Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get a Colt CRP-18 for $1315.00 OTD, is there any reason in the world why I should not jump on it?

I shoot an AR, but I don't "know" them well. This gun would primarily be used for 3-gun competitions. Please school me.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Unusual configuration from Colt to say the least. Might you do better by going with a 20" HB Rifle with the A2 Rifle butt stock? We never could get the collapsible stock ridged or tight enough to make the platform steady. Also I think the 20" bbl would be better also, but that is just me. HB of CJ (old coot) hundreds of AR builds.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Would be perfectly fitted for 3 gun. 18 inch stainless barrel pretty much the standard in 3 gun now. The CRP has some nice features. If you can get it for that price I say go for it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you're 3 gunning, either that or the stag 3G are your best choices

By the way, my stag 3G was hitting 650yard steel pigs with a 4x scope like it was nothing. Even after shooting 100 rounds in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would be perfectly fitted for 3 gun. 18 inch stainless barrel pretty much the standard in 3 gun now. The CRP has some nice features. If you can get it for that price I say go for it.
If you're 3 gunning, either that or the stag 3G are your best choices

By the way, my stag 3G was hitting 650yard steel pigs with a 4x scope like it was nothing. Even after shooting 100 rounds in about 10 minutes.
Thanks guys... I was thinking a Leopold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x20 or the 3-9x40... Which would you fellas choose?

·
Registered
255 Posts
For 3 gun always start at 1ish. 1-4,5,6x is going to be your money maker.

I use the leupold vx-r patrol 1.25-4x with firedot SPR reticle.

It's illuminated and I really like the reticle

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I think Oscar Mike has you pointed in the right direction. I just shot my first couple of 3 gun matches this year and am running with just my iron sights for now, and may go to an optic at some point. From everything I've read the vx-r has good reviews as it is good glass without breaking the bank. From my reading it seems 1-ish - 4x was/is pretty common but 1-6x is becoming pretty popular now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What kind of money are you willing to put into an optic? If you're willing to put a grand into a quality optic... SWFA is the way to go

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Nothing local any good here in SW OR, so travel would be necessary. Tried it a couple times and found the sport very expensive. How much do you guys actually spend monthly? I would be curious. Would like to do it again, but I do not have the $$$.

We found that proper function with the gas port located so close to the muzzle to be always iffy. To compensate, most barrel guys will just open up the gas port diameter. When this is done, it throws off the delicate balance of time, pressure, temp, etc....

....affected the buffer group. All this MAY effect weapon life. An overgassed situation may be required to get the gun to run right. Also, FWIW, and IMHO, the gun looks very goofy. Ugly in fact. To each their own. Surprised Colt did it. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of money are you willing to put into an optic? If you're willing to put a grand into a quality optic... SWFA is the way to go
If it were just for me, I'd likely go with iron sights because I like a challenge, originality and least expensive entry. Oh yeah, im stubborn too! I have iron sights on my patrol rifle and don't see a need for anything else (I'm not a sniper).

However, this is for my son mostly and I want to set him up for success as much as I can with my budget ( which will always be a limiting factor for this game).

I would be willing to spend $500, but even feels too high.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
HP,

In addition to the VX-R that OscarMike mentioned, check out the Burris MTAC 1x-4x 24mm. As I have said, I'm running irons so no personal experience to speak of, but from what I've read it is one the best bang for the bucks optics to use in 3 gun. Think they run about $399.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts