Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not reeealy a Colt but it looks and feels like one on the outside. The interals are a mix of 1911 parts and a walther styled .22 lr. It's actually manufactured by Carl Walther and distributed by Umarex from Germany. I wanted a .22 that I could teach my wife how to shoot with. I was intrigued by the "pretend" 1911 and the price was right, about 370 at Academy Sports. I plan on shooting it tomorrow at work if I get a few mins. Anybody else have one of these that would like to give an opinion?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'm talking to myself on this one but I took the "Colt" .22 to the range and it is an awesome plinker. It's very accurate and flawlessly ate all the mixed cheapo .22 I could load in it. I shot about 350 rounds through it with no oil, no jams and I didn't even clean the packing grease out of it. I'm glad I got it as it is a very fun gun to shoot on the cheap. It feels like a quality pistol and shoots much better than I expected, especially for the price.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been looking at getting the same gun.
Just cant find any one near me that sells them.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was about to purchase a Walther P22 from Academy Sports when the guy behind the counter looked in the back and said, "ooh, what's this?...a Colt .22? I asked to see it and promptly bought it. It didn't even get a chance to make it from the loading dock to the show counter. If you have an Academy near by, I'd check there. Apparently they are just now getting them out to stores. (at least in my neck of the woods). If you find one, get it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It's actually manufactured by Carl Walther and distributed by Umarex from Germany.

Actually, that's slightly backwards> It's actually MADE by Umarex and dsitributed by Walther.

When it comes to Walthers - there are "real" Walthers like the P99 and PPS. And then the Walthers that are stamped "Walther," but are made by the airgun company Umarex (who owns Walther). The 22 cal Walthers are made by Umarex.

And, the Colt 22s are made by Umarex with just a Walther name on them.

Anyway - there is a thread here about the Colt 22 cal M4s that are made by Umarex: Colt M4 .22lr is crap! - Beretta Forum and http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351819

In my opinion, the Umarex made Walthers cannot hold a candle in quality to a "real" Walther. And, I personally would not buy one of the Colt 22s made by Umarex (either the rifle or the pistol).

I would personally buy the chiappa 1911-22 if ya just had to have a 22 cal 1911.

·
Registered
921 Posts
In my opinion, the Umarex made Walthers cannot hold a candle in quality to a "real" Walther. And, I personally would not buy one of the Colt 22s made by Umarex (either the rifle or the pistol).
I wont touch Umarex stuff, cheap zinc alloy stuff. Seen far to many of my friends umarex made stuff fail to put my own money into one.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I hope this one is better. So far it has been great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the GSG imported by ATI and it is a blast to shoot. I actually chose it over the Kimber and the Chiappa. Sig is also selling the same gun rebranded.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the GSG imported by ATI and it is a blast to shoot. I actually chose it over the Kimber and the Chiappa. Sig is also selling the same gun rebranded.
Doesn't that one come with one of those fake suppressors?

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes, they do have one with the fake can. since it already has the threaded barrel you can just get a real one.
ive heard really good things about the gsg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw the colt at academy when i was getting a beretta, looks like a blast to shoot have one question though, is the barrel threaded? Can't seem to find this out looking on the colt site.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. It comes threaded with a thread protector already screwed on. I believe it is the same thread pattern the P22 has.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was looking at the 1911-.22 today at the LGS. The Umarex is a POS. Looked like a 1911, but didn't feel like one. Cheaply made.

Now on the other hand the Sig Sauer 1911-.22 was a very nice piece IMO. The LGS didn't have the GSG version, but I think the one LGS with the range that I visit carries GSG, so I'll rent one before deciding.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate your comment and welcome your opinion but I have to disagree. I have already put over 1000 of the dirtiest .22 big box cheap rounds through it and guess how many failures I have had? Two, both dud rounds. In all of that I have only cleaned it twice and the first of those was before I ever fired it. It may in fact be made from lower quality metal but it is a rim fire .22. How sturdy does it need to be? It is also very accurate. 12 round one inch groups at 12 yards is simple with the cheapest Walmart ammo. I'm more than happy with it and recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I appreciate your comment and welcome your opinion but I have to disagree. I have already put over 1000 of the dirtiest .22 big box cheap rounds through it and guess how many failures I have had? Two, both dud rounds. In all of that I have only cleaned it twice and the first of those was before I ever fired it. It may in fact be made from lower quality metal but it is a rim fire .22. How sturdy does it need to be? It is also very accurate. 12 round one inch groups at 12 yards is simple with the cheapest Walmart ammo. I'm more than happy with it and recommend it to anyone.

I'm only holding my opinions to first impressions. And first impressions is huge in my book. I'm glad that it's working out for you, but compare to the other .22LR 1911's on the market in the same price range, there is better stuff.

So like I said before, looks like a 1911, but doesn't feel like one. Felt very cheaply made. The Sig version felt more like a true 1911 than the Umarex.

I've been involved in many different hobbies, and it always comes down to the final tag. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am curious about this Walther. I owned a GSG and was extremely happy with it until the slide cracked below the rear dovertail on the left. Davidson's replaced it, and the second GSG experienced the same failure; the first pistol blew up after 300-325 rounds, the second after 400 or so rounds. After doing some research I found that other people had discovered the same 'explosive personality' in their GSGs as well, two that I could find online. One in particular had the thing split all the way up and arc over to the ejection port; March of this year posted an update saying GSG had started using a steel breech face to try and resolve that issue (would post a link, but this is my first post. You can find the post and pictures on defensivecarry's website by searching GSG slide crack update.) However, after having two of the things spray powder and pot metal bits into my eyes, I've been searching for an equally affordable alternative. I've been told the Chiappa 1911-22 is a piece of garbage, and I have to say holding one in hand it felt pretty cheap, while the Walther I handled yesterday felt pretty solid, but then so did the GSG. GSG's slide is made from Zamak-5 if I'm not mistaken, does anyone know if the Walther is made from the same zinc alloy? Thoughts, suggestions, advice all appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P.S. The GSG fired CCI Blazers and Remington gold box ammunition almost flawlessly; three FTEs and two stovepipes between the two pistols and nearly 800 rounds. Winchester Wildercats, however, sometimes would not kick the slide back far enough and cause FTFs. I only used about 30 rounds before I decided to stick with the other two types of ammunition and save the wildcats for my Ruger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts