Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my range today, asking them a question about them receiving an AR for me (found a deal elsewhere), when the owner asked me if I was interested in an AR he had there at his shop. According to him, it was a Colt SP2 (?), manufactured before the ban on manufacture of automatic weapons for sale to US civilians (1986), and therefore could be converted to full auto with purchase of the full-auto equipment (sear?) and the required tax stamp.

Because of its manufacture date, he claimed it was more valuable, and had previously had it priced at $1500, but it hadn't been sold for so long that the price had been reduced down to $850. He did say it was used, but I'm so used to (these days) seeing very high prices for anything in stock (let alone anything of real interest) that my interest has been piqued.

Thoughts? Is it really that valuable? Or is it just another used AR?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If it's in decent shape any colt AR15 is worth at least $850.

I don't know about the rest of the stuff he was spouting.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Wow, sounds like a con job to me. Several reasons. While everything he said is somewhat accurate, the Colt he offered to you MAY NOT have any special extra value as a potential conversion to select fire.

Probably, you can't LEGALLY convert that "SP2" to select fire by machining the lower to take the required M16 auto sear group. Don't even THINK about doing so. It will earn you 3 to 5 doing HARD TIME with big bubba.

The Volker Admendment (mispelled here?) of 1986 (?) probibited any NEW automatic weapons to be manufacured for the qualified general public. You can't do it, so don't even think about it. Not worth the slam time.

However, perhaps he meant a registered gadget called an auto connector or "Lighning Link" Basically these are very secret pieces of sheet steel and aluminum that can convert a SP1 Colt to full auto fire only.

Problem is these LEGAL REGISTERED gadgets are going for at least $10-12 grand...if you can find one. Sooos, what he said is technically true, you can convert that SP1 Colt to full auto only if you can find that legal part.

Other than that, the Colt he offered to you probably has a retail value based upon its condition, availability and the other usual stuff; not because it has extra value to to a legal conversion. Not probable.

The only other POSSIBILITY is that the Colt he is trying to sell you has been already registered with the BAFTE with an intent to convert to select fire way back in 1986 or soosss, which would make it very valuable indeed.

If that is the case, then his Colt is worth at least $10 grand and possibly $12 because all that MAY be needed is confirming with the BATFE, doing the paper work, waiting, getting the stamp and converting the gun.

But...to do that, you would have to go thru a Class 3 dealer, jump thru all the hoops and the price of that 'SP2" would be over ten thousand dollars. Only 39 states or soos allow the legal ownership of select fire weapons.

Hope this helps. It has been over 20 years since we had the class 3 license, soosss it is quite possible I don't have it entirely correct, but I believe the basics have been covered here. Good luck. HB of CJ

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks--the replies were about what I was expecting.

The shop owner wasn't trying to tell me to do anything illegal. I think what he was trying to say was that only pre-Volker Amendment (1986) firearms were eligible to receive a legally registered 'lightning link' (I knew there was an expensive registered part to be acquired, but I wasn't sure), and because of that his firearm was more valuable.

Is that part true? IE, could you take a new AR right off the shelf, jump through all the BATF hoops, find an auto connector, and have a legal fully automatic firearm? Or does the base firearm (well, lower) have to be pre-1986? Also, is there anything else special about an SP-2 (upgrades, better quality equipment, ect)?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I'm stretching here, but I think (maybe wrong) that the "Lightning Link" is considered to be an automatic weapon in itself because it has the required BATFE registered serial number on it and tax stamp.

Might be possible to swap guns around that single expensive legal part and it doesn't matter what year the doner guns were made in. Understand this is fuzzy, what we really need here is some help.

Maybe someone else here who is either a current Class 3 Dealer and just knows all of this stuff, or someone who has legal, "stamped" automatic weapons along with a legal "Lightning Link" will set us all straight.

If memory serves, (?) the "Lightning Link" only worked with specific types and model of Colt carrier and bottom end parts which I know, but shall not name. Newer AR15 models are all different. HB of CJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts