Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago my dad gave me a revolver which had belonged to my mother's father. It is a Colt Police Postive in .38 S&W. I have never shot it, but I am sure it would shoot. I have 10rds for it. It is a SA/DA.

Anyone know much about these? Anyone own one? Anyone know where to buy .38 S&W ammo?

Pics to follow shortly

·
Registered
297 Posts
Might check Sportsman's Guide.

I have a Police Positive also...it's a .32. I have never even contemplated buying .32 ammo in my life. Neat little historical gun though....maybe an ancestor to the pocket gun?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 1910 CPP Special chambered in .32-20. Its not functional and I use it as a classroom training gun. All I can say is that folks had some mighty small hands back then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
38 S&W can be reloaded from trimmed down 38 special cases. Also it can be acquired from older fashion gunshops as it was a popular round back at the turn of the century up to about 1930 or so.

My dad has a 32-20 Police Positive, light round but a fun medium round to shoot with, i wouldn't hesistate to take it out anytime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
BTW, looks like a chip out of the one grip handle, this is pretty common on the early grips. Otherwise, from the quality of the pix, it looks like it is in great shape for being 80-100yrs old

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know anything about your particular gun put it looks a lot like my grandfathers Colt Detective Special.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You may also want to look up similar models on the online gun auction/brokers to see what they sell for these days. This would give you a good idea of what its worth.

Looks great!!!

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies; I found ammo for it on ammoengine.com. Sometime in the near future I'll go out an shoot it and let ya'll know! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts