Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
foxnews

I think that if the Ruger SR556 won the contract, I would break every rib I had guffawing. Not laughing, friends. Guffawing.

I can almost hear the gun snobs' brains lock up at the thought.

Anyway... I don't think this will even happen. Wasn't HK supposed to make some super rifle, XM8 or something, to replace the M16/M4 years ago?

Also, the era of small arms warfare is pretty much drawing to a close. It's all drones and bombers from here on out, folks!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
When you consider that the Whitehouse will need the disclosure of all political affilliations/contributions before contracts are awarded ... I don't see how any US firearms manufacturer is going to be awarded a contract.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Not drones & bombers. Training a soldier is still cheaper than a Predator or robot, cheaper to replace.
There will always be infantry human soldiers

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
IMO the M4 has long outlived its utility. I carried its predecessor, the Colt CAR-15, in Vietnam 40 years ago.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also, the era of small arms warfare is pretty much drawing to a close. It's all drones and bombers from here on out, folks!
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but it's pretty much impossible to actually hold territory without troops on the ground. Bomb all you want, people will just flee and return when the sorties are over. Troops on the ground, on the other hand, can secure an area continuously and much more precisely.

Also, drones and bombers can't sweep house to house, finding and detaining specific people. That's still a very important task in the kinds of conflicts we seem to love getting into.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I wonder if they will settle on a regular assault rifle design or will choose a bullpup like a few other countries have?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anybody else find it odd the Chuck Shumer is a strong supporter of Remington? I know they have a plant in Illion, NY, but he votes for every gun ban that comes to the floor. :confused: I guess he wants businesses in his state to only make money off the government.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
man just picture all those old rifles our military will have that will need to go on sale ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
IMO the M4 has long outlived its utility. I carried its predecessor, the Colt CAR-15, in Vietnam 40 years ago.

Will Colt or any manufacturer invent a new infantry weapon platform? It seems the odds are stacked against it. Too many Stoner type platforms that are used by multiple countries and alliances.

I believe the Armalite rifle will continue to evolve to accommodate changes in sights, ammunition, manufacturing methods, materials, and the changing face of warfare.

Evolutionary not revolutionary.

One Eye Jack

·
Registered
403 Posts
The plan is for a phased transition. M16s will be replaced by M4s, which will themselves be replaced by whatever wins the contract. There's no reason for them not to change designs if they like one better than the AR style.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It is not really about the basic design. It is about passing the current issues of fighting in a hot sandbox, yet also be versatile in all other terrain. The "torture" tests.

Whatever design that may be (Stoner, DI, Piston, etc), that is what will be purchased, given the lowest bidder ;-)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The XM8 was cancelled in 2005 due to the US/Nato deciding to go with an improve Colt m4 for the time being. Then there was the scar tournement, which the FN SCAR was approved, then cancelled by the us. Now they are looking again at other ideas.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I see nothing wrong or against Colt in this. i think it is natural for them to look at an upgrade. The M4 has had a relatively long life. Better is out there, American or not. If our troops can attack the enemy, protect and defend them and us better/more effectively, then I am all for it...American made or not.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The XM8 was cancelled in 2005 due to the US/Nato deciding to go with an improve Colt m4 for the time being. Then there was the scar tournement, which the FN SCAR was approved, then cancelled by the us. Now they are looking again at other ideas.
Actually, not 100% correct as far as the SCARs go. The SCAR-L, the 5.56 version, was cancelled because it was too similar to existing options, but the SCAR-H, the 7.62 version, was retained. From what I hear, the military has been having some problems engaging with 5.56 at range, and wanted new 7.62 options for more effective medium range firepower.

·
Registered
841 Posts
According to the article, they want something more lethal, accurate, and reliable...

1. Contact Springfield
2. Purchase M1a rifles
3. ???????
4. Profit

:)

Seriously, though, it does seem like it's about time for a new primary infantry rifle, possibly a bullpup design due to the more compact size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts