Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a core 15 upper that is close to mill spec standards. For 500$, shall I trade it in for cash and get a colt le6920 for 1175 out the door or build the rest of mine for 800. I want this gun to last forever with proper care.
Want to use this gun for a multitude of purposes.

Just curious on what maybe some of you guys did or think. This is my first ever AR-15.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea the upper was 450 total but I added magpul stuff on it. just don't know if it fits me. thinking about buying a quality rifle and be done for now. want a gun that can shoot 1000 rounds a year not always but around that number and a couple courses. Bad scenario and home defense.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
1000 rds a year? A Keltec could do that. even a carbon 15 could do that. what you want to ask yourself is how many per session. that will tell you what you're looking for. a robust rifle, or a sporting rifle.

I would honestly build the lower off of what you have. you will get the trigger you want and the stock that you want. the rest is rather inconsequential.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I am far from an ar expert, but these seem like pretty decent uppers. Staked gas keys, 4150 barrel, chrome lined, 1 in 7, mpi bolt.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I am far from an ar expert, but these seem like pretty decent uppers. Staked gas keys, 4150 barrel, chrome lined, 1 in 7, mpi bolt.
I've never really understood the whole gas key staking hubbub. Rocksett would more than suffice to keep the key in place. but the military doesn't use threadlocker for anything (they'd rather beat the hell out of it and have to replace it each time) so it's poo-poo'd to be inferior. I don't get it...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Makes me feel better that some of you think it's a good upper for a start. Like I said I'm a complete nub on a budget but want a very quality rifle that will serve any purpose I throw at it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Lowers are easy to build. Just need an armorer's wrench, a vise, and a 2x4 shaved down to fit the magwell. A couple screws here, a couple pins here and there, and its done. Tons of youtube videos.

I'll give you some perspective - at the last gun show I went to, complete lowers with FCG's and stocks were selling at $350 or so - that's all milspec parts too. You could easily build a great lower for a lot less than that.

PSA/Anderson Lower w/ transfer - $60-70
Lower parts kit minus trigger - $40
ALG ACT trigger - $60
Magpul CTR kit - $90 - $100

total: $260, and you could do it for less if you shop around or use coupons. PSA's black magpul lower runs $210, but I'd throw a better trigger in it like the ALG ACT trigger or a RRA NM trigger

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info It's much appreciated.
I think I'll just finish the build then and see if I like the end result.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Thanks for all the info It's much appreciated.
I think I'll just finish the build then and see if I like the end result.
Sounds good. At a minimum you'll have a working rifle and experience building one.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts