have 1 gun.

I'm thinking the .410/ .22 combo for the wife. I'm a little worried here as it sounds like .410 might be hard to come by. I'm also wondering about .410's effectiveness. Is it underpowered like I've heard? What's good to hunt with a .410? Then I was thinking the .22 for little varmint's if needed.

In this caliber selection I've heard the SA M6 scout is good, but are they readily available? I've heard the Rossi's can be good and light whereas the savages can be really heavy (kind of a big deal to me). Is this true?

Then I heard about 20 ga/ .22. This sounds awesome! Better than a .410, but you still get a little .22 for small game hunting. I'm thinking this combo would be better. I see some Rossi's here in this area, any others? I'm thinking one of the above 2 would be good for the wife.

Then a Google search turned up a 12 gauge / .308 combo. The only one I could find was a Tikka and it's rather expensive. I'm thinking this would be a good gun for me to have. Between the wife and I we'd have 4 options in only 2 guns. Pretty versatile. Any other manufacturers that might be a little cheaper?

Any other combo's or options I should know about? Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
410 would be my very last choice. Ammo selection is limited and it's a close range round for all but the experts.

Rossi has a 20/.223 combo. That would be an awesome choice if you didn't want something with a 12.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
410 would be my very last choice. Ammo selection is limited and it's a close range round for all but the experts.

Rossi has a 20/.223 combo. That would be an awesome choice if you didn't want something with a 12.
Nice! I haven't heard of that combo.

·
Registered
19,872 Posts
I don't really see the appeal of the combo guns. I think they may be more popular where you are limited on number of firearms you can own.

you've doubled up on the heaviest part. you compromised on sites and you'll probably only be using 1/2 of it in any given outing.

I could possibly see a 12ga/308 with for stalking a deer. buck if he is close and moving, the rifle if he is a bit further out and stationary. It might have got 1 more deer that ended up getting away in my hunting career. not sure if its worth it for the added weight and no magazine feed though. If I was thinking ahead, the 1 time I could have used it, I could have had 2 long guns with me just as easy. I was basically posting at the camp that time.

I guess you could do the same with the shotgun/22 for small game, but you probably won't be seeing small game outside the range of the gauge.

I'd rather have a break open and a range of different barrels to put on, or better yet; a couple different guns.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I use my neighbor's 20 ga/.22 lr (i think it might be a savage? its real old) everytime I go squirrel or rabbit hunting. That thing is the sH!t for small game. In the case you spook the game, shotgun. If theyre standing still the .22 is perfect. If you want one for either of those two animals I highly recommend one.

If you want it just for target shooting or screwing around, buy yourself two seperate guns. Theyre REALLY bulky and unwieldy...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wired, Savage made a 410/22 O/U combo - the Model 24. It also came in a 20 gauge/22 combo. I have the 410 version that my dad passed down to me. It is very accurate and one of my favorite guns to shoot just for fun. The downside to the 410 is that the shells are not cheap.

I don't hunt but I believe the 410 is good for small bird and game, maybe some larger 4 legged creatures if you use slugs. I would check the local gun shows to see if you can find one to see if your wife likes it.

Good luck, Dew

·
Registered
19,872 Posts
a .410 slug should be able to take a deer. Its probably somewhat close to a 44-40 out of a lever gun.

I think the price of .410 has driven more than a few to reloading if they shoot it much.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys!!

I heard the Savage's were heavy. One person said he was tired of carrying it after buying one at a gun show, walking around, and then taking it to the car. Do you guys you take the Savage's out fell the same?

I'm looking for a survival rifle. Ultimately, it probably will be a range gun, but if TEOTWAWKI happens, I would like to have one or two of these.

The .410 ammo kind of scares me. I hear it's underpowered and expensive. I'm thinking a 20ga/.22 would be better as you're more likely to find 20 ga ammo in a survival situation and you could hunt a little bigger.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
My neighbor's Savage is pretty heavy, but since this is obviously what you want i'd say go for it. Just dont get the .410....useless caliber if ever there was one. Go for the 20/.22

·
Registered
40 Posts
They are good double guns regardless, and each cal has its own application, lol even the .410! My gpa had a 20/.22, its a great combo, no need to reload! Very vesatile and seen some that could be scoped (see thru mounts for the shotty side).

·
Registered
730 Posts
They are good double guns regardless, and each cal has its own application, lol even the .410! My gpa had a 20/.22, its a great combo, no need to reload! Very vesatile and seen some that could be scoped (see thru mounts for the shotty side).
This is a really interesting post!

The discussion reminded me of spending nearly every night reading "Boys Life" magazine with a flashlight. The "cartoon strip" advertising of a boy my age shooting a snarling bobcat ("Great shot, son!") with a Savage 22/.410 over/under really captured my young imagination. I used to fall asleep hoping I would dream about hunting "dangerous" animals threatening me or my family.

Thanks for posting the thread.....thanks for the reminiscence. Oh, that was in 1957 and, no, I have never purchased one. Perhaps I'm waiting for them to be perfected.

One Eye Jack

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have a M-6 scout in 410/22 hornet. First deer shot was with 410, one shot, one kill. Have taken lots of small game over the years with 410. No problems with the 410, just have to know its limits. New to the 22 Hornet. Bought it due to getting good deal on it. Now just seems retro cool to have.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
After watching "Out of the Wild"
Out Of The Wild : Discovery Channel
Where all they had was a .22/.410 I became interested in these myself. Even untrained shooters managed to take a lot of small game with it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have a Baikal over-under combo gun.

A 222 Remington over a 12 gauge shotgun. Mounted an old 6 power Leupold on the thing.

It used to be my Turkey/varmint gun and worked very well.

Heavy and a tad unwieldy....its fine for use in a blind, but not something you want to stalk with or carry all day.

- brickboy240

1 - 16 of 16 Posts