Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...it looks like I might be able to wrangle one of these from a co-worker for an insanely low price.

(lets just say well below a grand)

What he has is an older Colt AR, that looks to be a dead wringer for this rifle:

Colt .223 AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine AR6520 NIB AR-15 Rifles - Small Manufacturers > Complete Rifle for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Robertson Trading Post. Buy or bid on this Colt .223 AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine AR6520 NIB in the category AR-15

It is a Colt AR-14 A2. On the side of the receiver, it says "Colt Ar-15 A2 Govt. Carbine .223"

The rifle is in better than average condition and he said he had not shot it very much. He has a black web sling and 1 20rd Colt mag and 1 30rd colt mag, that he said he bought with the rifle many years ago.

Now, I do not currently own an AR. In fact, my 223 experience stops with my ratty old Mini-14. However, this is a Colt and I might be reaching into the savings and snapping it up, as I really don't see these very often. He bought this rifle lightly used in the early 90s and is hard up for money.

I know...it has an A2 upper, but I use open sights on the Mini and really don't want to scope any AR I might buy.

I was looking into buying a new S&W M&P, Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine, Stag Mod 2 or maybe one of the other 800 dollar ARs out there...then this came along.

Would this make a good first AR? I am not looking to go to Gunsite or run a 3 gun match - this would be a ranch plinker for the most part. Mostly shooting Federal and Winny plain wrap 223 55gr stuff 90% of the time.

Is this a quality AR? It is a Colt....but I don't know which Colt models are good and which ones to avoid.

Any advice on this retro and cool old Colt AR would be appreciated. i kind of like it's feel and it seems like a really well put together rifle.

Thanks!

Brickboy240

·
Registered
17,758 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember if the barrel said 556, but the receiver did say 223. The barrel DID have 1/7 on it....does that help?

According to the AR gurus (and that chart) a 1/7 twist is a good thing...right?

Either way, all of the 223 in my house says "223" on it...not 5.56mm. Most of what I run through the Mini-14 is Wal Mart Federal bulk pack 223 55 grainers. I would suspect that if a 1976 ratty Mini-14 can digest box after box, the Colt SHOULD eat it no problemmo.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
749 Posts
At "well under a grand" if it's not worn out it's probably a killer deal. Colt, imo, can sometimes be unnecessarily expensive.. paying for the name and what not in comparison to other rifles of similar quality. Anyways, give it a good going over to make sure it's in good shape, look down the barrel, etc. I personally wouldn't worry about the 5.56 vs .223, but you may have other plans for the rifle compared to what I would be concerned with.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks nearly new and the guy said he rarely shot it. Certainly looks the part. Very clean and a tight fit...no wobble at all between receiver parts. The mags are hardly even scratched, either.

I can get this for about 100 dollars less than a new Stag, S&W or Bushy.

I guess...later on....I could swap the upper for a flat top if I wanted optics.

Still...it is a Colt...It would be nice to start at the top! LOL

-brickboy240

·
Registered
263 Posts
556 and 223 are different. An AR with a 5.56 barrel can shoot both 5.56 and .223 but a barrel stamped .223 can only shoot .223.

Also 1x7 twist is best from what I understand because it provides better stabilization due to fast twist for heavier grain bullets.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
1/7 twists means it will stablize the heavier .223 ammo, good thing for hunting.

I know a few of my AR friends that would love to have an older Colt as you have described.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds like a deal. A perfect KISS rifle, and a Colt. What are your waiting for?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He has bills to pay and like many Americans...is in debt and needs quick cash for emergency car repairs and his cards are maxed and does not have any savings.

Said he bought the thing back when Clinton brought on the ban (1994?) and really has no big use for it. He does have other guns....but wants to keep them.

Needs his car's a/c fixed more than he needs the AR. Its June in Houston and hellishy hot and humid.

I was really going to wait to buy a "beginning" AR, but this came up and i was thinking....why buy a so-so 800 dollar brand new AR (for plinking and playing around, mostly) when I can have a Colt?

- brickboy240

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sure..... I suspect you have already made up your mind. Get the 5.56 / .223 thing worked out and fire away. I think it is an AR you can be proud of.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Dude I'd say buy it. You get a great rifle and you help your buddy. If you want to shoot 5.56 out of it just change the barrel out later. Also unless you really want to shoot 5.56 it's fine as is with .223 especially for plinking. If you get the ar bug real bad well then build or buy more. Also though for 800 bucks you can get a spikes which is better than stag or bushmaster IMO.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It looks nearly new and the guy said he rarely shot it. Certainly looks the part. Very clean and a tight fit...no wobble at all between receiver parts. The mags are hardly even scratched, either.

I can get this for about 100 dollars less than a new Stag, S&W or Bushy.

I guess...later on....I could swap the upper for a flat top if I wanted optics.

Still...it is a Colt...It would be nice to start at the top! LOL

-brickboy240
Personally, I would pay $200-300 more for the Colt, before I would buy a Bushy or Stag. If I had to buy a cheap AR, a S&W or Spikes would be my choice. It sounds like you are getting a great deal on the industry standard. Unless someone has done some parts swapping, you should have a 5.56 chamber. Most likely the barrel is marked under the handguards, if you can't see it in front of the sight.

What is marked on the lower is immaterial. I have 6.8SPC ARs that also say .223 on the lower. The barrel says 6.8 SPC II 1:11, which is the important part.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I can get this AR for about 100 dollars less than a Spikes, Stag or S&W.

Worth it?

I think so...especially since I WANT to keep it open-sighted and simple and all of my 223 stash is Federal and Winny 55gr 223 anyways. I might put a set of the Trijicon night iron sights on the rifle at a later date. Other than that....extra mags is all I am adding. Keeping it simple, like my AK and Mini-14.

I got another look at it and I really think what he has is this rifle:

Colt Law Enforcement

The Colt 6520.

It has 223 marked on the lower, but the barrel says 5.56 NATO 1/7.

Is the thin barrel going to be a problem, when it heats up?

I do worry about the thin barrel, heating up and stringing shots like my Mini-14, but I don't hear about that problem with Colt ARs.

I think I am going to pick this rifle up real soon....its just too good to pass up and I might as well start out this whole AR thang with a Colt!

- brickboy240

1 - 14 of 14 Posts