Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this rifle at a pawn shop back in the 70's and paid almost nothing for it because the "cocking handle" was broken off. That cocking handle was the only nylon piece on the entire rifle - no idea why they made it out of nylon but I remember seeing a nylon stock Remington rifle about 1960 so I guess they were interested in the potential of nylon.

Anyway for the first week or so, just to test out the rifle, I would carry a hardwood dowel to push the slide back and cycle the first round and once cocked it would auto-load and worked great. I cut a chunk of aluminum to rough shape with a coping saw and then shaped it with files until I had a good fitting replacement handle and it is still working great after all these years. I worried that aluminum wouldn't be strong enough but I only had simple hand tools and didn't think I could manage it from steel.

Here's the piece I made - yeah, the rifle was all scratched up when I bought it. I'm guessing from the previous owner trying to cock it with a screwdriver or a claw hammer or a rock or something :ROFLMAO: I don't think I paid more than $10-15 for the rifle and besides I kind of like beat up looking gear.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

Anyway ... just curious if anyone else has ever owned one of these little colt rifles? I've always really enjoyed it -- I guess because, although it is an autoloader, it still has that look from all the westerns on TV I watched as a kid (I still prefer Western style revolvers even though my XD is much more practical for the world I live in today). My eyes are getting so old that I can't focus on both the sights and the target at the same time so I put a Red Dot on the Colteer a few years ago and that works great to put the dot and target at the same focus. This rifle is just as much fun now as it was back when I bought it 50 years ago.

Font Air gun Line Shotgun Trigger

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found a picture of the original part and looks like I can buy one for $32 ... but I kind of like my rough DIY part:
Font Eyelash Monochrome photography Fashion accessory Monochrome

·
Administrator
22,444 Posts
Oh man, that is rough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I wonder if they chose nylon for this part for less friction where it slides on the rod? My aluminum DIY piece hasn't worn out in the 50 years since I made it but I clean it regularly and put a dab of teflon grease where the rod slides thru. I deliberately left the handle shorter and more rounded off so it doesn't catch on things. Still has good grip to cock the rifle.
Product Textile Grey Headgear Pattern

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ruger uses aluminum on theirs with no problems and I’ve seen a few of them pretty worn but still functioning. Colt was probably just being cheap! :D The bean counters got in the way. Although I did take apart one of those Remington nylon 66 rifles that had a pretty rough life and was amazed at the lack of wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts