Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know much about the Python other than I've heard people talk them up. I also have heard they are getting hard to come by. This is my question - I had a chance to buy one recently at my local GS for just under a grand, brand new in a walnut box w/green velvet lining. I passed on it. Is this something I should kick myself for or not. If so how hard.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
At one point I owned several revolvers including a Python. The only one I still have is the Python. After shooting it the others never left the safe. They've definitely gone up in value and for a shooter it's a great weapon. If you can afford to buy it, it's a good move.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
There is no such thing as new concerning the Python.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I frequent the Colt forum and I frequently hear about scams with 'new' Pythons and fake boxes. Be aware of that. If you can get a Python for <$800 it is a steal, they seem to run $1000-1200 and up depending. If you are really interested you should start doing your homework on them and know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I have it now. I really mucked it up on that one. New being that it had never been registered to anyone. I didn't really know a lot about the weapon because I had never been interested in one. It's just that I saw one for sale and it being "new" was surprising. Should have bought it just like my little gunslinger in my head was telling me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK OK OK, thanks I'm done now. I knew they stopped production in the eighties I believe, that's what struck me about the sale. And yes I can taste my own toes right now & not sure if I'll ever get my boot back out or even want it back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK OK OK, thanks I'm done now. I knew they stopped production in the eighties I believe, that's what struck me about the sale. And yes I can taste my own toes right now & not sure if I'll ever get my boot back out or even want it back.
Don't feel bad, I did worse had one and sold it back in '85. Carried it on duty, but was right when double stacked 9mm were starting to come out so I traded the 6 shot and 2 speed loaders (18 rounds) for a 12 shot 9mm with 2 clips, was the first on the dept to carry a auto...but looking back should have kept that gun:(

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I LOVE my Python. :D Get one if you ever have a chance. :cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JoeUO1 that hurts more than I can tell you. I had and have the $. That was not the issue. The issue was for me I don't collect guns other than shooters. Being they are no longer in production it would have just sat in the safe. Now I see that would have been a smart move. And before anyone says it I would most likely end up shooting it. Oh, well whoever has it I hope they are pleased with it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I recently acquired a 6in Python at auction for $790 + shipping. I was shocked that I was not outbid. The gun does have scratching into the metal on the crane near the trigger guard. Otherwise, it is GTG. I cannot wait to get it to the range.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One of, if not. the finest revolvers every made, Smooth as silk. When they were $400 I could not afford one so I got really nice Smiths instead. Now they are over $1000. I suppose the old timers that tuned these babies at the Colt factory are all died or retired. Not sure CNC can duplicate the craftsmanship. I should have bite the bullet and brought one in the old days

·
Registered
338 Posts
I really don't know much about the Python other than I've heard people talk them up. I also have heard they are getting hard to come by. This is my question - I had a chance to buy one recently at my local GS for just under a grand, brand new in a walnut box w/green velvet lining. I passed on it. Is this something I should kick myself for or not. If so how hard.
Get a big pair of Boots!
But keep youre eyes open You will eventually find another Colt Python.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts