Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at finally getting a 1911. I am thinking either the Colt Gold Cup or Kimber CDP. I will be trading two XDs with some accessories to get one. It's time to downsize both the number of pistols and the calibers. I was just wondering in peoples opinion which is a better pistol. Thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've never had a Kimber but I've had my Gold Cup Series '70 since early '70. I'm pretty much partial to it. Paid $314.95 for it then but things have changed a little. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know about the CDP, but I really, really like my Kimber Custom II TLE.

I also really, really like my 2011 Gold Cup Trophy.

Is the pistol for home defense or will it be more of a trophy style, safe queen, range gun?

Home defense? Kimber with nights sights. (Not sure about the CDP though.)

Safe queen? Colt Gold Cup Trophy.

A Gold Cup Trophy, if you buy the current model, is a centennial edition with "C100" the grips.

You can't go wrong with either one and there are obviously more uses than HD and SQ. Get the pistol that will work best for its intended use, would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I am looking at finally getting a 1911. I am thinking either the Colt Gold Cup or Kimber CDP. I will be trading two XDs with some accessories to get one. It's time to downsize both the number of pistols and the calibers. I was just wondering in peoples opinion which is a better pistol. Thanks
Is your purpose for range work or CC? If CC, then I would say CDP. My CDP Pro has been a great gun.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Never owned a Colt, but I have owned a 9mm Kimber CDP Ultra.
Great gun, never a problem with it, before or after the mods..

Ultimately sold it when I bought my SA EMP.
The EMP, great gun before and after the mods....;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had 3 Colt Gold Cup's 80 series & 1, 70 Series, the 70 Ser. had tight slide-frame fit &
barrel to slide fit. But the 80's were very loose. I traded all the 80's for SA 1911-A1's
because the SA's were much tighter in those area's. I've had the SA's now for 22 yrs
& have never had a malfunction of any kind, they eat anything that fit's in the mag.
one of them will even feed empty brass for the mag. into the chamber, every time. I have fired over 100,000 rounds threw 1 of them & 70 some thousand threw the other.
One of them is still new in the box never fired.
I have 2 Kimber Custom II's, I'm keeping 1 of them new unfired in the box, & the other
I've run around 3500 rounds threw it with no problem's. The Kimber's are very tight, &
very accurate.

So if your choosing between Colt Gold Cup & Kimber I would go for the Kimber unless
Colt has started making them tighter & I really doubt that.

Denny
XD 5" 45acp
XD 4" 45acp
2- Kimber Custom II 5" 45acp
3, SA-1911-A1's 5" 45acp
3, Taurus PT-1911 5" 45acp
Glock 21 45acp
Glock 20 10MM
Colt Delta Elite 10MM
Ruger SP-101 38 spec.
Ruger GP-100 357
And soon to join the club
Remington 1911-R1 5" 45acp
Ruger SR-1911 5" 45acp

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I own a Kimber and two Colts. Both are great shooters.

If you are going to CCW the 1911....the CDP makes more sense.

If you want a range gun or open carry ranch pistol....the Gold Cup is not a bad choice.

The Colt will hold its value better and if I could only have one 1911...it would be a Colt.

They're different guns made for slightly different uses, really.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
576 Posts
I own a Kimber and two Colts. Both are great shooters.

If you are going to CCW the 1911....the CDP makes more sense.

If you want a range gun or open carry ranch pistol....the Gold Cup is not a bad choice.

The Colt will hold its value better and if I could only have one 1911...it would be a Colt.

They're different guns made for slightly different uses, really.

- brickboy240
I also have one Kimber and two Colts. Each has been accurate and dependable. The intended use would determine my choice between them, but I tend to prefer Colt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since I have a dozen or so Colt 1911s, including 2 Gold Cup National Match pistols, you can understand why I would choose the Colt. But Colt has been making 1911 pistols for 100 years so they must be doing something right.

Max

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've never had a Kimber but I've had my Gold Cup Series '70 since early '70. I'm pretty much partial to it. Paid $314.95 for it then but things have changed a little. :wink:
I wanted to get a Gold Cup for $300 many years ago, but my former wife objected. The cost was high, but I replaced her and now have several Colt pistols.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Gold cup

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Without knowing the intended purpose I'd say Colt no doubt. Less MIM parts, lifetime warrante, and well it's a Colt. They are now made with new CNC machinery and the quality blows away the Colts from the '90's.

BTW, it's not about how tight the slide is to the frame that makes a 1911 accurate. It's all about barrel lockup and bushing to barrel fit. The looser slide to frame fit only makes it run more reliable. Obviously if it's overly sloppy it's not good but Colt has been making these guns for 100 years now.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I believe Colts only have 1-3 MIM parts, total. They're all small parts like the mag catch and disconnector.

You might get a polymer mainspring housing on the Gold Cup, but my old M1991 Colt had one and it never gave me trouble. My TLE II has one and again...no signs of trouble. Easily replaced if it bothers you, too.

I'd probably go Colt, too. Both of my Colts are overall, very well made pistols and they are the original article.

Don't get me wrong...my Kimber TLE is a very nice shooter, but it will not re-sell like the Colt.

I also know nobody that has a Gold Cup and hates it.

-brickboy240

1 - 15 of 15 Posts